ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Vocal Difficulty per Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Fuzz  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks that GH5 is beyond hard? For reference, I have a RB2 FGFC, and I FCd Killer Queen on Smash Hits within one day of practice, but I haven't even 5*d Under Pressure on GH5 yet, while I love that song, know it really well and have played it at least thirty times, and it took me three tries to THREE STAR Superstition. I know those are hard songs, but still. It seems like the pitch lines are a lot smaller, and I think a lot of my problem is that there's no line following the fire-arrow thingy, so it's a lot harder to find the pitch.

I also don't get why everyone thinks Metallica is so hard. I mean yeah, FFWF and SCC are really hard, but they're not impossible. I think it's harder to FC songs in that game, but the overall difficulty isn't really that hard. If I were to rate the games in order of difficulty to FGFC, I'd say:

GH:SH<RB2 (Added it just because)<GH:M<GH:WT<GH5<BH (Don't have the game, but it's on the GH5 engine, and with the songs the game has, it can't be easy)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my input.

Easiest To FGFC

World Tour- A relatively small percentage of a phrase is needed to keep combo and scrolling speed is slow, giving you a little time to adjust your pitch. Good God, OWOA and L'Via are ridiculously hard but it's just a matter of knowing the song well and luck. My personal favourite vocal engine and game combo.

Smash Hits- Much more leniant than WT, but some of the songs on it are just horrible to listen to and perform (The Trooper, More Than A Feeling, Hey You). That's just my opinion of the setlist though. I honestly don't see or feel and difference between all of the 2nd Gen vocals games (WT, M SH, VH) so any of these is based solely on my assessment of the charts and how well I get on with the songs.

5- Yes you have Superstition, Sympathy, Fame and Sultans of Swing but there isn't anything that's LOLWTF like TotL or SCC. As a note, I did notice quite a lot of difference between consoles as I played 5 on Xbox, PS3 and Wii. Wii was by far the easiest, and I think that's been a staple throughout the series (for me at least). Xbox was next, but I found the PS3 version to be marginally harder than both. I don't know why, maybe I didn't like the HD version of the tubes, maybe it was just bad luck but i found FCs much harder on PS3.
I also quite liked the 3rd Gen vocal style, as I trained myself on RB. Of course RB is far easier than GH, but just the addition of specified OD phrases (I found juggling the actual song and OD very hard xD) and the overall pitch detection, look and feel of the new system made getting into the game and FCing stuff much easier than the transition between RB2 and WT (Ouch XD)

Van Halen- I ranked this above 5 simply because of the appalling setlist. There are a few gems that are really fun to sing (Dope Nose, I Want It All and Space Truckin') but most of the setlist is just bilge. I really didn't want to play it. The actual Van Halen songs were awful, with a few exceptions that I previously liked (Ice Cream Man and The Atomic Punk), it was a really uninspiring setlist. Fans of VH who are familiar with the 2nd Gen engine will find this much easier than I did, either lower than or tied with 5.

I'm gonna get philosophical now because I honestly cannot decide between Metallica and Band Hero which is harder for a FGFC, each has it's own valid reasons.

Metallica- There are a few real monsters on here (SCC, Turn the Page, Mercyful Fate, Fight Fire With Fire and Albatross) I know there is a kind of divide amongst vocalists on Metallica. I know for a fact that SCC was one of the only songs that withheld Boss from the FGFC, because he is good at songs like Albatross. I, on the other hand, find Albatross nearly impossible and SCC less so. SCC and Mercyful Fate were the only songs I sacrificed words for due to me getting pissed off. I found the engine to be the same as VH and SH, but the songs were much more demanding. Once again, the Wii engine is easier and Xbox and PS3 about equal, but the degradation of contrast and visua clarity made actually seeing notes much harder. Out of this and Band Hero, this was the massive wooden mallet compared to the electrocuted maze that was Band Hero.

Honest, the analogy makes sense. Metallica had a very small amount of hard songs on a bad engine, but they kicked your arse when you slip up. Band Hero was like something out of Saw. Every phrase would throw you a curveball, makinn FCs much harder.

Band Hero was much more consistantly difficult, with a lot of very very hard songs. As this was a much more Pop based game, you don't have the winding epics like Mercyful Fate, but you have the SCC rivaling ABC and batshit insane Turn Off The Light. Saying that, BH had it's fair share of overtiered songs, such as Kids and Put Your Records On.

Basically, it's personal preference when it comes down to FGFCs. The one I put most man hours into was SH, just because of More Than A Feeling, and my undying hate for it, but Band Hero was made up of songs that I was very familiar with (such as my 2nd run American Pie FC).

If I had to sum this bloody essay up, I would say:
WT<SH<5<VH<Metallica<Band Hero

Wow, did I type that much? That's like, more than most of my homework. >.>

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
...just horrible to listen to and perform (More Than A Feeling).

The one I put most man hours into was SH, just because of More Than A Feeling, and my undying hate for it.

Why in the world do you hate that song?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he finds it overplayed? I can honestly understand, actually.

And i'm with B-Fuzz on GH5 being really tough. I personally find the engines in Van Halen and Metallica a lot more forgiving than GH5/BH, but i've played those two the most out of the six. I haven't played enough WT to really give input on it, but I guess the general conseus is that it and Smash Hits are the easiest? I've played a little bit of Smash Hits, and I find it not as hard, unless you don't know the songs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno why, I just cannot stand it.
Or Boston in general.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
werelord  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand hating More then a Feeling everyone has an opinion. But I'm also with B-fuzz on GH5/BH being insane. And now that I have played every game I'd have to go with.
SH<WT<M=VH<5<BH
|
Hardly played VH and the songs seem just as hard as M maybe I just havn't contributed enough time but I still think these are about equal.

Just a note. In my list I am not at all downgrading GHM I know it is insane as do I know VH is insane. But I atleast can figure stuff out easily. 5 and BH engine is just incredibly unforgiving and it takes forever to figure stuff out so in my mind those two are easily the hardest. I honestly can't see how you guys find 5 so easy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just chip in my 2 pence regarding 5 starring songs:
I know that the different PS2 scoring system affects things somewhat (making some easier and some harder to 5*), but I would have to say that GH5 is WAY harder than Metallica.
Other than Black River and Evil I didn't find anything challenging in Metallica at all, whereas I am still struggling with 2 GH5 songs even having played them repeatedly (Rock Show and Brianstorm) and there were at least 3 others that really demanded some work to 5* them.

I think some people's judgment may be clouded by the number of easy songs there are on disc, but I would probably say
WT<M<5
(I'll add in BH and VH once I've got them)
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to amend my previous post.

This is how it goes:

WT<SH<GH5<GHVH<BH<GHM.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it true that the vocal engine for GH5 on Wii is laggy? I have a hard time singing in that game, but I'm not sure if it's just because I'm a bad singer.

Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a Wii user myself, I didn't sense much lag, though the only times that I've had to sing early though were for ridiculously short phrases in certain songs (e.g. most of the lines in the verses for "Ring of Fire"), just so I could keep combo. Longer ones weren't much of a problem though.

Regardless, I was more pinned down by the wider lag for World Tour than there was for GH5, which meant having to put it into practice *there* more often

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't mind me double posting but I now have a general opinion of my own on how to filter these tracks by difficulty, going from easiest to hardest for me:

World Tour: It's true that I did the FGFC without adjusting any lag, but after what I experienced with Metallica and Van Halen, this becomes a lot more justifiable to get through. Sure, this one may have its fair share of tough songs to go through like "Good God", "Never Too Late" and "One Way or Another", but the fact that you only need at least a 'solid' to pass means that it should be a very accessible game to FC.

Smash Hits: The first game that I succeeded with a FGFC on. Whether one would find it easier than WT would depend on how familiar you are with the songs mostly, and even at that there are very few songs that are remotely tricky. I guess it depends on how you see the songs.

GH Van Halen: I put it here because while there are quite a few doozies to get your way through ("Semi Charmed Life", "I'm the One", "Ice Cream Man", etc), most of the songs are short - not one of them is any longer than 6 and a half minutes in length, which makes them easier to break down and learn. True, David Lee Roth can do some crazy vocal parts, but they're nothing in comparison to James Hetfield's, which I'd go onto in a minute.

Guitar Hero 5: While some of the songs can be seen as a little more unforgiving in comparison to the previous two titles mentioned, this one has an amount of songs that account for very rare FCs in certain occasions. Songs like "Superstition" and "Saturday Night's Alright" are amongst the songs that I've only FC'd once and couldn't do so again, but on the other hand there's no artificially bad charts for the most part which means that those with the drive and passion can at least be able to try for a FGFC.

GH Metallica: A huge majority of the songs are long, and even the shortest in the game, "Stone Cold Crazy", is one of few songs that I have had to resort to little annunciation when attempting to FC it. The songs there are also a lot more challenging to learn in comparison to Van Halen, which makes a good amount of them chokesville unless you know what you're doing. As for the actual Metallica songs, some may end up being simple to pull off at the beginning, but look at the high spectrum of stuff - "Hit the Lights", "Fight Fire With Fire", "Mercyful Fate" and the like are examples of a set of songs that are very tricky to learn, and even lower tier songs like "Enter Sandman" and "No Leaf Clover" take time to learn the variations too.

But in spite of this...

Band Hero: THIS is what I see as the most difficult vox game out there at the moment. The margin for error is extremely tight for a good number of the songs on the setlist, and even at that most of them have had more sharp/flat/natural shifts than some of the songs posed through VH and Metallica. Another weird thing though is that this was the game that I knew the highest amount of songs already by being familiar with around 30 of them in total, but that doesn't mean jack if there's something in the chart that makes it hard to pull off in their entirety ("Wannabe" and "Rock Star" in particular are dead ringers here). So I can say that this was brutality at its highest for vox IMO, even though it would clash with others' opinions here.

And there we go - my 2 cents/pence on the games' difficulties

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
tidus  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeryMetalChewie wrote:
I know that the different PS2 scoring system affects things somewhat (making some easier and some harder to 5*), but I would have to say that GH5 is WAY harder than Metallica.
Other than Black River and Evil I didn't find anything challenging in Metallica at all, whereas I am still struggling with 2 GH5 songs even having played them repeatedly (Rock Show and Brianstorm) and there were at least 3 others that really demanded some work to 5* them.

I think some people's judgment may be clouded by the number of easy songs there are on disc, but I would probably say
WT<M<5
(I'll add in BH and VH once I've got them)

"Evil" is considered one of the easiest songs in GH:M, to both 5* or FC. If you find an octave you feel that you comforted at, you'll see why.

Also, I've been reviewing GH5 on PS2. Tighter than GHSH on PS2? Definitely. But it's still A LOT more lenient than on the next-gen counterparts. The pitch detection reminds me from GHM/GHVH (on PS2 too), but with a comet jumping a bit less, from what I could see on some lines where I didn't use falsetto (the way I can use a clean voice without rasp, and the method to reduce the crazy comet jumps on the PS2 engine).

Anyway, I FC'd most of the monsters, like Superstition, Sympathy for the Devil, Brianstorm, Fame and The Rock Show in few tries, some were even 1st try. And I sucked at these songs on 360. It's all clear now, I guess. I still have to get BH for the PS2, but this is the veredict for the games on this console, going from easiest to hardest.

World Tour - The reason is pretty much simpleton, like on the other platforms. Despite there's One Way or Another, L'Via L'Viaquez Never Too Late, Good God, etc., etc., the fact that you can even get a yellow flash to keep combo makes this the most accessible game to FGFC. And on a side note, it is (and will probably be for a long time) the only FGFC I got on 360.

Smash Hits - Depending on the familiarity with the songs (mostly thanks to playing the pre-WT GH's), this can be even easier than WT. But let's disregard this, as familiarity can vary from player to player. Hardly any tricky song here even though you need Excellents now to keep combo, it's a smooth sailing FGFC on the last-gen.

Van Halen - I could count the harder songs with the fingers of one of my hands. Ice Cream Man, Semi-Charmed Life, I'm the One...what else? o_O Okay, there's some tricky stuff scattered through the setlist thanks to David Lee Roth's crazy singing, but in comparison to Metallica, this spinoff is smooth-sailing, because there are almost no long songs to deal with, and the aforementioned smaller ammount of harder songs to execute.

5 - Yes sir, even on PS2, I'm putting it here, below Metallica. Not only there's a bit more stability on the comet, but the harder songs, despite in a greater quantity, are easier to execute.

Metallica - I can say this is the game with more frustrating moments, albeit the best setlist IMO. Long songs like the Mercyful Fate Medley or songs with long instrumental intros like Am I Evil? and many Metallica songs are a pain to try an FC on. Without mentioning Stone Cold Crazy, Fight Fire With Fire, Turn the Page, The Boys Are Back in Town and other really hard songs that I may let slip away, they still aren't songs to be taken lightly.

Band Hero - I may have not at least acquired it, but, regardless of leniency, those charts are a pain to pull something big off, and the comet response for fast pitches on the PS2 engine seems to be faulty, so lots of headache can be expected here.

Well, these are my 2 cents, my opinion about the vocal difficulty on the PS2 versions. That's all.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
arvain  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't start a wall of text, cause i pretty much agree already with "what makes the games hard or not" .... There's a major difference for me though :
SH<WT<VH<gh5<ghM<BH (i don't have vh and ghm but i still agree)

Why SH<WT ? Less songs, most of which you already know from other games. Maybe it's because i started with WT and i didn't know ANY songs (yes, even the ones on RB2 cause i got both games at the same time), so i had to stat from scratch (and because my laggy headset was sortof an handicap ). I still think that the engine on SH giving you a little more margin to stay on the blue pitch lines makes things easier than the yellow flashes
Poirot2  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is :

WT < SH < 5 < VH < M < BH

I find WT easy, I FC'd some tough songs (Beat It, Crazy Train), then SH has a lot of "easy" songs but some tough too. I absolutely don't understand GH5's timing =/ David Lee Roth ' singing is INSANE but GHM has a lot of really tough songs. Then comes BH with all the hard pop songs and the GH5's timing ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not out of line for me to give my opinion at this point...not gonna make a wall of text but here:

Smash Hits < World Tour < Van Halen < Metallica < GH5 < Band Hero

Pretty much the same as werelord's opinion. A few things to address:

-First up, Smash Hits vs. World Tour. I juggled between these two a lot. Through my experience, World Tour has more songs that can be edgy to learn. And while Smash Hits has a few songs like Cherry Pie, Barracuda and Killer Queen, that swallow anything in WT whole, most of the songs are easier to pick up and get the hang of.

-Then, more importantly, Metallica vs. GH5. Trust me, i'm not being crazy on this one. First off, more songs on the listing. Secondly, the engine. As B-Fuzz and werelord said, a major problem is that the arrow following the pitch lines is harder to see. I mean, in Metallica and Van Halen, you were at least able to get a better view of your slip-ups, making it easier to see how to fix them. Not so much in GH5/BH, and that makes the songs harder for me to learn. I'm not saying Metallica isn't hard-it does have a lot of monsters, don't get me wrong. Arguably, no song in GH5 is a harder FC on 360 than Stone Cold Crazy and maybe The Boys are Back in Town, but i'll take FFWF, Albatross, Mercyful Fate and the like over GH5's "S" songs and trying to learn them with what i'm given.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: