ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Question about GHVH MOTCAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroSmash  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Question about GHVH MOTCAP Reply with quote

I would like know if Guitar Hero: Van Halen Motion Capture was with David Lee Roth, Alex Van Halen, Eddie and Wolfgang Van Halen, since there is no video about it.

Or just "invented".
TheJackpotter  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, yes, it was mo-cap'd by Van Halen. Every single "Guitar Hero: *band name here*" was mo-cap by the respective band.
FrankieB  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, the band in its existing form (with the fat Asian kid as the bass player) went into Neversoft to do motion capture, which was then handed off with the game engine to Underground Development/Budcat Creations to finish the rest of the game for all of the respective consoles.

It says in the credits that the motion capture was done at Neversoft. As far as NS's role other than that (aside from building the engine) I don't think there is any.

But yes supposedly, the motion capture is the actual band, just as in Metallica/Aerosmith, etc.

I mean in reality, all the movements we see for anything past Guitar Hero 2 or 80's (I think) is all motion captured in one way or another.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
Rapstah  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neversoft would also have charted most of the setlist, or at least have given charting lessons to the Underground Development guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapstah wrote:
Neversoft would also have charted most of the setlist, or at least have given charting lessons to the Underground Development guys.

I'm pretty sure Neversoft didn't chart it- from what I've seen the usage of the slider notes seem really really off compared to Beenox/Neversoft charts.
BShea  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.... in the credits, Van Halen gets no credit for motion caputre. I also read in another review that they had no part in the motion capture process.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankieB wrote:
I mean in reality, all the movements we see for anything past Guitar Hero 2 or 80's (I think) is all motion captured in one way or another.

with the exception of the GH3 drummer of course.... XD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BShea wrote:
Actually.... in the credits, Van Halen gets no credit for motion caputre. I also read in another review that they had no part in the motion capture process.

I've read this also. In the Game Informer review it states that Van Halen didn't have anything to do with motion capture.
FrankieB  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BShea wrote:

lSnakel wrote:
I've read this also. In the Game Informer review it states that Van Halen didn't have anything to do with motion capture.

If that's true, that's completely wrong. Van Halen did in fact go into Neversoft and do all the motion capture for their music.

I don't want to flex my insider muscles here but I know a small handful of people at Neversoft and remember them telling me about this many, many moons ago. Just to be sure I asked Chris Vance again and he confirmed it for me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
Syclone0044  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the rather "hands off" approach and total lack of involvement and promotion by Van Halen, I find it really hard to believe that Van Halen themselves were involved in the motion capture.

Does anyone have some evidence? A quote, a link, something?

I watched the GHVH credits too and nothing in it suggested VH did their own Mo-cap.

Furthermore every other band that did Mo-cap had videos showing them donning the suits and talking about it.

For Van Halen - zilch.

Guitar Hero Instrument Photo Repair Guides (Guitar/Drum) - Fix your broken GHWT strumbar (doublestrum), drum kit insensitive red pad, collapsing drum stand legs with my how-to guides.

I play GH3, GHWT, GHM, GH5 on Wii, and GHOT/GHOT:D on DS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 0597910363246474
ChrisVance  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to see a sexy, sweaty, David Lee Roth in a mocap suit.

There is your quote.

Edit : I also rocked out some Tool jams on GHWT with Wolfgang. Pretty cool dude.
Smike  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an interview on Major Nelson's podcast with someone involved in the game (not sure if it was a developer, producer or just a promoter) and they mentioned that Van Halen did in fact do motion capture. Also, they said that the band members made comments about how certain tapping sequences weren't done correctly and how to tweak them, etc.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/12/20/show-344-vga-s-gh-van-halen-borderlands-and-splinter-cell-conviction.aspx

The lack of footage is definitely weird, but according to that interview, the band was indeed "deeply involved" with the creation of the game.

Edit: Though I suppose in the time it took my internet to reconnect, the end-all be-all reply was posted. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smike wrote:
The lack of footage is definitely weird, but according to that interview, the band was indeed "deeply involved" with the creation of the game.

maybe because Van Halen does not like being "very public", now remember their concerts dont want to rec.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: