ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The ghost taps on rewinds could be patched away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plemming  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: The ghost taps on rewinds could be patched away. Reply with quote

Hey all, not a DJ hero owner but I've been around music games since beatmania, and played almost all of them. I played DJ hero at a friends house, thought it was fun but he was having the ghost button taps during rewinds or any kind of decent speed scratch, and as he plays for combo he couldn't stand playing and so lent it to me to try and fix and have a mess about with it until I next went up.

Before I looked much further and did some reading and I saw this was pretty common, but somebody noted that the spam hits didn't seem to happen in the dashboard, and over in a complaint thread on this forum they're looking at how the inputs look when connected to a PC. All fair and well, but I felt I should try and test when was actually happening.

Try it yourself - get Xpadder, attach a normal XBox controller to your PC and define the pad layout for all of the inputs, and assign keyboard commands to each one. Save that layout, disconnect the pad and attach the DJ Hero controller. Try all the buttons, dials and scratch a bit. Then finally spin hard.

Why on Earth is the left stick of all things triggering down signals? It wouldn't make a lot of sense at the best of times, but you could explain that away as electrical noise. Even so, that particular input and direction is never actually used in game, so which bright spark decided to map that up to an input in-game? Debugging?

I will admit I'm an old gamer that wishes for the days when games weren't full of bugs at release, and when it wasn't acceptable for a game to be released full of bugs and to just wait for a patch to squash half of them - we're not your unpaid beta tester resources, games companies, quit this - but Activision are in a prime position to save themselves money by simply pushing out a patch that stops the game listening to this fucking input at all. It's just not needed. It would save themselves a lot of RMAs where after a bit of use the controllers are starting to ghost-hit this input, where if the game was actually programmed worth a shit it would never have been a problem.

I perfectly well know the track record of Activision for paying attention, but something as utterly trivial as this could be patched in an instant, and I'm damn sure that if they handed me the source code today, I could patch this myself within an hour. If they told the developers (or they did themselves) to patch it, I'm sure that with the original programmers and even allowing for internal testing and Microsoft's own testing, this could be solved within a week.

It's lunacy and I post this here in hope that if enough people bring attention to the actual cause of this problem, and how it could be easily worked around in software, that it could be taken notice of and patched. Good luck with that I know, but I felt the need to post something because I'm utterly perplexed that this was allowed past QA.

In other bad news, it's the pad for sure that is making fast taps impossible to hit without overtapping. The buttons on the pads just don't reset themselves and aren't sensitive enough. No easy fix there I'm afraid!
Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe activision has shown us with almost a dozen gh games, that they will release buggy shit, and will not patch it <_<

They will instead, require you to re-buy the fixed version...

bunch of d-bags, seriously...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait, you saying that there is essentially a hidden button on the Deck that activates randomly on Rewinds??

If so, then thats just Activison trying to make an Un-FCable game.
plemming  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuardianDemon wrote:
So wait, you saying that there is essentially a hidden button on the Deck that activates randomly on Rewinds??

If so, then thats just Activison trying to make an Un-FCable game.

Basically correct. After wear and tear it looks like it's ghosting a direction on the left stick, but only slightly and while staying in the dead zone that's used in the dashboard.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which particular input is getting spammed, because it's NOT one used in game or impressible on the DJ Hero controller, and the inputs you can use stay stable. All that's needed is for the pointless behaviour of DJ Hero responding to an input that isn't provided on the controller to be patched away.

It's most likely just debug code left in.

I will open the pad next and see if there's a loose ground wire or some other externally visible reason for this instability that seems to only happen after some play, but I have my doubts, and is doing probably my least favorite thing in the computer world, which is patching software via hardware.
nytelyte  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
I believe activision has shown us with almost a dozen gh games, that they will release buggy shit, and will not patch it <_<

Quoted for truth.

GH games sold ridiculously well and they didn't patch them. What makes anyone think they'll consider patching this abomination of a game engine when the sales aren't too terribly great?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: nyt3lyt3 ICQ Number
nardi11011  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely sure I get what you're saying, but AFAIK the left thumbstick is used for turntable rotation speed, but it only uses very small values which are negated by the controller deadzone normally.
Make sure you're hitting the drum controller
plemming  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nardi11011 wrote:
I'm not completely sure I get what you're saying, but AFAIK the left thumbstick is used for turntable rotation speed, but it only uses very small values which are negated by the controller deadzone normally.

That's interesting in how unstable that is then. Cheap optical sensor?

And if that's all it is, then whatever is causing the buttons to trigger on the 360 simply isn't happening on a PC. Could just be a tiny, tiny spike on the buttons that the PC wireless sensor isn't picking up.

That could be filtered out too, haha.
henryz  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just signed up to the forum because I'm also having this problem. If I spin the deck it just sets buttons off. It's also hard to get even a rewind Got it for christmas and was enjoying it until now I find I'll have to try send it to Activision or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: