ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What sucks: my microphone or Vicarious Visions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romanczuk  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: What sucks: my microphone or Vicarious Visions? Reply with quote

I've finally grown annoyed enough to make a thread about it.
I'll be blunt: on the Wii verison of GHTW, the vocals are very bad. The sound is loud and clear, but there is a huge lag (I'm talking up to 200ms).
We were playing at a party and my friend who is a real singer, who is quite good, wanted to play with the recorded vocal track muted so it was just his voice, and the lag made the song virtually unplayable because he was singing in sync but the amplified sound had a mind of its own. The problem can be somewhat solved by muting the microphone, but the sound is still lagged when the game analyzes it, meaning it thinks you're singing late and this leads to inaccuracies and, on the harder songs, failures even if your singing is perfect.
I bought my microphone separately at Game Crazy. It's Logitech and I was wondering this:
Are Logitech Microphones just shitty...
Or is the Wii version of WT so shitty the fundamental gameplay of one of the instruments is broken?
I'd like to hear from other Wii singers to hear if they have the same problem and what kind of microphone they're using...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ieattables  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Wii version. I'm not a good singer (medium/hard range), although I can see some of the problems. The sound is slightly out of sync (50 ms ish), and I'm using the GH mic. I don't really notice the problem unless I play a song like Beat It, with it's short words, where I actually need to sing a bit early to hit the phrases. I don't sing very often except for playing Voxtar, so I personally don't find it much of a problem, and I don't know whether switching mics or anything would fix the problem.
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sing most songs on Expert with the GHWT microphone, and from what I can tell the sound is only slightly out of sync (<10ms), if at all. I will say this though: in my copy of the game, there's always a HUGE lag in practice mode for guitar (around 200ms) that disappears when you exit. I'm not sure if that's on every version, but if it isn't, then your game may be the only one screwed up like that.
CSL10137  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What sucks: my microphone or Vicarious Visions? Reply with quote

Romanczuk wrote:
I've finally grown annoyed enough to make a thread about it.
I'll be blunt: on the Wii verison of GHTW, the vocals are very bad. The sound is loud and clear, but there is a huge lag (I'm talking up to 200ms).
We were playing at a party and my friend who is a real singer, who is quite good, wanted to play with the recorded vocal track muted so it was just his voice, and the lag made the song virtually unplayable because he was singing in sync but the amplified sound had a mind of its own. The problem can be somewhat solved by muting the microphone, but the sound is still lagged when the game analyzes it, meaning it thinks you're singing late and this leads to inaccuracies and, on the harder songs, failures even if your singing is perfect.
I bought my microphone separately at Game Crazy. It's Logitech and I was wondering this:
Are Logitech Microphones just shitty...
Or is the Wii version of WT so shitty the fundamental gameplay of one of the instruments is broken?
I'd like to hear from other Wii singers to hear if they have the same problem and what kind of microphone they're using...

I know a friend of mine, he plays on the 360, sometimes has the same exact problem. he said that he bought a different kind of microphone, like a lower brand name one, and it works fine now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Lombardi10137
think13  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Not the mic Reply with quote

I play on Wii with a Logitech microphone. I have my lag set to 55 ms.
I am first overall all systems (until corey440 gets around to entering his last 11 scores) on SH for expert vocals.

So, maybe I got lucky and got a good mic?
Erodyne  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So even if you're not on an HDTV, setting lag still helps for vocals?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
think13  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erodyne wrote:
So even if you're not on an HDTV, setting lag still helps for vocals?

It does for me. I always feel like I have to sing before the song without the lag set, and I don't have an HDTV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you're sliding into pitches. Most inexperienced singers naturally slide into a note rather than attacking it directly on the pitch so it may seem like the note takes a second to register when really you're not hitting the note at all until slightly into the pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the Microphone... if you read the topic I made a couple down right here
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86006

I had a naked top to a rock band microphone and then a brand new logitec microphone and the broken/naked mic wored better than the brand new mic... So Mic's definitely make a difference more so than they do in rock band.[url][/url]

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mushy2008 PSN Name: Mushy2008 Wii Friend Code: 4798547854137468 ICQ Number
Janzu  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have Wii version of GHWT and having big problems... Not with lag but song pitch.... Singed for 5 years now in real life and now even failing some songs while singing on correct pitch on expert... Vicarious Visions really have fucked up with Wii Vox.....
hydropunk  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Logitech mic as well and I definitely have the same issue, but on 360. No problem at all in Rock Band, but there is clearly a delay in GH. I'm pretty sure that I am attacking the notes and not sliding in to them... I've had a friend confirm it by listening to the recorded vocals and my vocals while I sing, and while the markings on each word of each phrase doesn't fill in til about 1/3 in to each word, it sounds spot on. Usually you can't hear either me or the vocalist because we're singing in unison.
think13  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydropunk wrote:
I have the Logitech mic as well and I definitely have the same issue, but on 360. No problem at all in Rock Band, but there is clearly a delay in GH. I'm pretty sure that I am attacking the notes and not sliding in to them... I've had a friend confirm it by listening to the recorded vocals and my vocals while I sing, and while the markings on each word of each phrase doesn't fill in til about 1/3 in to each word, it sounds spot on. Usually you can't hear either me or the vocalist because we're singing in unison.

That lag is due to Guitar Hero, not the microphone. I have the same lag on my Logitech and official GH microphone. I just have to manually set the video lag to 55ms to be able to sing at the right time.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sing on the wi version too, but i use the rock band 2 microphone. theres very little lag (less than 10ms, if even that) but i just sing a little early and it works.
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZMangz wrote:
i sing on the wi version too, but i use the rock band 2 microphone. theres very little lag (less than 10ms, if even that) but i just sing a little early and it works.
Yeah this is what I usually do, but it's so fucking annoying when you play a song like Crazy Train where you have to do the crazy up-down-up Crazy segement where you just blow up because the engine sucks.

Pretty much, it's that there's lag that you can't get away. If it was away, I'd be getting many scores that are 10Xs higher trust me. I get FC's on RB with ease, I don't think it's me that's getting 89%'s on songs that I regularly listen to (Exclude Misery Business )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: