ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH5: Neversoft nailed the little touches (and the big ones)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth, I'm in awe of this game. It was too awesome. It took alot of trial and error (mostly error imo) but they may finally have gotten it right. The controller is awesome and faultless and I really like the look they gave freestyle on the drums.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hope Harmonix is paying attention, all my Rockband songs with all these features would be the greatest game ever.

The gauntlet has officially been thrown.
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering what the preview and what everyone's saying, GH5 is the best game in the series since GH2, am I correct?

One opinion is that some songs might be (or are, for those who have it) a bit boring. My opinion is that while there will be bad and good songs, its just a shame they can't really bring back many songs from GH1, and many other good songs are DLC (both in RB and GH).

*imagines Constant Motion, Caprici Di Diablo, Afterlife, Snow, and Thrasher in GH, and smiles*

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Jaksiel  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean2490 wrote:

I wish song selection wouldn't be based on how popular said song is, but more on how well it translates into the game chart-wise.

It seems like they made plenty of choices not based on song popularity. "Why Bother?" isn't anywhere near the top of the popularity list for Weezer, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they took a huge step forward in regards to the game engine and interface and took another step back in song selection. It took about 30-40 songs before I finally played one that I thoroughly enjoyed, and there was never anything that I played for the first time and thought, CRAP I'm gonna have to practice this one before I can play it confidently.

To me this game is just as disappointing as GHWT; the fact that the interface and engine are hands down better than the predecessor just makes it that much worse that the setlist leaves more to be desired.

I wish I could say that at least there will be awesome DLC that will make up for it, but based on the crap they gave us in GHWT DLC, I'm doubting it will get any better. If not for GH:M and GH:SH, I probably would have given up on this franchise awhile ago.

Here's hoping GH:VH is the shit.
Adohu  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts on GH5.

First of all, I didn't play a single song that I didn't like. Sure, some were boring on guitar, but seriously, the chosen songs were absolutely amazing. Some gems I found that I adored were Make It Wit Chu, Seven (easily one of my favorites in the game and the best drum song ever), L.A., So Lonely, What I Got, Demon(s), and seriously, like 40 more that I find incredible. Best setlist in the GH series in terms of music quality, and that's what makes the game for me. I'm going to have so much fun playing this with my friends.

The engine is at almost perfection, although the slider notes still seem to have the overlapping timing window problem, the sustains still end in the middle of the notes after it. Those are big problems that I would've liked to have been fixed, but the feel of the notes are perfect, and the strum engine seems to work much better than GH:M (never played Smash Hits). I also like how the notes are pushed up when you hit them, it helps me know how far away/close I am to the strike line when I'm hitting fast strumming or trill sequences.

I'm honestly not very fond of the SP meter, rock meter, and score box. Whenever I glance to see my score, I miss a note, and that really makes me mad. Why can't the score just be a little bigger? I like the 5* meter and how you get 6 stars whenever you FC a song (I think?). I also like how in the leaderboards section you can see your % of notes hit, stars, and score. Perfection.

The animations are pretty awesome. I loved watching Matt Bellamy, as well as the others (well, not so much Kurt and Johnny, but that's pretty damn obvious). The encore animations are excellent like usual, and I like how your character does some cool move when it first shows your percent. The final encore venue is the best venue ever, and fits 21st Century Schizoid Man amazingly.

Did I mention 21st Century Schzoid Man yet? This is the best song to ever appear in a GH game in my opinion. The guitar is pretty dull until the speed up, but come on, the song is epic, and if you get bored during the song, you're crazy. The slide section is easier than I expected (-2 sightread), but it's still kind of tough and it's the greatest clusterfuck ever. I never got through past 55% on drums, so I can't really comment on that. It was fun as shit, though, but the snares were in so many random places that I couldn't keep up. The bass at the end of the song sounds terribly hard, too, I really have to see what it's like. Overall, the song is a musical masterpiece, and I'm so glad that it's in the game.

The menus are alright. I don't like how you have to scroll upwards or downwards to see the rest of the menus, I wish I could see them all on a single screen. I also don't like how you can't scroll down to reach the top, but you have to scroll ALL the way back up to get to the top. It took me a half hour to find hyperspeed, I honestly wish it was a cheat instead, hey basically hid the friggin' thing.

GH Mix is a hit and miss for me. There are a bunch of new things that help make songs sound better that are great to see, though I'm still kind of disappointed there's still no mid-song BPM or time signature changes... Meh. They really slowed down the GH Mix process, though. It takes forever for me to navigate to the places I want, when they could've easily made it like GH:WT's, which was perfect (not including features). It will take me forever to make a song if I want to, though at least it will pay off in this game.

Overall, I'm pretty damn impressed with this game. Guitar has it's fair share of duds, but also a lot of majorly fun songs as well. I played seven songs on drums (including Seven, Demons, Schizoid Man, and Scatterbrain to name a few), and they were tons of fun. The song choices are amazing, and this game was well worth the money, even without it including a free purchase of GH:VH. I'm very happy with this. Major kudos, Neversoft.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e24412 wrote:
after having played all 85 songs, i can say that this game has the hands-down poorest setlist for an expert guitar player. before someone jumps in with an oh-so-clever "[2 or 3 songs] would like to have a word with you", allow me to elaborate: elaboration

I mostly agree with you on this one. Johnny Cash is awesome (and looks awesome as well), but Ring of Fire is boring as shit. I also agree with you that a full band release will contain some lackluster guitar tracks, but the Rock Band series has won twice now with it's on-disc releases being more memorable overall. Then again, WT was just so heinous I tried to block it out of my mind.

Which also brings up the point that this game absolutely blows WT out of the water. I love it! Replaying WT songs in GH5's engine is a whole new experience. The graphics are gorgeous, and I really enjoy looking at the band I created from the ground-up rocking out. The soft focus camera angles are sweet. I haven't played all 85 tracks, but heading into the final stretch there are some hidden gems for me (Younk Funk? Funkin' SWEET). The multiplayer is just a blast, and I can find people online to play with in a GH release again, hurrah! I should really stop typing and go back to playing, that's pretty much the best recommendation I can give.

On a final note, I do hope some full bands - or even guitar quartets - get up on the leaderboards, there would be some excellent competition here if some vocalists were lured over from the RB side.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
Sonic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone else also said, I hate that Jimi Hendrix is stuck in WT. When I played WT, even epic songs like crazy train and hotel california felt life-less. Only the Jimi songs had life. But GH5 has the spark again! I also love the animations after you beat a song.

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!!!!!!
MasterAce  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely surprised at how much better this game has gotten since World Tour.

World Tour was fundamentally sound, but it had enough little things that were just...off to turn me away. Neversoft obviously listened to my complaints (me specifically and not anyone else, of course ) and fixed up all of it.

Career Mode online is awesome, the ease of setting up online matches, cross-compatibility FINALLY, and my personal favorite, Challenges that make this game more addictive than Oreos, Pringles, peanut butter..etc.

Even though I knew very little of the setlist going in, the game has some true classic tracks that I've wanted in rhythm games for a long time that I doubt I'll get tired of soon. And even from the VERY few songs I genuinely dislike (very few here, actually), I'm playing them over and over to complete the Diamond Challenges. I love me some Challenges.

I'm glad I gave this game a chance after pretty much swearing off GH forever, because they fixed darn near everything I had an issue with. This game has successfully set a standard in my eyes for how rhythm games should be from now on: smooth and easy to pick up and play for anyone.
Now, I'm gonna go play Younk Funk again.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Perfidious Sinn Wii Friend Code: 7718621967747715
Sonic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, the only think I really dislike is that they changed the flames when you strum the note. I would like the option to have the old flames again. Of course I also like the old (as in GH I & II) rock meter, star power, score, and multiplier display better than the new ones.

guitarheroloover  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im more in the middle about this game, considering the fact i havent played all of it yet.

I love the Hyperspeed per person option, that helps a lot, and im still loving the touch strip turn off option (lol)

Some of these songs i could've easily taken out of this game for being boring (on guitar). Ring of Fire is one of the most EPIC songs ever, but if i were neversoft, i wouldve put it in Band Hero. Same Thing for about the first 3 gigs.

I really like the challenges where you can pick any song that you've unlocked, for example, in the second venue, for the guitar challenge to get i believe 150,000 points on a song for diamond, i ripped that challenge apart by playing All Nightmare Long , but on the other hand, i think there should be a career for each instrument with every song having its own challenge for that instrument, like if im playing guitar, i dont want a challenge for hitting 200 kicks (on drums)

Well, i hope me playing the rest of the game changes my mind, and i still have to look at the music studio, so ill see how it goes from there

30+ FC's on GHWT
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a solution for all of the "boring" songs.

Stand up, and move a little bit. You don't have all dance a bit or anything, but if you just bob your head, you'll get "into" it and starting have a blast. Or, just play in a band. Always helps. Hell, the game even tells you to.

In my opinion, a game is only as fun as you make it. If you sit there and grind songs one after another, it's going to feel like work. That's all there is to it.
matt6662  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played the PS2 version for a few minutes today...

PS2
All I can say is that it's a PS2 and there's gonna be some flaws, but this actually shows that support for the PS2 is finally waining from my viewpoint (And that's a bad thing for me, since I really can't afford a 360 or anything, and its not because of job issues, its just this shitty economy all together...) It's not real bad, but it could have been better on the PS2 point wise. I haven't been able to play it on the Xbox or anything yet, but I will get the oppurtunity on it sometime.

Other Systems coming soon

disclaimer: all opinions are off of like 10-20 minutes of gameplay due to school work so far. And not all systems have been played yet, so a review in full will be coming from my end very soon.

GH Thread RB Thread

[quote:a154c9c13e="Matt"]I sometimes pull the chalk ball out if I am on the ground, but I usually stick my hand in the bag.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumming HOPOs actually works. Holy shit.

That along with Saturday Night and Play That Funky Music makes this THE best GH.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Sonic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing, I can't believe I forgot to mention that I love the option to fully customize your band when you're by yourself. I asked for that before RB 2 came out and they kind of did it. I've always hated that they didn't carry over into quickplay. But in GH5 not only does your band go with you everywhere, you can truly customize your band even you don't have all the instruments. They're even there when you play party mode! This is something RB needs now. It feels weird playing with random bandmates when you're playing by yourself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: