ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bass Pedal Drum Technique: Learn How to Control Kicks Better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syclone0044  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Bass Pedal Drum Technique: Learn How to Control Kicks Better Reply with quote

The biggest and easiest improvement I ever made to my Guitar Hero drumming skills, was when I learned how to control my kicks better with this technique.

It's no secret the toughest part of learning drumming is becoming accustomed to the bass pedal kicks. But beginners make things much worse on themselves by STOMPING the pedal with every hit. Nobody can keep that up – and on time – through the end of a setlist!

Read Article: Bass Pedal Drum Technique: Learn How to Control Kicks Better

Guitar Hero Instrument Photo Repair Guides (Guitar/Drum) - Fix your broken GHWT strumbar (doublestrum), drum kit insensitive red pad, collapsing drum stand legs with my how-to guides.

I play GH3, GHWT, GHM, GH5 on Wii, and GHOT/GHOT:D on DS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 0597910363246474
CryofthePlanet  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...or you could just use the ball of your foot like I do, and make it easier to do fast kicks without missing or getting tired. >_> Also works for double bass
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fuzworth  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play using the same technique in the bottom of Syclone's picture, but I'm pretty sure when/if I ever actually get good at drums, I'll have to switch to the balls of my feet as well.

if you want some good technique, Vadrum is always a delight to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqwvjwqwK4 he shows his feet at 0:55

he dominates his kick drums and he's always on the balls of his feet, but notice the angle on his ankle... his foot is almost perpendicular to his leg... you want to be careful about not letting your heel get too high when you play on your toes.
Blashyrkh  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CryofthePlanet wrote:
Yeah...or you could just use the ball of your foot like I do, and make it easier to do fast kicks without missing or getting tired. >_> Also works for double bass

Agreed. Heel up is the way to go.
Master-Tesuch  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so would the below picture be considered bad form/positioning?

The ball of my foot is on the ground in between notes, obviously, but to hit the notes I lift the ball of my foot and then when the pedal comes up with the front of my foot, I reverse the motion. I mean, I've gotten some great scores doing it like this, and although the other technique offers more control, would there be any other benefits?

Oh, and sorry pic is blurry....had to hold camera, keep foot on pedal, lean over and take the pic without seeing the digital display x___x

<----- One of the hardest banners to earn on ScoreHero!!! The story is pretty good anyway, go ahead, give it a try!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
CoalfieldRocker  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehh probably more consistent if you move your foot a inch or two up the pedal more but all in all i cant really find anything wrong with it, looks pretty similar to what i do for fast sections

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoalfieldRocker wrote:
ehh probably more consistent if you move your foot a inch or two up the pedal more but all in all i cant really find anything wrong with it, looks pretty similar to what i do for fast sections

Yeah, moving the foot up seems like what most of the pros do....still....I've tried that, and it KILLS my calf. I don't get how people do that, is it just building up the muscle? Doing fast repititions with so little leverage seems like is less feasible with a positioning like that.

<----- One of the hardest banners to earn on ScoreHero!!! The story is pretty good anyway, go ahead, give it a try!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
CoalfieldRocker  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea its all muscle buildup, when i do X+ one foot stuff (when i'm going for maximum speed, basically) my leg and knee dont even move, its all very small ankle movements, which is pretty much all calf thats doing the work

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

And your hips should be slightly higher than your knees when you sit.
daniel192  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do stuff like IYWP...PFW or Nemesis (Expert regular) with one foot. I always tap to fast. Any tips?
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel192 wrote:
How do you do stuff like IYWP...PFW or Nemesis (Expert regular) with one foot. I always tap to fast. Any tips?

personally i find the band hero pedal a lot more difficult to control kicks with, i was better with the WT pedal. I could do stuff like that easy with that pedal, but stuff like this is REALLY quick and I can't seem to simulate it on this plastic pedal (though I can go WAY faster on a real pedal)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: