ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What are the most efficient ways to path GH vocals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceefudgesickle  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: What are the most efficient ways to path GH vocals? Reply with quote

After a lot of trial and error playing Stone Cold Crazy, I came up with a path that is probably not optimal but is definitely close (no wastes of SP and SP on the freeforms)

Activation 1:The end of "there's a rumor going round", lasts until the middle of the phrase "here comes the law gonna break down the door"
Activation 2:The end of "gotta get away from this stone cold floor", lasts until after "stone cold crazy you know" which is the end of the first verse
Activation 3:The next freeform, SP will end before the next phrase ends, so all you get under SP is the freeform
Activation 4:The end of "anymore anymore cannot take it anymore", lasts until the middle of the phrase "crazy"
Activation 5:Near the end of the next freeform but not at the very end, so that you don't hit the phrase "with my rubber tommy water gun"
Activation 6:The end of "i gotta get up and run", lasts until the middle of the phrase "I ran right out of juice"
Activation 7:The end of "crazy", lasts until after the final phrase in the song.

With this path, you get 2 freeforms and 12 phrases under SP (unless I counted wrong in my run).

Also of note is that this was done on the demo, but I don't think there's a difference.

Anybody found a better path than this? I've almost beat the top score cross-platform with this path (I would have beaten it by a large amount of points if I had done better.)

Are there any real methods for pathing other than this? Are there any blank charts we could use or any in-depth guides to how SP works and how long it lasts and stuff like that?

think13  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found any vocal charts yet. The maker of Slowhero has said that vocal charts are planned, but they aren't up at his website yet.
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85112

Also, when describing paths, I usually just use the number of star power phrases you get before activating (since you will always activate at the end of the next phrase).

For example, on Feel the Pain I use this path:
4/3/3/3/2
This means I get 4 phrases of SP (a full meter), then activate at the end of the next phrase. Then I get 3 phrases per activation until the end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think13 wrote:
since you will always activate at the end of the next phrase

No you won't, you don't want to activate at the end of the phrase if it means squeezing a phrase under SP that you need the SP from. In my path, you can't activate at the very end of the freeform; if you're too close to the end, you'll squeeze a phrase that throws my path off.

About the notation, that seems like a good notation to use, but I thought I should describe my path because there isn't really any widely accepted form of notation in GH vocals yet.

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: What are the most efficient ways to path GH vocals? Reply with quote

iceefudgesickle wrote:
Are there any real methods for pathing other than this? Are there any blank charts we could use or any in-depth guides to how SP works and how long it lasts and stuff like that?

Please... please... we need charts! Please!

I don't know shit about pathing, but I know there are people here who do. *pokes BrianBAM19 with a stick* If we could get some charts I wouldn't mind taking a crack at pathing myself, because it actually feels feasible now. As far as your SCC path, I couldn't tell you if its optimal or not, since I can't hit all the phrases in the song on Expert to test it. :P At a certain point in the third verse I'm just shitting bricks trying to get Excellents and the path is not what I'm thinking about.

As far as the first activation, I usually wait one phrase longer to activate because going immediately has you activating on a 3x. I dunno how much of a point difference that would make, but I thought'd I'd mention it anyway. Silly vocals and your ability to have nearly full SP and not a 4x. ^_^ (I have the top score on XBL btw, well at the moment).

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
iceefudgesickle  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: What are the most efficient ways to path GH vocals? Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
iceefudgesickle wrote:

Please... please... we need charts! Please!

I don't know shit about pathing, but I know there are people here who do. *pokes BrianBAM19 with a stick* If we could get some charts I wouldn't mind taking a crack at pathing myself, because it actually feels feasible now. As far as your SCC path, I couldn't tell you if its optimal or not, since I can't hit all the phrases in the song on Expert to test it. :P At a certain point in the third verse I'm just shitting bricks trying to get Excellents and the path is not what I'm thinking about.

As far as the first activation, I usually wait one phrase longer to activate because going immediately has you activating on a 3x. I dunno how much of a point difference that would make, but I thought'd I'd mention it anyway. Silly vocals and your ability to have nearly full SP and not a 4x. ^_^ (I have the top score on XBL btw, well at the moment).

Haha, yeah I noticed you were the top score. 8k above me. I never submitted a score yet though, didn't really bother.

The third verse goes apeshit, the pitches themselves aren't hard but they come at you really fast and you can't be offpitch for even half a second of a phrase or you get a Solid, honestly, excellents should either be a little easier, or you should keep a combo with a Solid. Currently, FCing this is apparently harder than FCing the game on guitar (because thats already been done) not really, since there are far less people actually trying on vocals than guitar, but still.

It's also annoying that it's pretty much impossible to try to sing the words and get even a solid, if you don't pronounce any consonants it's fine, but then it takes away some of the fun just going "ooooaaaaaaaohhhhhhhheeeeeeee" for the whole song.

Activating on a 3x rather than a 4x only makes a 1,000 point difference assuming you get the same number of phrases under SP, because there's a 3,000 point difference between 3,000 and 6,000 and there's a 4,000 point difference between 4,000 and 8,000. If you manage to get an extra phrase with that activation, it still gets you an extra 3,000 points. It's not an optimal path probably, but it's as close as anyone's going to bother to get considering this is GH vocals. I made sure there was no wasted SP and that you were under SP for the freeforms and then tried to accomodate SP during the shorter phrase parts, and that's pretty much it.

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the path then. ^_^ I think it's drilled into me after playing so much guitar that activating under a 3x = bad. I'll have to try this path later.

The hard part is gettling all the necessary star power. My best is a -6, but an FC still sounds insane. The best I've done is FC up to "Hit 'em hard" which is something like a 17 phrase streak, but if I miss "Hit 'em hard" I might as well restart cuz I lost my 4x for the freestyle.

How can a song so short haunt us so???

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
DeusExProcella  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am apeshit horrible at vocals...but I love trying to path them, it's so much more rewarding than gitbassdrums for me.

That said I came up with a path for The Thing That Should Not Be that netted me 1st both here and on XBL.

1st Activation: Fearless Wretch/Insanity (Activate on Insanity)

2nd Activation: Freestyle

3rd Activation: Fearless Wretch/Insanity (Same as 1st)

4th Activation: Freestyle

5th Activation: Fearless Wretch/Insanity (See a pattern?)

You'll end with exactly enough SP to activate, which is just because there are two phrases after the sp ends. Every odd activation ends exactly with the last word (Rising). And both even activations end just before the next line.
Also, with this path you'll never get more SP than max (you should have max for every chorus). Ignoring the sp you get at the end, of course.

That said I'm really trying to figure out a better path for Blood and Thunder...I've found two paths that will net you 79k, which is the top score on SH, but on XBL there are two scores higher, and the top score is 86k. I really want to know where that 7k is coming from.

Technically...outside of freestyles, since you can't get "half" credit for SP, wouldn't every vocal song have a "top" score? That is assuming the song doesn't have a freestyle section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
iceefudgesickle  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely optimal for songs with no freeforms, but songs without freeforms are pretty uncommon in WT, not sure about Metallica since I don't have it, but I know most songs had them in WT.

BrianBAM19  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of songs on GH:M don't have freestyles(I count 12 based off of the top scores), and the ones that do don't have screwed up freestyles that don't work very well(Trapped Under Ice), or 4-5 freestyles in one song(Hotel California). They're much, much less prominent in Metallica than World Tour.

Also, about star power, no, there's no charts for vocals on World Tour or Metallica(there's no charts for *anything* on Metallica, though), sadly. Pathing songs would be much, much easier for me with charts, because I'm horrible at pathing on the fly by playing it. I feel like I could make really good paths with charts at my use(thank you Hailey for poking me with a stick :p), since I could tell a lot easier when SP would end.

KoE wrote:
<KoE> she wanted to put the BAM in brianbam.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BrianBAM19
DeusExProcella  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good alternative, although it's really, really annoying and hard, is to set the microphone in front of the tv and run through a song on beginner. Just press A to time your activations and see how your mileage varies.

I have a path for For Whom the Bell Tolls but I'm not sure how good it is:

For Whom the Bell Tolls:

1st Activation: Activate on “Know” (4SP/4Phrases)

2nd Activation: Freestyle (3SP/1FS) You have to activate near the middle or at the beginning of the freestyle for it to end in time.

3rd Activation: Activate on “Sky” (2SP/2Phrases)

4th Activation: Activate as soon as you see the green flash (IMMEDIATE) (3SP/2Phrases)

5th Activation: Freestyle (2SP/1FS)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Consanguinity Wii Friend Code: 519807246797
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: