ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official "Video Game Challenge" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resident Evil 2: The No Kill Challenge

I'm going for a challenge that has been thought up rather recently and so far has only been done once (Original Run), the No Kill Challenge. It's very simple: don't kill anything that doesn't need to be killed (unavoidable bosses: G-Mutant, Giant Alligator, William Birkin). The only problem is, well, they'll still be trying to kill me. This'll take a lot of patience and finesse, and more than likely a lot of loaded saves.

This will be preformed on a Nintendo 64 console with no cheat codes/Gameshark in the Leon A campaign on the highest difficulty. Enemies that must be killed can be taken down by any means necessary. FASs (First Aid Sprays) are allowed, but I'll try not to use them. I'll be shooting for under two-hours and forty-five minutes, which I believe would be good for a B ranking.

Upon completion, I will be awarded the ultimate prize:

SAVE 0 (GAME START)
  • Made it to the police station with the lowest possible amount of damage taken (three bites: One on the basketball court and two in the bus).
  • Unlocked the first floor doors.
  • Saved in the lobby (This save was unnecessary, but I did it so I could do some Licker dodging training, as I've never tried dodging them before.).

SAVE 1
  • Made it to the S.T.A.R.S. office without taking any damage. Picked up every item (minus ammo, including the shotgun) on the way. Avoided the darkroom, as there's nothing mandatory in there and there are two zombies outside the door.
  • Used up the Spade Key and entered the Library, cleared it of items and left for the 2nd Floor Main Hall. Carelessness lead to my first non-mandatory attack by the second to last zombie in the hall. Brought down to Caution.
  • Picked up the Small Key in the 2nd Floor Waiting Room, used a Green Herb to bring myself back to Fine and saved.

SAVE 2
  • Went straight to the backyard stairwell (from the crow hall) and picked up all three green herbs. Headed to the helipad.
  • Got the valve handle and 30 HG bullets (I figure it can't hurt to have a little extra ammo for bosses) and put out the fire on the helicopter.
  • Went to the art room. Used both red jewels and picked up the Diamond Key, the King Plug, and 2 Ink Ribbons.
  • In preparation of the next part, which is probably gonna be hard, saved in the 2nd Floor Waiting Room again.

SAVE 3
  • Headed to the evidence room to use the Diamond Key. Got there without a scratch and picked up some HG ammo.
  • Bitten twice in the evidence room (Not bad; this may be the hardest room in the no kill challenge. I died many times here) and went to Marvin's Room
  • Picked up a Green Herb, HG bullets, and the Heart Key. Bitten by Mavin's zombie. I'm now at Caution.
  • Used Heart key and went into the basement. Got to Ben without damage and picked up a crapload of herbs and some SG Shells. used a GG combo to bring myself to Fine.
  • Went through the Ada part and got the Club Key and some SG shells.
  • Saved in the sewer storeroom.

SAVE 4
  • Used up the Club Key (except for the Autopsy room door, since I had no need for the SMG or the Side Pack), picked up the magnum and the G. Cogwheel.
  • Used up the Diamond Key and picked up the Plug in the Interrogation Room (Can't recall which one it is).
  • Saved in the main hall.

SAVE 5
  • Used the Crank and the G. Cogwheel and went to fight the G-Mutant.
  • Killed the G-Mutant with the shotgun, brought down to Caution.
  • Used the plugs and went to through the sewer. Killed the Crock with one GH bullet and Ada's bandages brought me to Fine.
  • Made it to right before the William Birkin fight flawlessly. Picked up a few herbs and the W. Box Key, skipped the SG parts.
  • Saved right before the fight. Should've saved after because it's easy. *shrug*

SAVE 6
    Lol didn't chronically anything else.

Anyway, I completed the challenge about a week, maybe two weeks ago. I finished with, I believe 8 saves, A crap load of ammo, and (lol at this) no health items (I did have a couple of FASs, but I didn't take them with me ever because I had no intention of using them) and at Danger. I got really careless towards the end end rapidly pissed through my entire supply of herbs. I finished the game with a B ranking and a final time of 2:00:58. I know where I could've easily shaved off at least a minute and a half in one particular situation. That annoys me.

Okay then, time to start the Claire B scenario. Oh wait. I beat that too. Oddly enough, it was sooooo much easier than the A scenario. I beat it in one sitting, with I believe 8 saves, a B rank, a time of 2:30:xx, and a crap load of ammo/heath items. And I only died twice. Worth noting is I beat both scenarios quick enough enough for an A rank.

I've tried a couple of times to start a Claire A scenario, but the A is just sooo much harder than the B, I haven't even bothered saving yet.

Last edited by TheThirdDay on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 am; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TheThirdDaySH
METALfootball  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a good FE:PoR/FE:RD challenge.

I've already done only Female/only Male runs on both games, and now I need something new to try.

I want it to be as hard as possible without requiring RNG abuse.

Thanks in advance

Maybe Ike only in PoR?

Or no Ike?

EDIT: no restarting (character death is permanently permanent) and game overs resulting in the end of a run would be a better challenge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:

I'm going for a challenge that has been thought up rather recently and so far has only been done once (Original Run), the No Kill Challenge. It's very simple: don't kill anything that doesn't need to be killed (unavoidable bosses: Giant Alligator, William Birkin). The only problem is, well, they'll still be trying to kill me. This'll take a lot of patience and finesse, and more than likely a lot of loaded saves.

This will be preformed on a Ninendo 64 console with no cheat codes/Gameshark in the Leon A campaign on the highest difficulty. Enemies that must be killed can be taken down by any means necessary. FASs (First Aid Sprays) are allowed, but I'll try not to use them. I'll be shooting for under two-hours and forty-five minutes, which I believe would be good for a B ranking, though I plan on saving enough to drop my grade down to a D.

Upon completion, I will be awarded the ultimate prize:

SAVE 0 (GAME START)
  • Made it to the police station with the lowest possible amount of damage taken (three bites: One on the basketball court and two in the bus).
  • Unlocked the first floor doors.
  • Saved in the lobby (This save was unnecessary, but I did it so I could do some Licker dodging training, as I've never tried dodging them before.).

SAVE 1
  • Made it to the S.T.A.R.S. office without taking any damage. Picked up every item (minus ammo, including the shotgun) on the way. Avoided the darkroom, as there's nothing mandatory in there and there are two zombies outside the door.
  • Used up the Spade Key and entered the Library, cleared it of items and left for the 2nd Floor Main Hall. Carelessness lead to my first non-mandatory attack by the second to last zombie in the hall. Brought down to Caution.
  • Picked up the Small Key in the 2nd Floor Waiting Room, used a Green Herb to bring myself back to Fine and saved.

SAVE 2

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Just for bragging rights, I did this when I was 10. *Colin crys* muahaha

jk, but RE is my bitch.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: XxTimetoKillxX PSN Name: XxTimetokillxX
GamingAwesome1  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the best of luck to the RE2 No Kill challenge. That's would be a impressive feat. Anyone wanna try this with Claire?

Anyway I set up my own stupid challenge.

L4D- Any Campaign - Advanced- Pistols Only

Rules:

1. Pistols only and two pistols are allowed.
2. Machine gun turret: NO
3. Molotov or Pipe Bomb: NO

I'll be attempting this and try to put up vids too!
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GamingAwesome1 wrote:
I wish the best of luck to the RE2 No Kill challenge. That's would be a impressive feat. Anyone wanna try this with Claire?

I may go for Claire A after I do Leon A, depending on how much trouble I have doing it. If that goes well, I'll go for Leon B, then eventually Claire B for the FGFC.

Anyway, I need to put aside more time to play this. I'm not around durring the day, and my N64 is upstairs in my room, so I can't be playing it at night. I may just bring it downstairs...

GamingAwesome1 wrote:
Anyway I set up my own stupid challenge.

L4D- Any Campaign - Advanced- Pistols Only

Rules:

1. Pistols only and two pistols are allowed.
2. Machine gun turret: NO
3. Molotov or Pipe Bomb: NO

I'll be attempting this and try to put up vids too!

That would be RIDICULOUSLY hard. I wish you the best of luck. The finales would be stupid hard without Pipe Bombs/Molotovs. Are propane/gas tanks allowed?

If you make vids, PM them to me.
GamesMasterFunk  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be insane or something...

I present to thee:

Final Fantasy I Four White Mages Lowest Level No Class Change

Doing this solo would be outright impossible (Garland is too fast to kill solo, and he won't miss before you get Blink up). Doing it with four is bad enough; I've tried it before and gave up just after Astos

Whilst this isn't the hardest challenge ever done (I know someone who did 4 Black Mages No Magic...) it is still bloody difficult. For the sake of my sanity, I'm playing it on super easy mode (a.k.a. Dawn of souls) - if this succeeds, I might do it on Origins' Normal and then NES () but don't count on it. For now, let's meet the team!

All characters are, indeed, named after "famous" SHers of past and present (I think Lo7's name is Lorenzo but with a six character limit it doesn't fit )

Everyone starts off with the same stats/equipment:

Equipment: Staff, Clothes
Stats:
HP - 33
MP - 10
Str - 5
Agi - 5
Int - 15
Sta - 8
Lck - 5
Atk - 8
Acc - 10
Def - 1
Eva - 56

Attack, Accuracy, Defence and Evasion are determined by equipment, and thus have a tendency to fluctuate. Due to the level up mechanics, I may have to redo fights ad nauseum so as to get optimal stat gains but I'll avoid doing this unless it becomes absolutely necessary.

Because I only start with 500 Gil, I won't get everyone the same spells; I'll get all spells, sure, but I'll try and distribute them fairly.

Corneria's White Magic shop stocks Cure, Dia, Protect and Blink. All cost 50 Gil. Dia is the least useful so I may just leave it (it damages the undead, and only the undead. By the time we reach the first undead boss, we have access to Diara (and maybe Diaga)), but I will find the latter two very useful; Blink in particular is pretty much necessary.

I spent all my money on spells (hindsight's likely going to say this was stupid), but I can always dash to the treasure in the Chaos Temple and sell it, if I need better equipment; I got everyone Protect and Blink, and I got Cure for Garry and Lo7 since they're in the last two slots which means they should get targeted the least; Slot 1 gets targeted 50% of the time, Slot 2 gets targeted 25% of the time and slots 3 and 4 get targeted 12.5% of the time each).

The only useful thing in the weapon shop is a Hammer (8 gil) but I can't buy any - yet - unless I sell everyone's Staff (sells for 2 gil; can be bought at this shop for 4 gil). In the armor shop, there is nothing for a White Mage (the only armor is heavy class and thus can only be equipped by a Fighter, some can be equipped by a Red Mage as well but it's still useless for me). The things in the Item Shop (Potion (40 gil), Antidote (50 gil), Phoenix Down (500 gil) and Sleeping Bag (50 gil)) will be useful at some point, but I can't afford any yet so I'll make do with the free stuff I rob from the Chaos Temple.

I then headed off to Corneria Castle to get the mission of rescuing the Princess (). Since there's nothing at the Castle to loot (...yet...), it's time to go to the Chaos Temple and (try to) beat Garland!

On the way, I get ambushed by two Crazy Horses and game over. Bleh. This will happen a lot, so I might as well grit and bear it.

Next update: Progress!

(All images displayed have been resized with IrfanView; if they are too large, let me know and I'll resize them)
ArsenicSauce  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:

So it's like playing as Tofu, except not as Tofu. This is usually how I play RE2. I save ammo to a crazy extent. I wouldn't mind giving this a try. Tell me though, would it be spoiled if I used save states and a PSX emulator?

Edit: I've starded this. I also plan on recording it and putting it on YouTube. This should be fun.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Arsenik Sauce
radoaos  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that FF1 challenge is a bruiser. I've contemplated trying it. Don't think I will.

Maybe I can come up with a decent FF2 challenge.
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArsenicSauce wrote:
Tell me though, would it be spoiled if I used save states and a PSX emulator?

Edit: I've starded this. I also plan on recording it and putting it on YouTube. This should be fun.

I think using save states would kind of ruin it; anything can be done (to some extent) with save states. Also, it is fun. Very fun.
matt6662  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've decided to go for the RE2 no-kill challange as well. Just had to beat once to get used to it. I'll be doing the on the N64 and will be doing this as soon as I get a bunch of batteries for my video camera to do a log of my progress. I will keep track of my progress below once i start.

Matt wrote:
I sometimes pull the chalk ball out if I am on the ground, but I usually stick my hand in the bag.
ArsenicSauce  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple months later and I've finally made some progress on my run of the RE2 challenge. I decided that I would use savestates with a PSX emulator, just for convenience. Sorry if that spoils it, but that's how I want to do it. If it makes things any better I'm also trying to get bit the minimal amount of times. Anyways, I just got the Unicorn Medallion and I'm rendering my second video to be posted to YouTube.

More Organized Edit:
Part One- Getting to the police station.
Part Two- Making it to the STARS office and meeting Claire.
Part Three- Dousing the burning helicopter.
Part Four- Activating the shutters in the heart key room.

I've only gotten bit 3 times and they were all on the way to the police station in situations that I'm fairly confident are unavoidable without the use of weapons.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Arsenik Sauce
fcedyourmom  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radoaos wrote:
Are there any challenges for FFiv?
Chrono trigger?
Fire emblem?

Well if you have the DS version of CT, you can do a No level game, getting the Wallet in the arena before fighting at all. I'm at the mountain of woe. My successful magus fight took around 42 minutes according to the save times. It's tricky. For fire emblem, you could try something like beating the game and soloing each chapter with a different character (not sure if this is actually possible, FE8 might be because its short).

Slayer17  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFVII Challenge....again!
Having lost my save file for my last challenge a looooong time ago, my friend and I decided to come up with a challenge that we hadn't seen before and see how it works out. This is the result:

Solo Character
Level 1 Limit Breaks Only
Initial Weapon and Armor
No Items
Magic Materia Only

Note that this leaves Cloud with TWO materia slots for the entirety of the game.....shit. Thus far this challenge is proving to be rather...challenging. Here's a little recap of what I've done so far. All dates will be bolded and all bosses will be in red.

12/20/09

- Defeated Guard Scorpion with minimal effort. A few Bolts did the trick. Survived with upwards of 150HP and escaped easily. It actually took 2 tries since I accidentally attacked with Barret the first time(woops).

- Breezed through Air Buster thanks to Curing through the 3 Big Bombers and then Cross-Slashing and Bolting it to death.

- Rapps was the same deal. He pretty much killed himself with Sewer Tsunami anyway lol.

- Got to Reno atop the pillar at about level 11. This was one boss fight that I figured would be absolutely no trouble at all....god DAMN was I wrong. In my last challenge I 1 shot him with Meteorain....not so simple when you can only use Cross-Slash or Braver heh. So, here's how it fucking works. By the time you get to the top of the tower, Tifa must be dead. At this point, you only have Tifa and Cloud in your party since Barret is waiting at the top. To (barely) stick with the challenge and still win the fight, Barret must be on the receiving end of 3 Pyramids, and Cloud must never be hit by one. Reno casts Pyramid on his 2nd, 7th, and 12th turns. I made Barret attack himself the entire time so as to somewhat stick to the Cloud Only part of the challenge. Also, Cloud had to break Barret out of each Pyramid, which wastes precious damage that needs to go to Reno. If Barret gets his Limit Break, he must cast magic on himself. If it gets to this point, you pretty much lose. All that said, I had JUST enough MP to cast Ice 6 times(24MP). This, combined with 2 Limit Breaks, was JUST enough to kill Reno...did I mention I won with 33HP left? EPIC FIGHT IS EPIC!!! Took me well over 20 attempts! Oh yeah, and Barret MUST be in the back row for this fight!

- Defeated the boss after getting Red XIII(Sample something) with no trouble at all. I had a Lucky Star equipped, so its poison breath did nothing to me at all. I simply Iced it to death.

- Stretched the rules juuuust a bit to defeat Heli Gunner. I don't feel bad at all since I barely changed anything, and I didn't have Cloud anyway. I beat the boss with Red XIII by himself. Several of his Limit Breaks, plus a decent amount of Bolts and Cures were enough to win. However, I allowed myself 4 potions since Red was 2 levels lower than Cloud and is therefore doing substantially less damage and has less HP. This proved to be the EXACT right amount. I won the fight with less than 40HP left and no MP at all.

- Rufus was stupidly easy. I 1 shot the dog and killed Rufus with 3 casts of Ice. Lawl.

12/21/09

- Destroyed Motor Ball(<3 Bolt)

- Ran past the Midgar Zolom.

1/22/10

- After not updating for about a month, I have finally decided to post something noteworthy.

- Levelled to 98.

- Am attempting Sephiroth repeatedly. Jenova is pretty easy. Then we have Bizarro....

- Bizarro is a bitch because I can't put out enough damage to keep up with the Core's 6500 HP regen to the Body. Also, his Left and Right Magics cast level 3 magic, which hurts...a lot. I need haste to keep up with the damage, and slow is realllllllly nice for Safer Sephiroth, so that's where my materia slots go: Restore and Time. I have yet to try using Barrier, so we'll see how this goes. Reflecting Shadow Flare would be nice. The process for defeating Bizarro is as follows:
1. Kill Head whenever it respawns, so as not to get hit by Stigma(100% chance of Poison and Slow[Slow is not resisted by Ribbon])
2. Defeat Left and Right Magics as quickly as possible, one at a time.
3. Destroy Core, still killing the Head whenever it comes back to reduce Safer's max HP by 100 each time.
4. Destroy Body after all else is dead.

Last edited by Slayer17 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mr Pants17
slaverix  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh, can't really think of a good doable challenge so I was wondering if a Pokemon FireRed Bulbasaur=>Venusaur only challenge would be worth trying since it has the most weaknesses of all the starters if I'm right. The only time I would ever collect another pokemon is to force it learn a HM move Venusuar can't learn so all I'd really need to catch is a pokemon for flying and one to learn all the water HM moves. Is this worth trying?

Implying rules into the game structure:
~No ultimate moves such as double edge, giga drain, hyper beam, etc.
~Must keep tackle as an attack.
~Other Pokemon maybe caught to get farther in the game but MUST NOT be used.
~Potions and Revives only.

Going to start trying this later, plan to get absorb and then see how fast i can get through the game doing minimal battles, I want to see how I can be before facing the E4 with only the Bulbasaur family.

Last edited by slaverix on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArsenicSauce  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaverix wrote:
Is this worth trying?

In my save on Pokemon Red I have a level 77 Cloyster that can take out the entire elite four without healing, using only two moves (Toxic+Clamp). He may be more useful than Venusaur, and I'm not sure how much more challenging FireRed is, but I'd recommend throwing in another stipulation. Maybe a level cap or some item-usage rule. In my experience playing Pokemon games from every generation it seems that one overpowered Pokemon on a team can take out everything the game has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: