ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
help a beginner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zemoo  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: help a beginner? Reply with quote

Can any one not sing in GH? I have a terrible voice, but I know other people who I wouldn't say have good voices/can't sing in real life, but they can do expert vox. I understand that you don't have to be a good singer to do the game, but is it possible that I could not sing certain pitches, or am I just inexperienced?

My voice doesn't project, and sometimes the mic won't register any pitch when I am singing, is there any better way to project, or can some people not do this, or is it a different problem altogether?

I can pass some easy vox, but I don't do well, and I heard that lower levels make you lazy, so is there a way to practice and get better without getting lazy?

I am pretty tone deaf. Is that something you can learn to overcome, or am I stuck with it?
boss1592  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey zemoo, welcome to vocals 101

1st of all, i cant stress this enough, sing on expert, singing on the lower difficulties can reward you for doing something wrong, so stick with expert, or even hard at the lowest, but definately get up to expert as sonn as u can pass a song that isnt all talkies.

for your 1st question, i would put it down to inexperiance, and the only solution for inexperiance is to just keep playing and get experianced. just keep practicing, even just singing without being anywhere near guitar hero i find can really help with pitch control.

for the mic problems, i usually sing with the mic very close to my lips, so maybe try holding the mic a little closer, or singing louder. projection is something iv'e never had a problem with, so im not sure how much help i can be there

i dont know about the tone deakness thing either sorry

hope this helped, and good luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that one thing that helped immensely when I was beginning on vocals was to really know how your first few songs go. My first song on Guitar Hero vocals was Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast). I chose this because I had liked the song for a long time, and I actually knew all the words and pitches, so I didn't have to focus on those during the song quite as much.

When you're first starting, it can be hard to tell really what pitch the game is looking for. Even if the pitch line is in the dead center of the runway, you may not get it, simply because you're not experienced enough to recognize that a pitch line in the game matches up to "x" pitch in real life.

Playing songs that you already know makes it easier because it gets rid of (most of) the guesswork. Your ability to sing songs without having heard them before will only come with time.

By playing those songs that you already know, you'll be able to work on tweaking your voice, and all of a sudden playing on Expert isn't so bad.

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
zemoo  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it a bad Idea to do career mode?
should I just quickplay songs I know until I get the hang of it?
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zemoo wrote:
is it a bad Idea to do career mode?
should I just quickplay songs I know until I get the hang of it?
I say it doesn't really matter. Since playing on Career is the same thing as Quickplay, unless you want a 5* Vocal Career on "Sightread" then I would assume that would be a yes. But it doesn't really matter tbh
zemoo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with career is that I do not know all the songs, and since I usually do not get more than 3 stars, I have to do most of them to get to the next tier. W/ quickplay I could just skip to any song and do it. But I cannot judge how objectively hard a song is, so I would hope that career has them in the right order of easy to hard. Also I feel more pressure to perform in career.

My ultimate goal is to be able to pass comfortably (4 stars/ no red/ danger of failing) most songs on expert, so if I have friends over and they want to do the other instruments I can still play and not fail them out of the song (gh5 fixed this cause I can get played back in but other games I think I would still fail the song for everyone.) Also most of my singing is just me cracking my voice and going falsetto to hit notes, and I would like to at least seem like I'm singing the song how it's supposed to be sung.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: