ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Does Direct TV go out every time it rains?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
withmeallthetime  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Does Direct TV go out every time it rains? Reply with quote

I've just moved into a new place and for now we still have the previous owners cable plan, which is Direct TV. I haven't had satellite since I was a kid but it's been out for about 3 hours now. It went out when it had barely started raining and has been out since. I searched a little online and supposedly a properly aligned satellite is never supposed to go out, but apparently it's hard to get them aligned properly.

My cable TV has never gone out, and although the picture and selection isn't quite as good on cable, reliability is probably the most important thing for me. How often does your direct tv go out when it rains?
jonnyg111  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99% sure it's not your individual provider, just the satellite's alignment. I have no idea if they can send anyone out to align it for you, and I can't tell you how to do it myself, my dad usually just goes up on the roof every year or so and gets me to yell out if the signal is good every time he moves it

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 446831583882
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my brother was at your house you'd never drop out. He knows his shit when it comes to home audio and video. All I can say is get the longest range one you can and research wear the broadcasting towers/repeaters are and point it in that general direction.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
retop56  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Southern California and that shit would always go out for a couple weeks over summer, which sucked. We finally switched to Dish Network which was pretty sick, but then our area got fiber optic wiring and I switched to Verizon FiOS. It's simply amazing, free video on demand, fast as hell internet, etc. If your area has support for Verizon FiOS, you should get it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not only Direct TV, its also Dish Network. This is why i hate it when it rains (which where i live, its a 3 month basis.)

OBTAINED STATUS ON 11/12/09 AT 9:20 P.M. CT!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: E Ten Pooh Wii Friend Code: 2265615260693457
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how heavy the winds are and how much its raining out. I remember that it does go out when its usually a decent enough wind to start blowing some things around. That combined with the rains doesn't mix well. At most it'll go out for a few hours, but usually it just buffers and loses connection and such for a bit. Not too bad really.
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem when it rains...
Then again, last time it rained significantly was in April. And even then it was like, two days only.
Wyatt965  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just raining normally, it should be fine. But, if It's storming, like lighting and wind It will go out. That's what happens at my house. I have DirecTV
[08:17pm] [12:54] <Angels2002> lol luk at me spin dis black circle around
[12:54] <Angels2002> hip hop!
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirecTV goes out at my house BEFORE it starts raining. If it gets dark outside, we aren't watching anything anymore.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
No1ButU  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a properly set up sattelite will go out in heavy rain/overcast conditions. We used to have one, heavy rains didn't always knock it out completely, but we'd lose multiple channels, or it'd go down alltogether... Or you get choppy stream that is unwatchable. Rule of thumb: If you live somewhere where high def cable is available, it's often cheaper, AND more reliable. For those in rural areas where cable is not available, the dish is pretty much the only option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: