ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH:WT Vocals Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think13  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: GH:WT Vocals Guide Reply with quote

I thought I'd put up a little guide about vocals in GH:WT.
If I have any facts wrong, or you think of additional information to put in here, please reply to this post or PM me.

Overall, vocals are the lowest scoring single instrument in GH:WT. This isn't really a bad thing, because it is unfair to directly compare scores between two instruments anyway. Guitar Hero vocals translate very well into real-world ability - we have that advantage over guitar and bass players!

Basics:

The gist of vocals is singing at the same pitch and rhythm as the song (duh).
Songs are arranged into phrases. Phrases can vary in length from a couple seconds (Dammit) to >10 seconds for some songs.
Blue phrases must be sung on pitch. The majority of phrases are blue. The blue line will go up or down, following the pitch of the song, although it is hard to use only the line to tell intervals.
Red phrases are so-called 'talkies'. You do not need to hold a specific pitch during these sections to get points. There is no phoneme detection; you can hum and still get full points.

When you reach the end of a phrase, many things will happen:
1) Your score will go up if you got any part of the phrase
2) A green, white, yellow, or red flash will show on the highway next to your 'comet'.

Green Flash (90%-100%)
    Multiplier goes up
    1/4 star power meter fills
    Streak goes up
    Rock meter goes up

Yellow Flash (80%-89%)
    Multiplier goes up
    1/12 star power meter fills
    Streak goes up
    Rock meter goes up

White Flash (70%-79%)
    Multiplier returns to 1
    No Star Power gain
    No streak increase
    No rock meter change

Red Flash (0%-69%)
    Multiplier returns to 1
    No Star Power gain
    No streak increase
    Rock meter goes down

Freeforms:

There are two kinds of freeforms, blue and yellow.

Blue: These freeforms are blue colored, with clapping hands. Simply making any noise during these sections will give 1/10 star power meter and raise your rock meter.

Yellow: These are much more complicated. Completing these sections gives 1/10 star power meter and bonus points. The bonus points are determined by a base score and a multiplier (this is in addition to your regular score multiplier). The base score goes up as long as you are singing in the key of the song. The multiplier goes up based on how many notes in the key and scale of the song you sing. Most freeforms have a maximum multiplier of 8, but higher multipliers have been recorded.

See here for more freestyle discussion: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81229

Scoring:
The base score for a phrase is 500 points. The score you actually get is determined by (1) your multiplier, and (2) how much of the phrase you hit.
Phrase score = 500 * Multiplier * Percent Hit / 100
Star power multiplies this number by two.

The maximum point total for a phrase is:
500 * 4 * 100 / 100 * 2 = 4000 points

Star Power:

Star power can be activated in two ways:
1) Clapping or tapping on the microphone
2) Hitting a button on the controller.

I strongly recommend using the second method. It helps you get very accurate activations and allows you to sing while activating.

Star power is only checked at the end of phrases (and yellow freeforms). This means if you activate star power near the end of a phrase, the x2 bonus will be applied to the entire phrase. This can help you get more phrases in star power.

If you find yourself accidentally activating star power, you can turn off clap star power.
This can be done from the main menu in Options -> Settings -> Vocals Star Power Clap, or from the pause menu in Options -> Vocals Star Power Clap.

Tips:
Yellow freeform sections
These are what makes 13.575 average multipliers on some songs possible. Activating star power during yellow freeform sections can give scores like this:
2000 base score * 8 freeform multiplier * 4 regular multiplier * 2 star power =
128,000 on one section!

Note that the base score varies between different freeform sections; this is just an example.

Also, note that band multipliers also apply to this score. If you are playing with a full band, and all band members use star power, the multiplier becomes:
8 freeform multiplier * 4 regular multiplier * 4 band multiplier * 2 star power =
256 multiplier!

Start before the phrase

Oftentimes it is helpful to start singing before the phrase actually starts. This has some benefits: it allows you to determine the correct starting pitch, and ensures you get the first part of the phrase. It also helps when the phrase has a large interval at the beginning.

Set Lag
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81740
Thanks to Mushy2008 for this tip. It has helped me a lot!

Conclusion

I hope this guide helped you. Please let me know if it is inaccurate or incomplete. And don't forget to have fun and rock out!

Last edited by think13 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:34 am; edited 8 times in total
    View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website
    sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for writing this! This is great!

I haven't played the game extensively past sightreading all the songs on vocals, but what I've observed is that there are at least 3 gradations of how your phrase is scored.

Green flash: rock meter goes up, you keep combo, star power goes up by 1/4

Yellow flash: rock meter goes up, you keep combo, star power goes up by 1/8

Can't remember what happens below this. Clearly it flashes some other color and your rock meter goes down, you lose combo, don't get star power etc. but I'm not sure if there's only one indicator for this or multiple.

I don't have access to the game right now so I can't be more specific but hopefully someone else can verify whether this is correct?

Last edited by sentimentalgeek on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
    Sanctified09  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, excellent guide! i'm impressed! a few things:

may i suggest adding something about turning off the "clap" activation in the pause menu? i think there's something about that... but i don't quite remember what it's called...

also, possibly mention something about the band 4X multiplier giving a possible 256X multiplier on the FreeForm sections... that can make a phrase worth so much....

overall, that was a really informative guide, thank you for explaining the blue freeforms... i've been wondering what the heck those things were... keep up the good work!
    Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but here is the biggest things I've wanted to see in a guide and never have... And is likely the reason I can never play better then medium vocals.

I have a deep voice, and while you "can" sing in any octave, it seems that deep voices can't hit anything. The fireball bounces up and down like crazy when I am making a single long noise.

Is there any way to actually hit these things with a deep voice?

----

Another thing I find is that my voice seems to fall between octaves, meaning I often have to switch to singing low / high to hit the highest / lowest notes in a song. Is this often? And what could help with this?

Plus, sometimes it seems also that I am changing my voice up or down, but the dot is not moving at all. Why could this be?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: To-do list Reply with quote

Here's my todo list for improving the guide - hopefully I can do this today:
    1) Investigate green/yellow/red flash percentages, and whether it changes based on difficulty.
    2) I'll add info about disabling clap activation
    3) Though this guide is mainly about single vocals, I'll make a short mention about the band multiplier.

Grimnir, I have noticed that as well when I sing low. Either the microphone has trouble picking up low pitches or it is simply harder to keep a constant pitch singing low. I think clearing my throat and drinking some water has helped with this in the past...

Switching between octaves is normal, I do it all the time. You should get better at this with practice. Try singing songs you know very well and see how many times you can switch octaves during the song. An alternative would be to use falsetto (assuming you are male). I'm not a vocal coach, so I don't have any tips for that, sorry.

Edit: This is think13, but my brother is logged in right now
    destruktive  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same feeling about singing low.

My voice is pretty all round from quite high pitched sometimes to very low.
    My voice is usually very low when I'm relaxed (what I usually are while playing games )

So a bunch of times while playing this game, my voice barely register while singing low, then, by going one octave higher it gets more accurate.

My ear for notes are pretty good and I can tell I'm holding the same note with low pitch as good as the one that is one octave higher but still the comet jumps up and down like a maniac.
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: destruktive87
    TheRaw  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you wrote this. People that have no vox experience need something like this... like me. I'm thinking about starting a vox career. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you get more points from tha multiplier when you use it at the END of a freeform.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. >_>
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 127492788588
    Usagi  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: GH:WT Vocals Guide Reply with quote

think13 wrote:

Tips:
    Yellow freeform sections
    These are what makes 13.575 average multipliers on some songs possible. Activating star power during yellow freeform sections can give scores like this:
    128,000 on one section!

Also, note that band multipliers also apply to this score. If you are playing with a full band, and all band members use star power, the multiplier becomes:
    8 freeform multiplier * 4 regular multiplier * 4 band multiplier * 2 star power =
    256 multiplier!

So vocals goes from lowest scoring instrument to 256x multiplier? 2000 base score x 8 freeform multiplier x 4 regular multiplier x 4 band multiplier x 2 SP = over half a million points. 512,000.

If this is all correct, full band play basically becomes a game of 'make this happen, win the game'.
    AdmiralAxtell  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vocals in this game really sound like fun...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GH:WT Vocals Guide Reply with quote

Usagi wrote:
    think13 wrote:

Tips:
    Yellow freeform sections
    128,000 on one section!

256 multiplier!

So vocals goes from lowest scoring instrument to 256x multiplier? 2000 base score x 8 freeform multiplier x 4 regular multiplier x 4 band multiplier x 2 SP = over half a million points. 512,000.

If this is all correct, full band play basically becomes a game of 'make this happen, win the game'.

I was talking about single player when I said it is the lowest scoring. But yes, for many songs in full band play, the key will be getting the 256 multiplier. Also, the base score differs for different songs, 2000 was just an example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this helped and answered a whole lot of questions vocals on GH:WT just got easier

5* GH3 [] 1 song left raining blood...
    5* GH:WT [] 4songs left
    5* Bass [] 5 songs left
    beat Jordan[X]
    beat TTFAF [X]
    BOYOBOYY  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get over 8x multiplier on some freeform sections though. Will freeforms ever be figured out?
    Nel97  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say if you get the green "comet" you get 1/4 of star power, you mean you can activate with 2 phrases like that or with 4? because i dont know if you mean 1/4 of the full bar or the enough to activate.

sorry for that but i dont play vocals, just trying to path some songs for my band
    Get 600k on NotB [x] 606k!!!!!

My Stream Status
    Wolfycat  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nel,
    I think both in single player of full band only 2 vocal phrases (green) are needed in order for anyone activate SP.
    Anyway I would like someone here more experienced confirm this :-))
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: