ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Just starting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GesterX  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Just starting... Reply with quote

My final guitar has broken so for the next few weeks I've decided to work on vocals. I've done a little bit on RB in the past and have a few simple FCs but the GH engine seems much much harder (I'm playing GH:M). That said, I'm really enjoying myself. It's nice to suck at something again and have to really work for my 5*s and get really excited about it! And I love looking at videos of Y2Grae, Hailz, etc... and being in amazement of them FCing even the easiest of songs.

So basically I have a few basic questions:
1. I'm currently using my xbox headset. I seem to be doing pretty well and on some of my better songs I can get 97%+. So is it worth getting a USB mic? Is the headset holding me back in anyway or will it do for now?

2. Because I have played so much Guitar I'm used to 3/4 hour stints, however, with vocals, after 4 or 5 songs I need a little break. Will my vocal chords "strengthen" as I play more? (obviously without overdoing it)

3. How long will it be before I'm up to a "decent" standard? By "decent" I mean be able to FC a few things and consistently 5* everything else. I understand that it's different for everyone but I'm just looking for a general figure here. Are we talking days, weeks, months?

Thanks in advance and I'll close by saying it's a massive shame that more people don't try out vocals. There are hundreds of people who have FGFCs on RB so I can't see why they don't come over this side! (Apart from maybe freeforms which add a nice twist IMO!)
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions the best I can:

1) I first started doing vox on RB with an xbox headset and generally didn't do very well. Almost a year later, I started GHWT vox with the bundled usb mic, and was doing a lot better. I don't know how much of a difference the mic really made, but if you can find a cheap one it might be worth the investment.

2) I can sing for a few hours at a time, and I'm far from the most practiced vocalist. I'd say your vocal chords will get used to it, but it's also good to keep some water (or other such beverage) handy while you're singing

3) Depends how much you play, depends how good you are now. If you're playing consistently, it'll take maybe a month to go from passing to FCing/5*ing everything. Of course, you can probably get a few easy FCs with very little practice if you know the songs (if you have GHSH, you can probably FC Heart-Shaped Box within a week)
GesterX  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
To answer your questions the best I can:

1) I first started doing vox on RB with an xbox headset and generally didn't do very well. Almost a year later, I started GHWT vox with the bundled usb mic, and was doing a lot better. I don't know how much of a difference the mic really made, but if you can find a cheap one it might be worth the investment.

2) I can sing for a few hours at a time, and I'm far from the most practiced vocalist. I'd say your vocal chords will get used to it, but it's also good to keep some water (or other such beverage) handy while you're singing

3) Depends how much you play, depends how good you are now. If you're playing consistently, it'll take maybe a month to go from passing to FCing/5*ing everything. Of course, you can probably get a few easy FCs with very little practice if you know the songs (if you have GHSH, you can probably FC Heart-Shaped Box within a week)

Yeah I think I will try to find a mic for a few quid. I was hoping the singstar mics would work but they don't seem to. Also I will be getting GH:SH when it actually comes out here next friday...
GesterX  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an additional question I may as well post here:

With regards to SP if i use it right at the end of a phrase does the whole phrase recieve a x8 bonus or just the bit I activated over. In addition if SP is active over the first half of a phrase but stops before that phrase is finished do I get any more points for that phrase?
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. It does not work the same as RB vocals, here's how it works:

Points are given to you for the whole phrase at the end of the phrase. To get double for active SP, it only matters that SP is active at the end of the phrase. That's why most vocals paths you'll see say to activate as late as possible in a phrase (or if they don't say that, it's implied). If your SP runs out midphrase, that phrase is a 4x (or whatever, not doubled) but you will get SP for completing the phrase. You do not get SP for a good phrase if you currently have SP active.

That all make sense as much as it did in my head?
GesterX  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right that all makes sense. One final final thing... does the same apply to freeforms. Does activating at the end of them just double the total phrase score or does activating in the middle double the speed the score increases?
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing applies to freeforms, SP only matters at the end. When there are two FFs back-to-back, sometimes if you have close to a full tank of SP you can get it to overlap and count for both of them
Megaman703  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Vocals!

as far as your questions:

1)I only played with a headset once, and I did notice that I performed a little bit worse, although that may have been the change from Wii to 360. Obviously the best way would be to borrow one and see if it makes a huge difference.

2) When I started, I wasn't a big singer, so I woke up sore after big singing days. You will get stronger soon will enough practise, but until then, remember to drink lots of water (no milk), and if you get sore, take a quater lemon and squeeze directly down your throat. It helps.

3) This is really depending on how you good you are. I started out pretty bad, but I got lots and lots of practise in Band play when Rock Band came out, and I was able to FC every song (other than NtY) within a couple of months.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask, and good luck!
GesterX  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaman703 wrote:

2) When I started, I wasn't a big singer, so I woke up sore after big singing days. You will get stronger soon will enough practise, but until then, remember to drink lots of water (no milk), and if you get sore, take a quater lemon and squeeze directly down your throat. It helps.

3) This is really depending on how you good you are. I started out pretty bad, but I got lots and lots of practise in Band play when Rock Band came out, and I was able to FC every song (other than NtY) within a couple of months.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask, and good luck!

Is tea okay to drink (with a little milk)? I mean it's Britain... what else am I supposed to drink

Also I seem to be okay. I'm quite tuneful. The only thing that bugs me about vocals in any game is that you have to stay flat so I can either try to sing the words and do bad or sound like I've had a stroke and do well!

And thanks for all the nice responses bclare!
Megaman703  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about milk is it builds up acids in your mouth and closes your chords, or something like that. Somebody told me it once, and I don't drink milk when I sing anymore.
GesterX  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaman703 wrote:
The thing about milk is it builds up acids in your mouth and closes your chords, or something like that. Somebody told me it once, and I don't drink milk when I sing anymore.

Oh okay. I guess I'll put just a little bit in my tea then. Just to add colour

While I'm making this my own little personal help thread I have ANOTHER question...

I seem to struggle with phrases made up of lotts of little notes strung together quite quickly. The first song that comes to mind is ace of spades. Even though it's only got 2 or 3 notes for most of the verse I can never make the switch smoothly down to the lower note then back up. I usually end up with a solid in almost every one of these phrases. Is there any tips for these type of sections?
bclare  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when the boxes are small, it helps if you don't enunciate. This is not good singing advice, but it's good for RB/GH singing because it helps you get the full box for each word if you kinda slur them together.

edit: i uploaded a video of Miss Murder yesterday from GHSH, if you need to see an example of someone not enunciating. Not really the same since there aren't many small boxes in that song, but there are some in the bridge or whatever part it is that I forgot the words http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1N0EoTmiu8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: