Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
ZZ Top Guitar!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: ZZ Top Guitar!! Reply with quote

Behold my latest creation. It's a guitar hero version of ZZ Top's furry guitar made famous in the "Legs" video. These ridiculous guitars were covered in lambs wool after one of the guys drunkenly requested it to his guitar manager. The best part about them is that they wear them with a spin strap that they can spin the guitars around in a circle in front of them.
See the classic video here: minutes 1:48 and 3:04

And here's my version. It's not the same guitar model and I haven't added the headstock fur, but here it is.

The original belt didn't have enough support so when I spin it, it got caught on my massive junk and I needed to add a thicker backing to it so it can freely spin.
The new spinner was made out of a BMW spinning belt buckle from Spencers Gifts (I filed off all the belt attachments), a belt also from spencers, a hand cut piece of broken office chair backing complete with foam padding and leather, some stiff cardboard, gorilla glue black tape and various hardware. It currently attaches to the guitar via velcro which stays firmly stickied to both halves.
I tested it out today and was able to get 5 full revolutions!!

Other than just being ridiculously cool, the spinner belt also has two functional aspects related to Guitar Hero. When I spin it full circle, it rocks out when my SP meter is full!! I can also switch from playing righty to lefty mid song to taunt my opponent.

And it's really soft and fuzzy too!!
I hope you all get as much of a kick out of this as I do! My fiance just laughs and shakes her head. She says its sexy, but I know she really just thinks I'm crazy.

Let me what you guys think.

Last edited by BriGuy on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:26 am; edited 8 times in total
katamakel  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the coolest guitar mod so far!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's totally awesome.
How long did it take you to make that?
BreakManX  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_O

Wow.

I never thought of that.

You win all if every.
eisenzahn  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Neil Cumpston would say: you give my eyeballs boners. You must have a dick made of three machine guns!

I've been thinking of modding my hammer, but man, this is so much more ambitious than the tiddly wink crap I've been thinking of. I salute you.
Zillatron  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guitar FTW

P.S I got blue
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ActAppalled16
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after 3 excruciating weeks waiting favorable painting weather (freezing temperatures and a terribly rainy nor'easter hitting the Northeast) I was finally able to paint the neck and I am one step closer to completing this beauty. I still need to perfect the spin belt and maybe add the fuzz on the head of the guitar.

I sanded down the front neck piece and wiped with 91% rubbing alcohol. I taped off the bottom of the neck and the button holes. I layed down 3 layers of Krylon Fusion white, waited overnight, used painters tape to mask off the yellow Z which was painted with Krylon Yellow, waited 2 hours, masked off and painted the black Z, waited 2 hours. I then had to clean up some edges with an exacto knife (thank god I did 3 layers of white) I was able to scrape off just enough to get the top yellow/black off and leave a clean white edge. I detailed the frets and tuning knobs with a silver leafing pen (Krylon too), let dry for an hour and laid down 2 coats of Krylon (this isn't a commercial for them I swear) Crystal Clear acrilic. I gave the button holes a once over with the exacto to ensure they didn't stick at all and reassembled. It plays great and believe it or not, the fur doesn't really get in the way at all. I can't wait to spin it around my crotch to rock out!

And the original for comparison:

Last edited by BriGuy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
JayHL  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're blowing my mind, man.

I just hope that thing doesn't shed.
Cliff  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomfoolery and lambskin aside, that is a beautiful paint job. Very clear cut and perfect.
ViperBravo  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Just wondering? Reply with quote

I am just wondering, in thetop pic, the guitar looks like its a Gibson explorer. Is it just my eyes or is it? If so, i might mod my 360 guitar for the same project.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just wondering? Reply with quote

ViperBravo wrote:
I am just wondering, in thetop pic, the guitar looks like its a Gibson explorer. Is it just my eyes or is it? If so, i might mod my 360 guitar for the same project.

It's actually a Dean guitar I'm not sure if they call it an explorer or not, but the gibson explorer (or at least the 360 version of one) is certainly closer to the original design than the RO wireless whatever the hell it is design. Here is a pic of the same guitar sans fur and a link to the Dean page where I found the info. As you can see, the only real difference is the headstock. The original Dean is symmetrical which makes the head fuzzies easier to place than on a non-symetrical head like ours which I'm still trying to figure out if and how I would do that. If you decide to go for it, let me know and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck! I'd love to see an explorer version.

http://www.deanguitars.com/zztop.php

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha; wow! Can't believe I never saw the finished version! Teh awesomeness, BriGuy. Well done; how's it work with the spinning-ness? Have you given it a test drive?

At the rate I post, I'll attain Freebird status by the year 2014.
sluggo  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 17 flavors of awesomeness. Nice job!

So how does the spinning straplock work? Do you have any pics showing the back of the guitar?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally finished the spinner belt and it is sweet. I tested it out today and was able to get 5 full revolutions!! I've also been practicing switching back and forth between righty and lefty and experimenting when the best time is to pull the spinning rock out during "Sharp Dressed Man"
The spinning rock out is the greatest thing in the world btw. It finally feels like there's a reason why all my notes are turning blue and the crowd is cheering. Just tilting the guitar up just isn't the same anymore. It's almost the guitar was designed to be spun around to rock out.

The spinner was made out of a BMW spinning belt buckle from spencers (I filed off all the belt attachments), a belt also from spencers, a hand cut piece of broken office chair backing complete with foam padding and leather, some stiff cardboard, gorilla glue black tape and various hardware. It currently attaches to the guitar via velcro which stays firmly stickied to both halves, but the velcro connection tears a bit when I really get into it. (I'll have to work on that) But this setup should be good enough to film the video which is upcoming, but I want to do it right so it will take a while to plan it all out and practice and stuff.
I hope you all get as much of a kick out of this as I do! My fiance just laughs and shakes her head. She says its sexy, but I know she really just thinks I'm crazy.

Last edited by BriGuy on Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod fucking owns! I'd love to see a video of it when its all done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: