ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
singing by sight or ear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zemoo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: singing by sight or ear? Reply with quote

I was playing wt, trying to sing on expert, I can pass expert vox on other games, but this seems harder.
Also I noticed that if i tried to sing early to position the comet to the pitch sometimes when I was way off it would jump into the pitch when the note started, and after most notes were over the comet, without me changing my pitch, would jump back to around the center. Does the position of the comet, when there are no notes to be sung, differ from the position when there are or am I mistaken. I've been trying to sing by sight, but If this is true then i should stop right? and sometimes it seems that I hit every note just above or below a pitch, the comet jumps past the "correct pitch" back and forth and that really pisses me off. Am I crazy or has this happened to anyone else?
werelord  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: singing by sight or ear? Reply with quote

zemoo wrote:
I was playing wt, trying to sing on expert, I can pass expert vox on other games, but this seems harder.
Also I noticed that if i tried to sing early to position the comet to the pitch sometimes when I was way off it would jump into the pitch when the note started, and after most notes were over the comet, without me changing my pitch, would jump back to around the center. Does the position of the comet, when there are no notes to be sung, differ from the position when there are or am I mistaken. I've been trying to sing by sight, but If this is true then i should stop right? and sometimes it seems that I hit every note just above or below a pitch, the comet jumps past the "correct pitch" back and forth and that really pisses me off. Am I crazy or has this happened to anyone else?

It can happen because of change of octaves or other things, you're not crazy. However, it is good to learn the song especially on the GH engine. This takes trial and error and you will probably never get a SRFC except on non-talkie songs, but that's how it works. So my suggestion I guess is to play by ear, but learn it. I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing by ear, not by sight. You pretty much need to know the song to do well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you regularly sight read, you're doing it by sight. When you do it in GH games, you do it by sight via pitch references. You can use your ear to help, if you have the volume high and know that you're going to have audio lag that will allow you to hear the pitch of the note before you can hear it in-game.

Just to note, the first time you ever play a song on ANYTHING you should probably NEVER expect an FC, if that's what you're asking. Expecting something to be easy leads to you getting angry at yourself for not being able to FC the song, "because it's obviously so easy."

Doing better on Vocals requires you to listen to the song more, which is the main part of FC'ing, listening to the pitches.
zemoo  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to FC, I can barely pass. I am almost tone deaf, and have an especially hard time understanding what my own voice sounds like, so I was trying to sing by sight not ear. While doing this, I realized that the comet changes position very quickly when the first note goes by it. (e.g. in VH Master exploder, I could not get the comet low enough to hit that first note, at least not in preparation of the note, I got it almost low enough, but when the note came by, suddenly I was singing low enough, the highest and lowest comet positions expanded. In a song with a long voxless intro, I tried a chromatic scale and noticed the comet wouldn't get all the way to the top and started not all the way at the bottom.) I wanted to know if this was what really happens, or if I was subconsciously changing at the last second to hit the note, If perhaps the engine compensated for the discrepancy, or I just can't sing chromatically, etc.
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when there's nothing to sing, or if there's a freeform or hype occurring, the range for the vocal highway suddenly shortens to just one octave's worth (12 pitches). That's why you may see the comet jump all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom when you do your improvisations.

Then when there IS something to sing, the range changes according to the song. It's not so much a chance of preparing to get there now, but knowing exactly what note to hit.

I know it won't be easy given that you stated you're tone deaf, but the least I can suggest now is to practice hitting them, or maybe use something like a real instrument on standby or the note reference in the freeforms discussion threads to help you decide what notes you should be hitting.

I just don't know what else to suggest, really. It's usually common place for those taking up vocals to learn the songs and sing by ear, so it's difficult to make that kind of suggetion to people like yourself. I hope what little I could provide would be able to help somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooffus pretty much nailed it. The sections without pitches to sing will match the comet to an octave scale. But the pitch tunnels will not necessarily be on the same plane as those same pitches in the aforementioned octave scale, which means that the comet may suddenly jump to a different place.

Which is why you pretty much have to know what pitches to sing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: