ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Guide to What Is and Isnt viewed as cheating.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: The Guide to What Is and Isnt viewed as cheating. Reply with quote

Feel free to post your own opinions on this one. I'm just tired of seeing threads with the title: "Is this considered cheating?"

http://wiki.scorehero.com/Cheating

Click Here for the sticky that includes every cheat code for each Guitar Hero game!

EDIT: More people have red this guide than the Announcement thread for the technique forums! Thanks for all the contributions guys!

What IS considered cheating:
  • No-Fail (Legal if you want to prove cutoffs)
  • Easy-Expert
  • Auto-kick
  • A Bot
  • Using tape/rubber bands to hold down a fret
  • Having someone else hold down a fret, strum, or hit select
  • Hacking of any kind (ie Custom Songs. an exact replica of a chart in GH1 put into GH3 cannot be used for scoring)
  • According to Deimos, Precision Mode is a cheat. i enjoyed that post btw.
  • Pro Face Off Mode. Scores that you get from PFO are considered illegitimate because you don't have to save SP for parts you would have failed otherwise. you must prove you can pass the whole song without SP before you can submit a PFO score.
  • Glitches (ie. the practice mode glitch in GH2.). Some glitches may be legal you should probably check with someone here though
  • Submitting Scores across systems (ie submitting a score you earned on 360 under Wii)
  • Submitting a rounded or false score

What is NOT considered cheating:
  • Dualshock/whatever the XBox controller is called/Wii remote
  • Hyperspeed
  • Large Gems
  • Any thing that alters the appearance of your guitar or guitarist (ie air guitar)
  • Using a rubber band to fix your whammy bar
  • Using any body part outside of the ordinary. you could strum with your dick for all i care, its legal
  • Using Select to activate star power.
  • Performance Mode
  • Using a non automated object to strum (ie. a reeltar pick, or as Nova said, a non vibrating dildo. I can read small fonts, buddy.).
  • Looking in a mirror for lefty flip (in league play this is considered cheating)
  • a Hyperspeed towel
  • Wearing Gloves
  • Using baby powder or other things to keep your hands dry
  • Using Grease or other things to keep your hands wet
  • Squeezing
  • Tapping Rubber to the strum bar (in essence this is basically wearing gloves)
  • Playing Keyboard style
  • Having someone make a path for you
  • Tick Glitching

What is not considered cheating, but is frowned upon:
  • Switching Controllers in the middle of a song (according to kuh-ray-zee[?] this is just frowned upon. This is still under debate but for now...)

What you should go to the Hardware forums about:
  • Homemade Mods to the guitar/controller that involves taking apart the guitar or controller

What we aren't quite sure about yet:
  • Pausing in the middle of a song
  • Using a drum pad (see FlorisJan's post on page 5)

Obviously this is oversimplified, but you if feel there is something else that needs to be added, feel free to drop me feedback. Maybe one day this will become a sticky and people will stop asking these questions. Maybe one day it will become a sticky and people will still ask these questions because people are like that :P. In any case thanks for all the help/feedback

If anyone wants to know, the third post or so has a quote from Deimos, im basically going on that definition of a cheat code for this thread, since the post is pretty good. check it out.

Now on Score Hero Wiki! look up cheating

Last edited by Shotgunmerc on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:57 am; edited 38 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
Quickshot657  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, um, thank you. Now we know.

Need Help with a Song? Well find the link in the above quote, because this is my Accomplishments Thread.
Colts100 vs. Rott3np3anut vs. SaM-
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might want to add is that playing a hacked copy of the game is cheating, no matter how minor the effect is. This means that things like adding additional hyperspeed to GH2 or replacing Joe Perry's fretboard in GH:A are not legal.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deimos wrote:
Alright, an addendum to my above post. I just went to go get some lunch, and while I was walking I thought of a good way to formalize my opinion about game-related "cheats". Note that this will only apply to settings inside the game (either built-in, or hacked-in), it doesn't cover controller modifications, performance-enhancing drugs, or any other type of cheating you want to come up with.

First, let me stress that the following explanation is theoretical. It is not important whether the experiment could ever be duplicated in the real world, it is the principles that are important.

================
Explanation follows:
================

Imagine some sort of setup involving two absolutely identical Playstation 2s. By this, I mean systems that will always have absolutely identical load times, if one stutters, the other does as well, everything they do is always perfectly synchronized once a song is selected. Connected to these two PS2s' controller ports is a computer that is capable of producing any sequence of inputs that a Guitar Hero controller (or any other PS2 controller) can create. Whenever it produces any sort of signal, it is sent to both PS2s absolutely simultaneously.

Now, load a totally "default" copy of Guitar Hero 2 in system#1, with no "cheats" enabled, nothing. System#2 will be used to cycle through various "modified" versions of the game. This can be versions with hyperspeed on, with slower scroll speeds hacked in, whatever you can possibly imagine. Once the modified version is loaded, have both systems select the same song. At this point, the theoretical system and input signal synchronization becomes relevant, having a hacked menu system or something is obviously meaningless.

Now, from the point in time where the song begins on both systems, my opinion is that if there exists any possible sequence of inputs the computer can send, for any song, that will produce a different score on system#2 than on system#1, then system#2's modification is cheating. That means that even if system#2's modified version was hacked to make it so that the 14th note of Search and Destroy on Medium will have a note window 0.01 seconds larger (and nothing else modified), that's cheating. There is theoretically a sequence of inputs that would hit the note on one system, and miss it on the other.

================
Explanation ends
================

Now, apply this definition of "cheat" to the codes currently in Guitar Hero 2:

Hyperspeed: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.
Air Guitar: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.
Eyeball Head Crowd: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.
Monkey Head Crowd: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.
Flaming Head: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.
Horse Head: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.
Performance Mode: not a cheat, same inputs always produce same score.

Well, that's odd. None of them qualify.

Now look at GH3, with its Precision Mode cheat. This supposedly makes the note windows smaller. With this modification, there will be plenty of potential input sequences that will produce a different score. Thus, it is a cheat. Yes, it makes it harder, so it's a crappy cheat to pick if you're trying to get high scores, but it's still a cheat.

There's my opinion. If you would like to try and change my mind, please form your argument by using logic, not just "the game uses the word 'cheat' so it's cheating."

Deimos is epic win. This post, if you are interested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to add the rubber band method of fixing a dodgy whammy bar to the "not cheating" section. It doesn't involve taking the guitar apart after all (well it can, depends if you're doing an internal or external fix, but whatever). People may well think it's cheating simply because it's slightly different to a regular stock guitar, when in actual fact they're merely carrying out a temporary repair on a faulty whammy bar. Nothing wrong with that, just as people with a dodgy detachable neck on an LP hardwire it to cut out any connection problems.

My last.fm profile. My musical taste is obviously superior to everybody else's. Even if it does include black metal, classical and synthpop.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using any part of your body is not cheating, you should include that.
Simpsonfreak17  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a friend strum for you while you're fretting is cheating.
Using the select button for star power is not cheating.
Using the "towel trick" is not cheating.

Graciously documenting our future retards
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: simpsonfreak17
muna  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
One thing you might want to add is that playing a hacked copy of the game is cheating, no matter how minor the effect is. This means that things like adding additional hyperspeed to GH2 or replacing Joe Perry's fretboard in GH:A are not legal.

I have Jordan on my GH2 custom disk, but I needed to re-import the vsg so that when I miss the music keeps playing, but that is the only way that it is any different from the original game. Could I import a new high score if I were to achieve one while playing on that disk?

And is taping some pennies down over the back button on the xplorer to make the back button easer to hit legal?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muna wrote:
And is taping some pennies down over the back button on the xplorer to make the back button easer to hit legal?

No. It's the same deal as sock/penny modding over on the RB side. It's the hardware's fault that you have to alter things.
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips guys.

on a scale of one to ten how useful do y'all think this guide is/will be

a funny video of me choking on Monkey Wrench will go here once i get my GH2 log
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
Simpsonfreak17  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some I don't know if it's a cheat or not.

Is it cheating if you replace a strum bar or other with a different one? (i.e. Replacing a LP strum bar with a SG strum bar or replacing the LP frets with the SG frets.)

Is it cheating if you mod a pedal that use the star power when you hit it?

Graciously documenting our future retards
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: simpsonfreak17
northtxhurricane  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should play GH3 naked and strum with my ass, lefty flip and looking into a mirror.

http://www.youtube.com/user/idontreallyknowno

My Youtube Account...plenty of Guitar Hero videos.
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpsonfreak17 wrote:
Some I don't know if it's a cheat or not.

Is it cheating if you replace a strum bar or other with a different one? (i.e. Replacing a LP strum bar with a SG strum bar or replacing the LP frets with the SG frets.)

Is it cheating if you mod a pedal that use the star power when you hit it?

im pretty sure those fall under the category of "ask the hardware forums"

northtxhurricane wrote:
Maybe I should play GH3 naked and strum with my ass, lefty flip and looking into a mirror.

im not sure why youd want to do that but itd be legal i suppose

a funny video of me choking on Monkey Wrench will go here once i get my GH2 log
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can say that strumming with an object like a non-automated object like a real guitar pick (or a non-vibrator dildo <_< ) isn't cheating. I think there are a couple of people who use real Guitar picks to strum when playing Guitar Hero.
habbyboy14y  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should add that calling hellashes to play for you is cheating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: