ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
General Question: Improving performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: General Question: Improving performance Reply with quote

I'd really appreciate some feedback or advice on how 'top' game vocalists actually approach getting their expert FCs. What process is typically applied;
  • to songs you don't know / not heard before, and
  • to songs you know but find troublesome to the point of stagnation.
I'm 'reasonably OK' at the game, and have a few expert five star efforts on GH5 so far. With that said, I've still not attempted about one third of the playlist yet, and there are several songs including; Brianstorm, Wolf Like Me, and What I Got where I am really floundering to get even semi-respectable scores on Hard level.

My approach with new songs has been generally to download them in iTunes, and play them repeatedly in the car, at gym, etc. Usually this is enough to get a decent Hard-level score after a few attempts. If things are going well, I'll simply move up to Expert and try fine tune it.

My problem is increasingly with these occasional songs where I just can't break out of a rut and see no progress being made. YouTube clips have been quite handy at times (digression: thanks to dr00bles for Medicate path ... I've not got Diamond, but doubt I would have even got Gold without this clip), but failing to move beyond repeatedly getting 'Solids' is pretty frustrating. I sometimes try these songs in different octaves, and that occasionally can help.

How do you go about learning a new and unheard song? Start at Medium and work up? Hop straight into Expert? Download the original and learn it first? Use YouTube clips from other vocalists? Other approaches?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cam-H on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good question.

I play exclusively on Expert mostly because lower difficulties will reward you for singing incorrect pitches, and if you keep singing those wrong pitches (say in a repeated chorus), then it will reinforce a bad habit. It's best, in my opinion, to sing on Expert (if you're playing for score/perfection, anyway) so you can be sure that what you're singing is "correct" (i.e. what the game wants).

I'd say I probably knew about 20 of the 83 songs in GH5, so naturally, there had to be a learning process. Mostly, I do what you do. I download the songs and listen to them on the way to work, at the gym, anywhere I can. I tend to listen more closely to the songs I know are harder. Then, after about a week, I give 'em a crack on Expert. Usually I sing straight through at first to get a feel for the song, its difficult areas, etc. Then it's straight to practice mode where I take it phrase by phrase at the trouble spots.

YouTube clips from other vocalists can also be very helpful (glad my Medicate vid helped), which is why I set up my vocals video reference thread. The only word of caution I have is that sometimes vocalists will barely squeeze out "Excellents" (God knows I've done it a million times), and if you try to perfectly replicate what they're singing you might end up missing the mark. But in general, doing this will help, especially with oddly pitched songs like Sultans of Swing.

In terms of improvement, there's one thing you always have to remember. Your brain takes a while to really soak in the things it's learned. So often I find myself in a situation where I'll labor away on a song in practice mode for hours, learning and perfecting every phrase, and still unable to string it all together in a real run. Then I'll go back the next night and FC it on my first try. Your brain is weird like that. Sometimes sleep will help you absorb all your hard work.

Vocals, more than the other instruments, is a two-step process:

1) Learn (i.e. understand what the game wants)
2) Execute (i.e. actually produce the sounds the game wants)

Try to take it step-by-step. Spend some quality time making mental notes of what the game is looking for. Then see how well you can replicate it.

Some songs are hard to learn but easy to execute (I'd say Under Pressure falls into this category), while others are both hard to learn and hard to execute (Superstition, Stone Cold Crazy). Either way, it's all about truckin' on, seeing what makes the game happy, and conditioning yourself to apply your voice accordingly and consistently.

Hope this helps! Let us know how you progress.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good advice Droobles. If i'm really struggling to get an FC I will give it a run through, and make a note of all the places that have a cluster of unusual pitches (the main cause of SOLIDs for me) and I will work out the pitches individually and repeat them to myself until I have it down in my head then I will try to hit it in the song. A break in the song is a good time to remind yourself of that awkward phrase. If the phrase is quite early in the song then thats good because you can just start over until you hit it. If you play on Hard perhaps it might be an idea to practice on Expert? Perhaps it might even help to mute the music and just try to hit the pitch lines. Sounds weird, I know, but I can usually guess what note it is I have to sing when I'm sightreading a song by looking at the lines (might be from a lot of experience). Also another benefit to that is you're not getting distracted by what you're hearing/what you think you're hearing and what you actually need to sing, and when you figure out what needs to be sung its going to be a lot easier when you have to do it in an actual run. I used to take a phrase and find the notes I needed to sing and record myself singing them then play it back until I had it down.

dr00bles wrote:
Usually I sing straight through at first to get a feel for the song, its difficult areas, etc. Then it's straight to practice mode where I take it phrase by phrase at the trouble spots.

This is the best way really unless you give the song a run through and you find that ALL of the phrases are tricky for you. If that's the case, then you want to listen to the song on the way to work or at the gym, as droobles suggested. Sometimes I'll play it on guitar to get a feel for it.
I don't really go for FCs anymore cos it involves all that stuff and I'm too lazy and I don't really like GH5 vocals that much.

Also, does anybody else miss those lines that used to connect the notes? They were pretty helpful, they weren't especially pretty though. Maybe they could be brought back as a faint trail in GH6 or something?
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOYOBOYY wrote:
Also, does anybody else miss those lines that used to connect the notes? They were pretty helpful, they weren't especially pretty though. Maybe they could be brought back as a faint trail in GH6 or something?

I miss them. Without them, distiguishing half-steps is nearly impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
BOYOBOYY wrote:

I miss them. Without them, distiguishing half-steps is nearly impossible.

I miss them too. The more I play GH5, the more I think I actually prefer the GH:M engine and with the fireball.

My only problem is calibration. Y2Grae helped me to get a starting point. However, I am still having problems. Without the right calibration, I have no idea if I miss the beginning of the phrase b/c I am not on the right pitch or if because I am off the beat.

With that said, I might ended up play more GH:V when I finally get my copy.

As for suggestions, if I am learning a new song, I will use the practice mode and actually run phrase by phrase. Once I have the first 4 to 5 phrases down, I will run it again only this time with all 5 together. I know this is much more time consuming, but since I am such a slow learner to this engine and what the game want, this is pretty much the only way I can embed myself with songs I haven't heard before.

My YouTube Channel
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles and BOYOBOYY,

Many thanks to both of you for your extensive replies.

dr00bles wrote:
It's best, in my opinion, to sing on Expert (if you're playing for score/perfection, anyway) so you can be sure that what you're singing is "correct" (i.e. what the game wants).
BOYOBOYY wrote:
If you play on Hard perhaps it might be an idea to practice on Expert?

It’s a really good point. I have run into the problem outlined, where I’ve presumably been on the margin in terms of pitch on Hard but getting through, and then missing notes when graduating to Expert – very frustrating with long held notes for which star power was destined only to find that by the time the right pitch is achieved I’ve missed the ‘Excellent’.

dr00bles wrote:
Mostly, I do what you do. I download the songs and listen to them on the way to work, at the gym, anywhere I can.

That’s reassuring. I’d done this with No Doubt’s ‘Ex-Girlfriend’, and surprised to see that when I eventually fired it up on GH5 for the first time, half the frigg’n song was talkies!

dr00bles wrote:
Then it's straight to practice mode where I take it phrase by phrase at the trouble spots.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere, but practice mode really could provide more feedback than it does. Consequently I hardly ever use it, but clearly I should more than I do.

dr00bles wrote:
Your brain takes a while to really soak in the things it's learned.

This is a really interesting thought. I often put particularly good and bad sessions down to things like hydration, distractions, and fatigue (and once in a while, partial intoxication), but allowing the brain to rewire itself over time sounds like a good proposition too.

BOYOBOYY wrote:
If the phrase is quite early in the song then thats good because you can just start over until you hit it.

"The world is a vampire"

BOYOBOYY wrote:
Perhaps it might even help to mute the music and just try to hit the pitch lines … I used to take a phrase and find the notes I needed to sing and record myself singing them then play it back until I had it down.

I’ve not tried either of these, but heck – I’ll give them a shot. Recording is something that would be great as an in-game design feature for practice mode.

BOYOBOYY wrote:
Sometimes I'll play it on guitar to get a feel for it.

I’m not sure if you mean ‘GH’ guitar or ‘real’ guitar, but I’ve certainly done songs on ‘GH’ bass guitar, which I’m laughingly poor at btw, just to (as you say) get a feel for a song.

BOYOBOYY wrote:
I don't really like GH5 vocals that much.

Anything in particular? Sorry if you’ve already addressed this in another thread.

BOYOBOYY wrote:
does anybody else miss those lines that used to connect the notes

Me too, but there are other issues (such as the yellow-on-yellow colour scheme) that I’d like addressed.

Thanks again chaps for your thoughtful replies.

[Edit]

Crosspost with dogfoodnyc!

dogfoodnyc wrote:
if I am learning a new song, I will use the practice mode and actually run phrase by phrase. Once I have the first 4 to 5 phrases down, I will run it again only this time with all 5 together. I know this is much more time consuming

It may well be, but I guess it overcomes my problem with going up in levels over time where what works at a lower level won't 'cut it' higher up. It's an interesting approach. Thanks!
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate, hate, hate sightreading in GH5 (or any GH vocals engine for that matter), but GH5 is particularly annoying because the hollow pipes make it very hard to figure out if I'm off key by a little or a lot.

My order of preference is to:

- If the song is available in Rock Band 2, I'll play the song through in RB2 first and nail down the pitches as much as I can. Once I'm confident that I'm doing it mostly right I switch back to GH5 (I did this on They Say since I got fed up with missing those little pitch warbles that I couldn't see). This does have some pitfalls, as the two games aren't always charted the same way on vocals (see: Feel Good Inc. and Under Pressure), but it at least gets you closer, faster.

- Watch the official music video (or better yet, someone else's FC run) on Youtube and just familiarize myself with the music without singing. Then a few more times, attempting to sing along and watching for dissonant notes. Pitfalls are as mentioned above by dr00bles.

- Go into practice mode and hammer the phrases into my head the hard way. This is not always an effective approach, because of the problem I mentioned earlier about not knowing exactly how far off any given note is from what is charted.

Other than that... repetition, repetition, repetition.
Dentata  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in the league of some of the other folks who have replied, (I'm just a dr00bles wannabe with better taste in hockey teams ). That said, I do have a couple of ideas that haven't already been mentioned.

- If you don't do so already, try playing with headphones. I'm on the Wii, and when I got my wireless headphones, things definitely improved for me.

- Play with the audio mixer. I put the game vocals as high as possible, everything else as low as possible, and my voice is muted. Other combinations might work better for you...in RB2, I had to shut Bob Dylan up in order to FC Tangled Up in Blue, but he's a special case.

- Play with the audio calibration settings. There seems to be a small lag for the engine to figure out the note you are singing. My headphones take the audio directly from the Wii, before it goes through the TV, so I auto-calibrate to 0. When I added 20ms to this, several songs in GH5 got easier for me. (Brianstorm, and the "Why Did You"s of In The Meantime come to mind).

- Practice mode gives you plenty of feedback if you can do the math in your head. Each phrase is worth the same amount percentage wise (+/- 1 for rounding), so you can figure out where you are missing easily enough. If you aren't sure what the numbers should be, drop to easy for 1 run and write them down, but unless you doing lots of phrases at a time in practice mode, you can figure it out easily enough. Small groups of phrases is what I do in practice mode, often groups of 4 which form a verse or chorus, but that depends on how the game groups them.

- Know when to walk away, and know when to run If you are getting frustrated, change songs or do something else. Fortunately, the Wii controller includes a wrist strap, so my TV is still intact.

- Drink water and don't eat. Thinner people sing better. Seriously, vocal cords need the liquid, and food = phlegm = ballads sounding like death metal.

- Have fun. It is a game, and not everyone was meant to FGFC it.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all advice above (except maybe the RB2 bit due to differences in charting).

Also, this may sound lame, but watch the vocals tutorial. They have a new section about vocal health that's actually pretty valuable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
Agree with all advice above (except maybe the RB2 bit due to differences in charting).

Also, this may sound lame, but watch the vocals tutorial. They have a new section about vocal health that's actually pretty valuable.

the tutorial is really funny xD
Icemage  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentata wrote:

- Drink water and don't eat. Thinner people sing better.

I'm sorry, but are you serious?

If Luciano Pavarotti were still alive I think he'd like to have some words with you.
tidus  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Dentata wrote:

If Luciano Pavarotti were still alive I think he'd like to have some words with you.

Or maybe Billtvshow himself?

Seriously, all of this advice reminded me of the way I FC'd Under Pressure and other harder songs. Familiarity is everything, especially on songs with scat singing/wankery. Pick that pesky part that's bugging you on Training, train 'til you nail it. After nailing it, repeat. Get some consistency. Some songs may take a lot of time on Training, especially Superstition, which I personally feel like I need to train phrase by phrase with exception of the 1st one.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Dentata wrote:

I don't think your weight makes any difference, but it's definitely true that your voice will be affected if you try singing directly after you eat. When you're eating, your throat produces mucus and phlegm to help ease the food down. Also, especially with dairy products, your throat may coat itself or swell as a reaction to the bacteria.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Dentata wrote:

Not at all serious about the thin remark. It was just something that sprung to mind after saying "don't eat". Usually I keep the conversations that my mind has with itself private, but sometimes it slips out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: