ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
PS2 to Wii Adapter Information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeKnoop  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: PS2 to Wii Adapter Information Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've recently got a Wii and been trying to get any version of Guitar Hero up and running using my old favorite PS2 White Wireless guitar (Red Octane White Wireless Guitar Controller). I've tried several adapters and unfortunately have not found a sufficient solution. I'm providing this thread for future users who might try this, and because there exists almost no threads on the internet talking about these adapters.

I tried two different adapters to get this working.

First, I tried a PS2 to Gamecube adapter (here is an example of one), which plugged into the Wii's front GC port. As noted above, I was trying with a wireless guitar so all that I plugged in was the wireless receiving module. I turned on the guitar and console and the units "paired" correctly (ie, the red lights on both the guitar and receiver stopped flashing and became solid red). I launched Guitar Hero 3 and was unable to use the guitar, however, within the game. It looks like GH3 simply does not poll the GC ports in it's controller configurations and thus, you cannot use this adapter within this game. I did not try any Rock Band games. I was successfully able to use the wireless guitar through the PS2 to GC adapter in the Wii version of Frets on Fire , which verifies that the adapter does work at a hardware level, and simply does not work at the software level. I have high confidence you will receive the same results I did with a wired (as opposed to wireless) PS2 guitar.

Second, I tried a PS2 to Wii (Wiimote) adapter, this specific adapter. Essentially, the Wireless Receiver piece plugs into an adapter, which plugs into the bottom of your Wiimote. I had high hopes in this working, as the actual Wii guitar uses this same port as its interface. Unfortunately, I was unable to pair the wireless receiver with the guitar. Both lights simply remained flashing red and never turned solid. This was done with the same guitar/receiver as above so I know it's not a guitar/receiver issue. My theory is the controller does not provide enough current (because the Wiimote is operating only on 2 AA batteries, as opposed to a console which is plugged in) to the receiver to make a successful pairing; however, I have an alternative theory that the Wii isn't asking for input from the Wiimote extension PS2 adapter which is somehow preventing a successful pairing of receiver and guitar. If you subscribe to theory 1, then a wired PS2 guitar should work just fine with adapter. If you subscribe to theory 2, then a wired guitar would not work with this adapter. Lending evidence to theory 1 is the fact that the website where I bought the adapter claims compatibility with PS2 guitars (and even has a picture of a wired guitar hooked up). I attempted the "pairing" both at the Wii System Menu and in game in Guitar Hero 3.

Hopefully this helps someone out in the future. If you figure out a solution using a wireless guitar, or if you want to ask me a question about what I've tested, please drop a line in this thread. I am subscribing to the thread so I should receive updates even if this thread is months old and long forgotten.

If you took the time to read all of this, I'd love to hear feedback on how I might be able to get this to work out. Especially if you've heard of others doing the same thing.

One last thing, because I'm an inactive member here I did not find myself comfortable adding this information to the Scorehero Controller Compatibility Wiki though I do believe it should be added or referenced. If someone would be willing to add this, I would be appreciative.

-Mike
Tomahorn  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wii guitar is read as a "Classic Controller" to the wii, so unless there is a PS2 to classic controller adapter, I doubt you will get your guitar to work. This would be very useful, because I have like 4 ps2 guitars and 1 wii guitar.
abe49  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread. I've been wondering the same thing and looking at various adapters; haven't gotten one yet, but just saw this thread elsewhere that mentions one of the adapters as being compatible (look for a response from 'sponge' towards the bottom). This gives me high hopes.

I happen to have the starpex guitar pictured in one of the links you provided; I'll try to find one of these adapters, and hopefully get this working.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never would have thought about it. i need a Wii guitar to play the RB2 hack and was about to buy another guitar. since i have a wired red SG, i'll simply buy an adapter and hook it up. hope it'll work.

is this any good ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-Controller-Joypad-Wii-Adapter-Converter-Cable-/260658673546?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3cb077b78a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Success!! Reply with quote

Hey y'all!

I bought this puppy based on the reviews I mentioned above, and it works perfectly with my PS2/PS3 Peak Starpex guitar.

This thing is awesome!!!

(p.s. despite the timing of my post, this is not an april's fool crack)

Last edited by abe49 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..looks like my SG's are no longer closet space..

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremecarbon wrote:
..looks like my SG's are no longer closet space..

same here. good thing cuz i wanna try RB2 on wii with the DLC hack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: