ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
American Attitudes towards Atheism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LlamaYip  





Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 3077
Location: Vanderbilt University

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I really hate double posting in any situation (EDIT: Since it's taken me so long to write this, it isn't a double post haha), but I've been looking through the last three pages of this thread and a lot of it has been about the regulations in the Old Testament and the rules that seem completely illogically irreverent, unethical and immoral. I wrote this post (not word for word but a post of similar length and topic) about two months ago for this thread, but I decided not to post it because I felt that I didn't make my point very well. I also realize that I said I'm not going to get back on the argument about scripture, but I figure that if I don't post this now, I'll never get a good chance to post it.

Also, this post seems more of a lesson/teaching rather than an argument, but I think it applies fairly well.

God's relationship with humanity is defined by covenants. Human have always had some sort of covenant with God, although the elements of his covenants have changed over time. The major covenant God makes in the old Testament is a promise with the Israelites, a promise for land, descendants and protection. This covenant is first directly presented to the faithful and obedient Abraham in Genesis 12:1-3, although the famous scenes were Abraham is told his descendants will be numerous occur later in the book, Chapters 13 and 18, I think. Here begins the continuous covenant which God has with his people throughout the rest of the Old Testament. The basic backbone of the covenant-land, descendants and protection-is the same all the way up to the book of Joshua (I'll get there in a bit). Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (the Patriarchs) all have visions in which God renews this promise; but what makes the covenant a covenant is the promise on the people's behalf to remain faithful to God's word and promises.

When Moses is called upon on Mount Horeb by God through the bush which is on fire yet does not burn, Moses is called to help fulfill this promise that God made to his ancestors by leading the Israelites out of the Egyptian activity. Moses is skeptical of his ability to do so (because of his lack of speech skills and unsureness of how to convince the people that God truly is working with Moses), but God assures Moses that as long has his faith remains steadfast and obeys what he is told, he will be able to do this. Moses does indeed lead the Israelites out of captivity; however, the Israelites, who had done labor for their entire lives, had a slavish (as in, slave-ish) mentality and found it difficult to remain in line with Moses and Aaron leading their way. God called Moses up to Mount Sinai (Horeb = Sinai, btw) and gave Moses 613 commandments to give to the Israelites, headed by the Ten Commandments which are so famously revered in Christian faith (I'll get to why, later). The Covenant that God offered to the Israelites was this same promise that he had given the Patriarchs, and they would be blessed if they followed the laws of God; but if they were unable to abide, they would continue to wander the desert and they would be cursed. This first generation under the leadership of Moses failed the keep the covenant, and wandered in the desert for forty years.

The books of Deuteronomy, Leviticus and Numbers lie in between Exodus and Joshua. Numbers is more of a history book, tracking the progress (or lack thereof) of the Israelites as they wander for forty years. Deuteronomy and Leviticus are the two most questioned and attacked books in the Bible because they list out countless regulations and laws for living according to God's word. Leviticus is big on priestly rituals and practices, and the entire first part of the book (first 9 chapters?) gives specific information on sacrifices, worship, praise, etc. and so forth. The rest of the book is very restrictive in terms of the laws they give; dietary and sexual bans are many things. Punishments for blasphemy and disobedience of the law are given. Deuteronomy literally means "Second Giving of the Law", and is a collection of a handful of sermons that Moses gives to the people. These laws are very much similar to what had already been given in the four books preceding it. All of these laws are meant to be followed by the Israelites, and in turn the promise God made to them would be fulfilled... however, as the book of Numbers documents, they had a bit of trouble with this. They continued to wander for forty years in the desert until...

...A fellow named Joshua comes around. Moses dies and Joshua, his aide, is put at the head of leading the Israelite nation. A new generation has come around at this time; the people have lost their slavish mentality and are weary and needing of a home. These people obey the word of God and as a result, they cross the Jordan River into Canaan, and they defeat many nations occupying the land already with God's help. At that point, God has fulfilled the promise that he made to the Israelites: This new generation (descendants) has crossed the Jordan River (land) and triumphed over the occupying peoples of the Holy Land (protection), and the Israelites earned this blessed by adhering to the laws of the LORD. However, much of the rest of the Old Testament is about Israel's difficulty keeping the covenant. The Cycle of Apostasy is revisited in many books of the Old Testament, and curses befall the Israelites as they have problems keeping the covenant given to them by God.

Now, here's the transition that gets a little fuzzy with people.

Atheists will attack Christians for ignoring the Old Testament because there are undesirable passages in the books there, and if we lived our lives/preached the words of what was written there, society would scrutinize those who did so. But I say, with very clear diction and convinced authority: THERE IS A REASON THAT WHAT JESUS SAYS TRUMPS WHAT IS SAID IN THE OLD TESTAMENT. As I said before, the way God's relationship with humanity exists is through his saving covenants. Jesus, the physical manifestation of God's glory, love and grace, is the ultimate covenant which God provided to all humanity. In this covenant, God extends forgiveness to all peoples of the earth, so as long as they live his word; the teachings of Jesus Christ. What does Jesus teach? Compassion and understanding for one another, mercy and forgiveness towards those on Earth, and always living your life for God are main components of his teachings. These teachings and rules are part of the covenant and apply to us, and the ones that we should take very seriously when living. All of the dietary restrictions that Leviticus gives? That is the Old Covenant. Peter actually has a vision that frees followers of Christ from Kosher standards. There are parts of the Old Covenant which Jesus continues to preach; most prominently being the Ten Commandments and the Great Commandment. Those Commandments' reiterations throughout God's relationship with humans accentuate their importance for salvation.

Now, despite those regulations being in the Old Testament and the Old Covenant for the Israelites, they shouldn't be ignored; we need to keep in mind that those are the regulations which God himself gave to the Israelites. These are also all still bound into the Bible, which is as holy of a book as there is.

Reading that over, my explanation was so incoherent that if anyone wants me to explain a certain bit, I'll try my best.

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
Seems you missed my post the other day. Why should you answer us? Because your god tells you to. Unless, of course, this is yet another verse that's taken out of context. So please, enlighten us.
That passage you gave is also one of my favorites, too. Earnestly, it angers me a bit when Christians cannot support any of their beliefs, and give reasons why they believe a certain thing other than simplistic, automatic responses like "The Bible says so," or "My Priests says so." I remember watching one clip of Bill Maher (who I don't really like haha) and Bill O'Reilly (who I like even less), where they start to get into a religious debate about Scripture. O'Reilly was completely destroyed by Maher, and it wasn't because Maher's arguments were intricately and brilliantly presented or formed at all; O'Reilly just didn't have a freaking clue about what he was talking about, and it was embarrassing. Alas, there's not really much I can do about it.

About stopping responding to arguments, however, temperance is a very important virtue, and both God and I know very well that the amount of time that I've spent on writing posts like this is not proportional to the worth/value of these posts, or the presentation of these arguments, since I suspect that most everyone who reads them are unwavering. I do feel, however, that a more universal understanding brings about... um... understanding. Haha.

About certain things being out of context or not... you could have two reponses that, first of which being that since it's the inspired word of God, everything really is good although context alters the surface image of certain things. The other response being: there are plenty of good things in the Bible that (one could argue) are out of context or untrue. The Tower of Babel and the book of Jonah are two iconic and very good stories in the Old Testament, but... yknow.

Shikka wrote:
Ah I'm sorry I should have been more clear. It was really late at night and I was tired. Anyway, that part was a follow up to the last paragraph about it being out of context. Christians always tell me that I do not understand and need to do more research. The point I was trying to make is that I feel that I should not have to do more research on a book supposedly inspired by god to understand it. The book should be able to hold its own. If this is the best God can do, he/she/it is incompetent at best.
Ahh, I see. Well despite it being divinely inspired, it's still all written by humans, and if simplicity were what they were aiming for, then the Bible would be sort of like one of those Illustrated Children's Bibles you see... I know that that's not really the kind of understanding you're talking about though haha. Critically thinking Christians should be able to explain things in the Bible themselves anyways.

People wrote:
Stuff about Jesus condoning Slavery
I find it pretty interesting that this keeps coming up... I talked about this a bit a little while ago, but it's coming up again. There are a couple of answers on Yahoo Answers that I think cover some pretty good ground; the second and third answers under "Other Answers" are kinda good answers, a few other ones are decent but are snarky in tone and and therefore, I take a dislikening to them. The voted best answer just sort of explains a very general approach of how it's viewed by many people, and it's already been discussed a lot here.
PiemanLK wrote:
Because you're not excused from having to back up your argument.

PiemanLK wrote:
Oh okay so you're quitting.
Call me what you may, but it's responses like these that make me want to stop posting. I think we're all above the level of childish taunting.
_________________
My Youtube | My Accomplishments | Total Hard FCs: 722/725 | My Stream | GenericName
Latest Hard FC: Savior | GH1: 47/47 GH2: 62/64 GH80S: 30/30 GH3: 69/70 GHA: 41/41 GHWT: 86/86 GHM: 49/49 GHSH: 48/48 GH5: 85/85 GHVH: 47/47 BH: 65/65 GHWOR: 93/93

thecaptainof wrote:
Never thought I'd say this about a post in defence of religion, but... wow. Straight up, best thing I've seen posted on Scorehero in as long as I can remember.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
Josseppe95  





Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Posts: 1045
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip, you really deserve a fucking award for posting that. I'm not even Christian...but really, something like THAT is what most of the people arguing against ferretgod have been looking for, and you really hit the nail on the head. Kudos.
_________________
thecolonel wrote:
Why dont the leaders just get together, get stoned and watch 2001: A Space Odyssey.
then there would be no war.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
LlamaYip  





Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 3077
Location: Vanderbilt University

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josseppe95 wrote:
LlamaYip, you really deserve a fucking award for posting that. I'm not even Christian...but really, something like THAT is what most of the people arguing against ferretgod have been looking for, and you really hit the nail on the head. Kudos.
As I said before, all I'm working with is what I've taught myself and a semester of High School Sophomore Year Scripture class (which gets SOOO slowed down because all our teachers wants to talk about is frickin gay marriage and premarital sex <_<, it gets annoying at times), so a lot of this needs cleaning up, but haha thanks for the compliment, it means a lot coming from someone who doesn't side with me.

Also, I edited that post and added a thing about slavery.
_________________
My Youtube | My Accomplishments | Total Hard FCs: 722/725 | My Stream | GenericName
Latest Hard FC: Savior | GH1: 47/47 GH2: 62/64 GH80S: 30/30 GH3: 69/70 GHA: 41/41 GHWT: 86/86 GHM: 49/49 GHSH: 48/48 GH5: 85/85 GHVH: 47/47 BH: 65/65 GHWOR: 93/93

thecaptainof wrote:
Never thought I'd say this about a post in defence of religion, but... wow. Straight up, best thing I've seen posted on Scorehero in as long as I can remember.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
PiemanLK  





Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 4643
Location: anime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip wrote:
Call me what you may, but it's responses like these that make me want to stop posting. I think we're all above the level of childish taunting.


It's not like I'm tautning anyone, I'm just saying that just because you think people aren't trying (or not giving you the answer that you like) that's not a reason to not research your side of the argument.
_________________
Otend wrote:
I'd come up with a long post, but Pieman said what we are all thinking, as usual.
youhas wrote:
EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
thecaptainof  





Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 7571
Location: \(_o)/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip wrote:
massive wall o' words


Never thought I'd say this about a post in defence of religion, but... wow. Straight up, best thing I've seen posted on Scorehero in as long as I can remember.
_________________


yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message
Fhdra  





Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 525

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip, I wish I had the patience to write down everything you did...

I have it in my head, and it makes sense to me, but I can never transpose into writing what you just said before :P
_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shikka  





Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 402

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahh, I see. Well despite it being divinely inspired, it's still all written by humans


You see, this is one of the major reasons I don't really believe in the bible. How am I supposed to believe this was god-inspired when humans wrote it? Am I just supposed to take their word for it? That they didn't just make it all up or at least extremely exaggerate parts of it for whatever reason? The rest of the post was well thought out. It still doesn't make sense but it was well thought out.

Anyway, I'm currently reading the bible right now. I'm more of an atheist now than when I started and I'm only 311 pages in. It's taking a while because it is a very boring book. I personally believe that Christians are reading a very different book than I am. Already in no particular order, there's a story about god testing Abe by telling him to kill his son but later telling Abe he was just kidding, God killing children because they had the wrong parents, a burning bush, people living unnatural life spans (Lamech lived 595 years for example), God punishing all of humanity for what 2 people did despite the fact he created the opportunity for them to do it, mass genocide by God, destroying cities, and so much more. I haven't even gotten to the part with God sending bears to maul youths for calling a prophet bald, a star leading 3 people to the Messiah, a virgin birth, God sending himself as a blood sacrifice so he can forgive everyone, and a man rising from the grave.

I think you can understand why I have such a hard time buying this religion.
_________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Mailoc PSN Name: Shikka
voidedalive2x  





Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 7550
Location: jefferson city, MO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shikka wrote:
You see, this is one of the major reasons I don't really believe in the bible. How am I supposed to believe this was god-inspired when humans wrote it? Am I just supposed to take their word for it? That they didn't just make it all up or at least extremely exaggerate parts of it for whatever reason? The rest of the post was well thought out. It still doesn't make sense but it was well thought out.

So you automatically disregard it because of a human middleman (or middlemen)?

Shikka wrote:
Anyway, I'm currently reading the bible right now. I'm more of an atheist now than when I started and I'm only 311 pages in. It's taking a while because it is a very boring book.

I'd agree on that point, but that's just because Joshua-2 Chronicles is the main part of the book that I like.

Shikka wrote:
I personally believe that Christians are reading a very different book than I am. Already in no particular order, there's a story about god testing Abe by telling him to kill his son but later telling Abe he was just kidding,

It never said he was "just kidding". It was a supreme test of faith to see if Abraham (still called Abram at the time, I think) would carry out what was necessecary, even if it meant killing his own son. Would I agree that it seems extreme? I can certainly see that. However, if Abraham was going to fall away at such a sacrifice as this, how could God trust him not to fall away at an even greater test?

Shikka wrote:
God killing children because they had the wrong parents,

Remind me where this part is again.

Shikka wrote:
a burning bush, people living unnatural life spans (Lamech lived 595 years for example),

You find these things odd?

Shikka wrote:
God punishing all of humanity for what 2 people did despite the fact he created the opportunity for them to do it,

He explicittly told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit, just like we're often told by parents not to touch certain objects or go certain places. If we do what we are asked, we are rewarded, as A&E certainly would have. If we do not, punishment surely follows.

And if A&E created the first documented case of sin by eating the fruit, it essentially planted a seed of sin in their descendants, destroying the harmony they had with God, and that harmony would not be regained until Jesus' second coming.

Shikka wrote:
mass genocide by God,

are we in Exodus now? Just checking.

Shikka wrote:
destroying cities,

And you don't think Sodom and Gomorrah deserved it?

Shikka wrote:
a star leading 3 people to the Messiah,

If you take it literally, then it's going to seem proposterous (SP?). However, think of it as the Northern star acting as a guide towards the area, like sailors use the stars at night. It makes more sense that way.

Shikka wrote:
a virgin birth,

Entirely possible, even today. Just aim towards the woman's vagina and let loose. The circumstances in the Bible, I can understand you being skeptical about, but the actual thing itself isn't that hard to understand, if far harder to acheive than insemination through intercourse.

Shikka wrote:
God sending himself as a blood sacrifice so he can forgive everyone, and a man rising from the grave.

Jesus is essentially God himself, sent down to act as a intermediary to allow us to bypass the original sin that kept us (us humans and God) apart for so long and allow that harmony that existed in the first couple of chapters in Genesis to be reborn. Jesus is, in essence, the final burnt offering for humankind. His ressurection is simply proof that this is going to happen, and his second coming will again reaffirm this.

(I bet llama could argue this better when he gets the chance, though...)

Shikka wrote:
I think you can understand why I have such a hard time buying this religion.

Some of those are you taking things way too literally. Like Llama said, Jonah may be one of the most iconic books, but...yeah...
_________________

THIS DOES NOT LEAVE MY SIG UNTIL LLAMAYIP FCS MISIRLOU ON GH2 OR TTFAF IN GH3!!
GH accomps: GHMMDrums FGFC, MOMBFGFC
RB accomps: 1 BILLION PS3 POINTS! 1st w/1B on 2 consoles!
Old Youtube, New Youtube|
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Yewb  





Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 3020
Location: Plymouth, UK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:


Shikka wrote:
people living unnatural life spans (Lamech lived 595 years for example),

You find these things odd?


Uh, yeah. Pretty much.
_________________
expertwin wrote:
ShadoWolf wrote:
expertwin wrote:
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Fhdra  





Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 525

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shikka wrote:

You see, this is one of the major reasons I don't really believe in the bible. How am I supposed to believe this was god-inspired when humans wrote it? Am I just supposed to take their word for it? That they didn't just make it all up or at least extremely exaggerate parts of it for whatever reason?

You realize historically the Bible was written over a course of hundreds of years by hundreds of different people's accounts? Now if it were made up, that would be the most complicated conspiracy ever, and something impossible at that time. Most of the writers of the different books had no relation at all with any of the other writers, since it took nearly a millennium to write the Bible and the authors spanned from Egypt to Greece (that was far for the time).

I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that The Bible was written in order by a few dudes at the same time...
_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yewb  





Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 3020
Location: Plymouth, UK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should believe everything in it not despite the fact that it was written by hundreds of people who didn't know each other and didn't all even live in the same time period, but because of that fact?

No thanks.
_________________
expertwin wrote:
ShadoWolf wrote:
expertwin wrote:
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
PiemanLK  





Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 4643
Location: anime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
So you automatically disregard it because of a human middleman (or middlemen)?


Kind of, yeah. Because if we can't trust the people who wrote The Bible, who CAN we trust? I mean sure, we could trust God's word; if he actually ever talked to us.

voidedalive2x wrote:
It was a supreme test of faith to see if Abraham (still called Abram at the time, I think) would carry out what was necessecary, even if it meant killing his own son.


So basically it was just to test how big a dick God could be without Abraham rebelling?

voidedalive2x wrote:
However, if Abraham was going to fall away at such a sacrifice as this, how could God trust him not to fall away at an even greater test?


Who says there has to be a test in the first place? And what exactly could God want you to do that is both moral and at the same time harder than killing your own son that could possibly be worth doing?

voidedalive2x wrote:
You find these things odd?


Burning bushes that talk to people are typically regarded as hallucinations by the mentally ill. And no one lives to be 600 years old. Ever.

voidedalive2x wrote:
He explicittly told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit, just like we're often told by parents not to touch certain objects or go certain places. If we do what we are asked, we are rewarded, as A&E certainly would have. If we do not, punishment surely follows.


Why don't you just edit this part of your post to say "APPEAL TO AUTHORITY" in big, bold, red letters?

voidedalive2x wrote:
And if A&E created the first documented case of sin by eating the fruit, it essentially planted a seed of sin in their descendants, destroying the harmony they had with God, and that harmony would not be regained until Jesus' second coming.


So basically because one person committed a crime everyone else in the entire world forever is criminal even though they may not have done anything wrong themselves. And you see nothing illogical about this.

God sure can hold a grudge against two people for not eating an arbitrarily forbidden fruit.

voidedalive2x wrote:
And you don't think Sodom and Gomorrah deserved it?


For a little hedonism? No, I don't really.

voidedalive2x wrote:
If you take it literally,


If we're supposed to take everything in The Bible that you disagree with in a non-literal sense then I'd like to say that the passage about men not sleeping with other men is really about God telling us not to eat green apples.

voidedalive2x wrote:
then it's going to seem preposterous.


Is it not entirely possible that maybe parts of The Bible just ARE preposterous?

voidedalive2x wrote:
Entirely possible, even today. Just aim towards the woman's vagina and let loose.


I had no idea that semen could penetrate hymens.

voidedalive2x wrote:
Jesus is essentially God himself, sent down to act as a intermediary to allow us to bypass the original sin that kept us (us humans and God) apart for so long and allow that harmony that existed in the first couple of chapters in Genesis to be reborn.


Why doesn't God, uh, just forgive people for their sins? That's what anyone normal would do. I didn't nail my neighbor to a cross because my son stole a candy bar.

Fhdra wrote:
I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that The Bible was written in order by a few dudes at the same time...


That make me feel so much better that instead of working together and conspiring to write a book of falsehoods, a bunch of people just took the existing book and changed it as they saw fit over time to include falsehoods.

Count me relieved.
_________________
Otend wrote:
I'd come up with a long post, but Pieman said what we are all thinking, as usual.
youhas wrote:
EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.


Last edited by PiemanLK on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
voidedalive2x  





Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 7550
Location: jefferson city, MO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
So I should believe everything in it not despite the fact that it was written by hundreds of people who didn't know each other and didn't all even live in the same time period, but because of that fact?

No thanks.

Pretty sure that they "knew" each other in the sense that they know who wrote what (Moses wrote the Pentateuch, the prophets wrote their respective books, etc.).

Also, it's really a matter of perspective. We find living to 595 years odd because we live to like 120-140 at MOST. While, in their time, that would be like dying at 10-25 years old.
_________________

THIS DOES NOT LEAVE MY SIG UNTIL LLAMAYIP FCS MISIRLOU ON GH2 OR TTFAF IN GH3!!
GH accomps: GHMMDrums FGFC, MOMBFGFC
RB accomps: 1 BILLION PS3 POINTS! 1st w/1B on 2 consoles!
Old Youtube, New Youtube|
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Shikka  





Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 402

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
So you automatically disregard it because of a human middleman (or middlemen)?

No I disregard it because of everything else I mentioned. The fact that it was written by humans does not help the book at all.

voidedalive2x wrote:
It never said he was "just kidding". It was a supreme test of faith to see if Abraham (still called Abram at the time, I think) would carry out what was necessecary, even if it meant killing his own son. Would I agree that it seems extreme? I can certainly see that. However, if Abraham was going to fall away at such a sacrifice as this, how could God trust him not to fall away at an even greater test?

I believe this has been covered already earlier in the thread. First of all its a cruel thing to order someone to kill their child. Second, there's no need for the test since god is omniscient.

voidedalive2x wrote:
Remind me where this part is again.


I'm referring to the plague of the first borns

voidedalive2x wrote:
You find these things odd?

And you don't? Name a person outside the bible that lived 600 years.

voidedalive2x wrote:
He explicittly told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit, just like we're often told by parents not to touch certain objects or go certain places. If we do what we are asked, we are rewarded, as A&E certainly would have. If we do not, punishment surely follows.

And if A&E created the first documented case of sin by eating the fruit, it essentially planted a seed of sin in their descendants, destroying the harmony they had with God, and that harmony would not be regained until Jesus' second coming.


I'm just saying that I should not be punished by this almighty god for something my ancestors did. I could also bring up the fact that he didn't have to create the tree in the first place.

voidedalive2x wrote:
are we in Exodus now? Just checking.

The Great flood and Noah's ark yes.



voidedalive2x wrote:
And you don't think Sodom and Gomorrah deserved it?

Based on what I read, no. Especially since god was begged to spare the city if there was even an ounce of good in the city. But the angel decided they were all evil based on the actions of a small group of extremely horny men.

voidedalive2x wrote:
Jesus is essentially God himself, sent down to act as a intermediary to allow us to bypass the original sin that kept us (us humans and God) apart for so long and allow that harmony that existed in the first couple of chapters in Genesis to be reborn. Jesus is, in essence, the final burnt offering for humankind. His ressurection is simply proof that this is going to happen, and his second coming will again reaffirm this.


My argument to this is why does he have to essentially kill himself to forgive humans. Why can't he just wave his hand and forgive us without the use of a burned sacrifice. Hell why even use sacrifices in the first place. What the hell is god doing with all of them?

EDIT: damn, ninja'd
_________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Mailoc PSN Name: Shikka
Yewb  





Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 3020
Location: Plymouth, UK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:


Also, it's really a matter of perspective. We find living to 595 years odd because we live to like 120-140 at MOST. While, in their time, that would be like dying at 10-25 years old.


So back then, the basic laws of physical chemistry didn't apply, or they had DNA reinforced with titanium or something? Science wants to know how they pulled that shit. Seriously. If, thousands of years ago, people were living to be hundreds of years old, I want some of whatever they were taking to keep their DNA pristine.

Hey, maybe their metabolism was just slow as shit - do people hibernate 10 months a year in the Bible? That'd explain why the unequivocal, objective, incontrovertible word of the Lord took a thousand years for people to decide on, too!

Also, Pieman... semen can totes get past the hymen. Just saying.
_________________
expertwin wrote:
ShadoWolf wrote:
expertwin wrote:
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 39 of 43

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Copyright © 2006-2017 ScoreHero, LLC
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy


Powered by phpBB