ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Can't pass Expert(need help from the vocalists)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeDeadlights  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Can't pass Expert(need help from the vocalists) Reply with quote

I really want to be able to sing in the game, but I lack the ability. Two years back my cousin got Rock Band(Original) for the Xbox 360, since he only had the Strat for the 360, I had the option of playing drums or vocals. So I decided to play vocals, we load up the first song(In bloom? not sure) and I was on Easy; I had prior knowledge of the song so I thought(Hey this can't be too hard on easy), but failed very quickly. After a few more tries, we decided to load up the tutorial(I must be doing something wrong, this can't be that hard on easy)and matching the pitch for the tutorial was even quite hard. Eventually I could play, I beat a lot of songs on Easy(while he was on Expert), but I needed to move up so we could get more fans. So I move up to Medium with some confidence and pass songs fairly easily(but with like 60-70%s) and then we get to, I believe it was Learn to Fly. Ultimate fail.

To sum it up, by the end of my visit to Indiana(where my cousin lives) we were playing Train Kept a Rollin', him guitar, me drums(I gave up). To link this to the present, I want to play Vocals again and on GHWT. I'm on Expert, and after numerous tries I can't get past 80% on Feel the Pain. (I even loaded up GHM, knowing most of the Metallica tunes by heart, and failing extremely quickly(darn it).

So really what I want to know is: how do people who are terrible at singing beat these games on Expert?(any maybe one day FC?)I really love singing, and I really love the format of the GH vocals over RB's, but I can't really progress.

Help is deeply appreciated.

Edit: I could upload audio of me singing to YouTube, if you think it would help.
kire  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem now is on knowing the songs, cause you might have been singing along to the wrong notes, also GH vox are stricter than RB's

so pickup a sng you never knew a start learning it by playing it on other instruments then singing, also try songs like war ensemble that have almost all talkies and very few pitches, so you get a bit used tothe engine

Pieman on IRC wrote:
21:43 JustPieman2 Okay so
21:44 JustPieman2 Dave Mustaine walked into a bakery
21:44 JustPieman2 There was a Tornado of Rolls!
theeDeadlights  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, there are definitely some songs I haven't heard that I could learn.
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, song familiarity is also an issue with me with the new games I bought, and I quickly learnt them by playing them on other instruments first as Kire suggested.

As for adapting to an engine, I think you're better off starting off with songs that are both A - something you already know, and B - should be easy enough to sing anyway. For the record, the first GH song I ever sung was "Assassin" on medium - the notes there are mainly extremely long and easy to correct yourself if you know where you're going wrong. Plus I liked Muse, or at least their earlier stuff

Another concern may also be microphone lag, which was seen as a problematic point during the World Tour era. I'm assuming that you're on an X360 so I'm sure that the way that I correct lag on the Wii may not apply to you either, but there have been mentions of lag correction floating around Youtube so if all else fails you can try something like that.

Still, this is an extraordinary case of seeing someone struggle to adapt to vocals, even the Rock Band variety. If you're still up for hosting your struggles on Youtube, then perhaps we can be able to help you further

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
theeDeadlights  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of me playing Feel the Pain, the audio is a bit distorted because my Mic's volume was up too high. I'm uploading another video right now with me failing four songs(that I know pretty well I suppose), audio's a bit better. I didn't edit these or anything, so... yeah. Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UStL2A6EZrY - Feel the Pain (Literally)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbfa4Q_ctvE - Multiple Song Fail

These are bad, so I hope you are prepared.
VeryMetalChewie  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera's pretty far from the screen so its not easy to see how you're doing, and the TV's really quiet on these vids too, but I'll try and offer some tips:

Start singing early, like a bar early or more (if you've got the breath to manage) - it'll sound weird and is counter-intuitive but you can see the note coming and tune yourself into it visually before it even starts to play.
If you have quite a deep voice, try singing in a falsetto - the GH mic seems to pick up the pitches better in a higher octave. There are some songs I struggle to pass in my natural voice, but can FC if I impersonate Mickey Mouse.
Start with songs that have lots of talkies, to get a feel for it, and songs with lots of long notes (or long phrases on the same note) to practice changing the pitch of your voice to match what's being asked.

Good luck!
theeDeadlights  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, also if you can't see the screen very well(Sorry I'm using my Laptop's video camera... all I really I have..), try using 720p HD... You might be able to see the screen better. Anyway thanks I've actually passed a few songs, but I have to sing very dully and robotic... I guess with practice maybe I can at least pass songs with enthusiasm.
tidus  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theeDeadlights wrote:
Thanks for the replies, also if you can't see the screen very well(Sorry I'm using my Laptop's video camera... all I really I have..), try using 720p HD... You might be able to see the screen better. Anyway thanks I've actually passed a few songs, but I have to sing very dully and robotic... I guess with practice maybe I can at least pass songs with enthusiasm.

If you can pass a song by just catching the pitches and not really singing, you can totally pass a song by singing it too. If you know the pitches and the song's lyrics, then there's nothing that can stop you. Just don't take too much freedom. You may be probably messing up the pitch when you're ennounciating or something.

Regarding the mic, assuming you're on 360, you won't have problem on a lower octave, and there's no lag like on Wii at all. You won't need to sing earlier, you won't need to go through the absolute humiliation of singing with a girl's voice on a baritone song (like Feel the Pain itself), etc.

Also, the most important: practice!

Good luck!

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
Olinea  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try playing a song on different instruments so you can get a feel for the timing. I definitely got to know songs better by playing them on Guitar than I did when I looked them up and listened to them nonstop. After 2-3 plays through, you hardly notice the music at all and it won't help reinforce. If you go through it on Guitar, where you concentrate on the music at all times, you'll hear the vocals better.

There's also a reference thread for people struggling with certain songs. Hopefully it'll get updated frequently as more and more people say "Oh, I know this song 12345, I could make a video of it to show people what tones need help." It really does work. I was struggling at 80-90% in L.A. when WhYYZ made a video to help me. 100%'ed the song not an hour after watching the video.
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olinea wrote:

There's also a reference thread for people struggling with certain songs. Hopefully it'll get updated frequently as more and more people say "Oh, I know this song 12345, I could make a video of it to show people what tones need help." It really does work. I was struggling at 80-90% in L.A. when WhYYZ made a video to help me. 100%'ed the song not an hour after watching the video.

It does work!
I would have never FC'd So Lonely without Dr00bles his vid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: