ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal Thread Mark II
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: The Metal Thread Mark II Reply with quote

This thread is a continuation of the previous metal thread I made several months ago. This brought up a lot of very in-depth discussion and there were very few problems and hopefully people can be as well behaved and intelligent in this new thread as they were in the old one.

I know a lot of metalheads are VERY, VERY elitist about their music and defend their opinion to the death. That's fine, but keep it somewhat civil and put up a good arguement and rebuttle to keep this from getting like a lot of metal forums where everyone is a dick to each other. I would like to state that I don't care what people listen to, just try not to talk about the alt/nu/metalcore bands in here. Make your own thread if you want to do that.

I don't encourage the discussion of metalcore or nu-metal, but a little bit here and there doesn't hurt me or anyone and as long as you can keep the conversations civil and somewhat intelligent, you can talk about metalcore and nu-metal. Think about it this way. Everyone starts somewhere with metal, flaming them won't make them want to listen to it if the people who do are assholes. Try suggesting bands they might like instead who are a little "proper."

Linking to the last 2 pages of the old thread if people want to continue discussion from there.
Page 100. Page 101

PS: If anyone can correctly tell me where I got the topic title from (yes its a music reference) you win an undetermined prize. Probably something to do with the featured bands and reviews we're going to put up. No hints, music reference is the only one.
SOLVED!! by hydrapower

Last.fm user list:
Tornintwo
bdawg95
southparkhero
turbo
Subrick
The Longing
Josseppe95
thegibbonator
AxenRay
Zerstörer
shadow6463
Cyberwaste
Quackmybush
Woffls
franknfurter1000
SmellyStuff
Tooren
ANiMoSiTYx

Just post with your username or a link to your page if you want to be added on here and I will put you on the list.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!

Last edited by tornintwo on Fri May 08, 2009 4:44 am; edited 7 times in total
mrnuzzlespleen  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All cleared up

"I asked this guy, 'Come on man, dinosaur fossils, what's the deal? He goes 'God put those here to test our faith'."
"I think God put you here to test MY faith, dude".
-Bill Hicks

Last edited by mrnuzzlespleen on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Subrick  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Metal Thread Mark II Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:

PS: If anyone can correctly tell me where I got the topic title from (yes its a music reference) you win an undetermined prize. Probably something to do with the featured bands and reviews we're going to put up. No hints, music reference is the only one.

Does it have too do with Radiohead's song MK 2?

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Metal Thread Mark II Reply with quote

mrnuzzlespleen wrote:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90032

tornintwo wrote:
I made a new thread.

I already PM'd EWiggen about it and hopefully his will be taken down soon. Please continue all discussions there.

Subrick wrote:
tornintwo wrote:

Does it have too do with Radiohead's song MK 2?

Nope.

Also, if anyone thinks anything in the OP should be added, removed, clarified, changed etc, let me know. I made that in a hurry. The reason for the new thread is that D0m0omod, trubo and I were planning a big project for the thread involving reviews and featured bands and we didn't want to have to keep PM'ing EWiggen to change the OP so this will be much simpler.

Warnar wrote:
Glock  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Metal Thread Mark II Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:

This is obviously the answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGP9bc8Imo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said it was music related.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of re: the topic title is Deep Purple, but since there's debate over whether they're even metal, I would guess I'm wrong.

As far as the topic at hand, I am trying (gently) to get this female friend I have into some heavier stuff past nu-metal/rock radio. She loves Slipknot and Disturbed but seemed receptive to the idea. I burned her an MP3 disc full of heavy hitters (Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Megadeth), a few sideways jumps, and then some stuff just past where she's at, like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God. I guess we'll see how it goes. Don't want to scare her off.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Glock  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo wrote:
He said it was music related.

i wasn't being serious, i just find that video hilarious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
The only thing I can think of re: the topic title is Deep Purple, but since there's debate over whether they're even metal, I would guess I'm wrong.

As far as the topic at hand, I am trying (gently) to get this female friend I have into some heavier stuff past nu-metal/rock radio. She loves Slipknot and Disturbed but seemed receptive to the idea. I burned her an MP3 disc full of heavy hitters (Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Megadeth), a few sideways jumps, and then some stuff just past where she's at, like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God. I guess we'll see how it goes. Don't want to scare her off.

I can't believe I didn't think of that.

As for your friend, start her off with some covers. Bands like Slayer and Megadeth (and later Cannibal Corpse & Skinless) were easier for me to get into through their covers. Slayer's Dissident Aggressor and Hand Of Doom got me into them and Megadeth has great covers of Never Say Die and Paranoid. It's hard to send her in a good direction when I don't know what she likes about the bands you listed. Seems like you're off to a good start though. Here's a great site for looking up cover songs called The Covers Project.
---

Anyway, I picked up some good stuff about 20 minutes ago. I found some Accept compilation (only covering Restless & Wild/Balls To The Wall) for $4, Deep Purple's Purpendicular for $8 (going for $20+ on Amazon), and another barcode-less Black Metal disc for $4. This one is even more interesting.

This one is called Moloch.

Edit - Found 'em. Here's a description: "This is the Cd version of the MOLOCH's 10" released by FEAST OF TENTACLES records and SHIFTY records. MOLOCH are an awesome new sludge band influenced by EYEHATEGOD, CAVITY and IRON MONKEY. 4 songs of heavy and dirty old school sludge."

I was way off. Here's a song from their label's Myspace.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:

No that's exactly right. I said it was music related, not necessarily metal. For those wondering what it is exactly, Mark II is the name given to the classic Deep Purple line-up (Gillan, Blackmore, Paice, Glover, and Lord).

EDIT: EWiggen was kind enough to delete the old thread so now this one is the real one. I added links to the OP of the old thread as well as the last 2 pages of the old thread to the OP here if people want to see what it was like or continue on discussion from there. I also added a Last.fm user list since I thought/hoped there would be a lot of you on there. Just post with your username/page and I will add you to the list.

Warnar wrote:
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions here.

I wan't y'all to define metalcore, along with examples of bands. Different people have given me different explanations, so I want a good sample size of people for this.

And I don't have a second qustion, but just here's my Last.fm account. I use Pandora and Slacker a lot, along with a plug in for Firefox that scrobbles my music. So thats where most of my library is from, not from iTunes
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:

No that's exactly right. I said it was music related, not necessarily metal. For those wondering what it is exactly, Mark II is the name given to the classic Deep Purple line-up (Gillan, Blackmore, Paice, Glover, and Lord).

Yay!

D0m0omod wrote:

As for your friend, start her off with some covers. Bands like Slayer and Megadeth (and later Cannibal Corpse & Skinless) were easier for me to get into through their covers. Slayer's Dissident Aggressor and Hand Of Doom got me into them and Megadeth has great covers of Never Say Die and Paranoid. It's hard to send her in a good direction when I don't know what she likes about the bands you listed. Seems like you're off to a good start though. Here's a great site for looking up cover songs called The Covers Project.

Good deal. As far as what about those bands are appealing to her, I think it's the aggression behind them. She mentioned how in the past she's gone to her room and blasted them loudly to annoy her mother (I know that's mall teenager stuff, but it's something I can work with). This simply might be a case of her not knowing what else is there because they don't get played on mainstream rock radio. I know enough about metal to give her stuff that's similar to what she likes now but better (e.g. The Odyssey by Symphony X = no, but the new ATR with clean vox = yeah), so I have a good feeling about it. She also likes to run, so at the very least it will be uptempo running music.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.last.fm/user/stewoiscool can add me to that list

Just listened to Arsis btw, holy shit awesome.
turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdawg95 wrote:
I wan't y'all to define metalcore, along with examples of bands. Different people have given me different explanations, so I want a good sample size of people for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko
This video more than accurately explains it. If you still don't get it, say so.
Pay attention to the first band on the TV.

http://www.last.fm/user/Julie-and-Candy

Last edited by turbo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: smelLOL Wii Friend Code: 468266909114
Subrick  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.last.fm/user/Subrick

Add me to previously mentioned list of users, torin.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: