ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Best Buy Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love that stevie ray performance on Austin City Limits. i have that DVD, the first time i saw it, i was like holy hell, i have got to do this. And about an hour later i played Texas Flood and did just that on the long chord sections, if you just have the strap over the arm you finger with, like srv had in the video, it makes it a whole lot easier.
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided that I'm going to play No One Knows, as suggested, and am consistently getting 305000+ while moving around and playing in front of people. I changed my other song to Caveman Rejoice because I think it's slightly more impressive to do tricks on it than Spanish Castle Magic and I like seeing 99% over 95%. So I start off and spin around, play the song backwards for about 30 seconds. Then throw the guitar behind my back leading up to the second chorus and play like that through the solo. I've perfected the solo now twice with the guitar behind my back. And playing out the rest of the song rather normally I've been getting 230000ish. So I'm good on my songs.

Now I just have to figure out what to wear. Damn, I sound like such a girl.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

dd3mon  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOK - great choice - looks extremely difficult/impressive to a novice and it's very well known.

Caveman - not a great choice IMO. I'd pick a song that people would possibly recognize, and that looks crazy hard. BATM? CFH? IMO a good, but obviously not perfect performance on one of those songs would be more impressive than a great performance on caveman. Caveman is technically difficult (those chord switches are rough!) - but the rhythm is pretty simple and very few random people are gonna recognize the song.

Spanish castle magic, Frankenstein, CFH, BATM, Ace of Spades, Crossroads, or even something a bit easier like cochise, take me out, or heart full of black - imo would all be better choices for a public performance. They look impossible, and the crowd will likely recognize them.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dd3mon wrote:
NOK - great choice - looks extremely difficult/impressive to a novice and it's very well known.

Caveman - not a great choice IMO. I'd pick a song that people would possibly recognize, and that looks crazy hard. BATM? CFH? IMO a good, but obviously not perfect performance on one of those songs would be more impressive than a great performance on caveman. Caveman is technically difficult (those chord switches are rough!) - but the rhythm is pretty simple and very few random people are gonna recognize the song.

Spanish castle magic, Frankenstein, CFH, BATM, Ace of Spades, Crossroads, or even something a bit easier like cochise, take me out, or heart full of black - imo would all be better choices for a public performance. They look impossible, and the crowd will likely recognize them.

Good luck!

Caveman looks impressive when you perfect the solos, at least I think so. That's kind of situational for me, though. I was also kind of thinking of playing Story of My Love just to perfect it. That 335000+ point score looks mighty impressive, as does a cool 100% on any expert song. I would do CFH or BATM, but I'm just not good enough. I don't wanna settle for a high 4 star or low 5 star score on one of those.

And as for the crowd's knowledge of the song, Best Buy will probably pick a well known song for the third song, so I would have 2 out of 3 well known. I just like Caveman cause I can do tricks with it. Behind the back playing is a lot harder on say BATM or Ace of Spades. It's just too fast.

joker  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can nail AOS with the guitar behind my back. i think it is the most impressive of the bunch as far a performance goes because the solo is mild to moderately fast but its completely audible, and you can really wail on it like a ninja in the night. if i were competing, that's what i'd choose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with both AOS and NOK, but if he can do cavemen that well, more power to him. hell, i'd probably play stellar just because i know i can get 100% everytime, even though it doesn't look too difficult.

as for what to wear, i did see a video of some guys playing iron man multiplayer with capes on... hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn... I think ANY song that you can do moves like that while playing is a good choice. haha.. I have played quite a bit on this game but I'm still not quite a guitar god on hard, and never will be on expert. I can't imagine playing backwords or throwing a guitar behind my back while playing... that's pretty awsome if you can do that.
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dd3mon, I took a few cracks at Frankenstein. I do love that song and it looks hard as hell. The solo really throws me off my game, though. 92% on the song in a good run isn't bad for the song, but I don't know if they're going to think that 97% on Iron Man is more impressive than a 92% on Frankenstein.

Man, after these suggestions there are so many songs I want to play; NOK, AOS, Caveman Rejoice, Frankenstein. Maybe I'll get lucky and Best Buy will pick No One Knows or something.

Suitata  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:

I've been trying Unsung, CFH, and a few others without looking. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I've been trying to finish CFH without looking. It's kinda fun

My record is 72% before I fail, Having trouble memorizing that solo.
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
dspoonrt wrote:

I've been trying Unsung, CFH, and a few others without looking. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I've been trying to finish CFH without looking. It's kinda fun

My record is 72% before I fail, Having trouble memorizing that solo.

I can get over 120,000 on CFH not looking. It is hard as hell, though, especially on the solo. The main riff and all the chords are my only saving graces.

Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I would've realized this tournament was in my state, I might have actually come. I could've definitely given you some competition, at least.
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreyvas wrote:
If I would've realized this tournament was in my state, I might have actually come. I could've definitely given you some competition, at least.

Yeah, you probably would've had a 4 hour drive, but it might have been worth it to win that guitar. It was a 2 day event though, and the rounds were a week apart. That would've been a hassle for you.

Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that definitely would have sucked.
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for showmanship i'd play behind my head, the hardest easiest task i can do (that is if you know what i mean)...especially practice that 12345431 scale in NOK...great way to show off...
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutendoji wrote:
for showmanship i'd play behind my head, the hardest easiest task i can do (that is if you know what i mean)...especially practice that 12345431 scale in NOK...great way to show off...

I can do that scale playing regular, but I doubt I could do it behind my head. My fingers don't like to move that fast in weird positons.

I did play a few lines of the CFH main riff behind my back. That impressed the judges.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: