ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Help! I keep losing combo while scratching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> DJ Technique, Style, and Gameplay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twinguistics  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Help! I keep losing combo while scratching. Reply with quote

When scratching in medium and hard (the random non-directional scratching) I keep losing the combo even though I'm still holding the button and moving my hand back and forth. It's really annoying! I'll hit the start of a perfect area correctly, and the the start of a long scratch but then in the middle of the scratch I just lose it for no reason and I don't get the Euphoria. It's really marring my enjoyment as I feel it's not my fault.

I've tried scratching slower, faster, smoother but all to no avail.

How do you pros prevent this annoying problem?
maxninja114  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I keep losing combo while scratching. Reply with quote

Twinguistics wrote:
When scratching in medium and hard (the random non-directional scratching) I keep losing the combo even though I'm still holding the button and moving my hand back and forth. It's really annoying! I'll hit the start of a perfect area correctly, and the the start of a long scratch but then in the middle of the scratch I just lose it for no reason and I don't get the Euphoria. It's really marring my enjoyment as I feel it's not my fault.

1. Welcome to the forums

2. Is there any way you can probably get a video of this problem?

3. The culprit is more than likely your DJH turntable controller, plus you didn't tell us which version/bundle of DJ Hero you got, but if i can assume you got either the first or second DJ Hero bundle, there are some DJH controllers that come "faulty" in the sense that they have a few problems from the start (Except if you got either the Renegade Edition for DJH1 or the Party Bundle for DJH2, then you should be TOTALLY fine). Letting go of scratches before/during/after is a typical problem with this kind of turntable controller.

4. My suggestion would either to contact Activision Support (Contrary to popular belief, Yes they still support GH and DJH controller support even after they canceled the series) and see if you can trade it in for a better one. That is, IF this is the cause of the problem.

5. If it's none of the above, then it's just the timing/lag if you are playing this on an LCD/HDTV, COMPLETELY recommend you to calibrate both versions BEFORE you start playing. Also search for Tips and Tricks for DJ Hero on Youtube.

That's all i got, let us know if you keep having any problems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I keep losing combo while scratching. Reply with quote

Twinguistics wrote:

Yeah, you might need a new controller. To make sure if it's your controller (rewind glitch) go to the menu or something and spin your platter back like you are doing a rewind. Make sure you spin it fast so you can tell for sure. You would know if while it's spinning on its own, the buttons will randomly press.
This has happened to me with me DJH1 controller. I would scratch downwards (even a little bit) and i would break combo.
Hope we helped solve your problem.
Good luck!
Twinguistics  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I've now found the topic all about this in the misc forum (probably should have looked their first, eh?) And I'm thinking it's the dreaded rewind problem.

I've tried your suggestion of spinning the platter in the menu screen and it does start to randomly enter screens and stuff - I guess it isn't supposed to do that?

I think I'll take it back to Game and see if they can replace it. Hope they don't just offer a refund as it was only £30. If they do then I guess I'll call Activision....
Fedora  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinguistics wrote:
Thanks guys.

I've now found the topic all about this in the misc forum (probably should have looked their first, eh?) And I'm thinking it's the dreaded rewind problem.

I've tried your suggestion of spinning the platter in the menu screen and it does start to randomly enter screens and stuff - I guess it isn't supposed to do that?

I think I'll take it back to Game and see if they can replace it. Hope they don't just offer a refund as it was only £30. If they do then I guess I'll call Activision....

Good way to check the rewind bug is to go into any song, rewind as hard as you can, and look to see if all three buttons are "pressed" at the same time on screen. It will almost always show up when the buttons go past the normal (left) position.

Good news is that controllers have now gone way down in price, so even if Activision bilks you on it, you can pick up another for not too much.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
Twinguistics  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I actually tried something else that I think confirmed the fact I have a duff 'table. I found a place in a song with no notes and then just scratched the platter without pressing any buttons and all 3 buttons pressed!

Activision can't not replace it can they? For a piece of hardware that costs £50+ it should work perfectly. They'd better give me a new one asap or they'll have a fight on their hands.

Just out of interest though, where sells just the turntables?
Fedora  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinguistics wrote:
Thanks.

I actually tried something else that I think confirmed the fact I have a duff 'table. I found a place in a song with no notes and then just scratched the platter without pressing any buttons and all 3 buttons pressed!

Activision can't not replace it can they? For a piece of hardware that costs £50+ it should work perfectly. They'd better give me a new one asap or they'll have a fight on their hands.

Just out of interest though, where sells just the turntables?

Any sort of big box electronics store. Best Buy, Fry's, whatever the British versions of those are.

Also seen them at Gamestops, etc.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
KoushiroIzumi  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for mega-late reply to this thread, but I have also observed certain things in DJ Hero 1 while fc'ing the setlists on Hard (I'll accept any and all challenges to beat my scores, gives me more intuition to play them again ).

1. Rewind bug actually happens "regardless" if your controllers' chipset is malfunctioning or not, so please don't assume that it's the controller if you FC a song, yet at the results screen it says you have a 99% with the last note missed. Take a look at Kane40's rants in his comments for certain songs indicating he didn't miss, yet he falls one note short of a FC even though he hits all the notes. It seems to mainly happen when you rewind to an area where it's in the middle of a scratch or a multitude of notes. Easiest indicator that it glitched before finishing the song? When you do the rewind, your multiplier is 4x and not 8x during the rewind section even though you didn't miss a note or drop combo. This I believe was fixed in DJ Hero 2, so it's only a known issue in the first game.

2. Hyperdeck being enabled/disabled has no affect on the rewind bug, it has happened to me both enabled and disabled.

3. The rewind bug that you noticed is not really a bug, but a malfunctioning controller. I bought a stand-alone controller from Amazon that was malfunctioning straight outta the box where i'm playing the song normally and it does a random rewind, or I drop combo because it thinks I hit all three buttons. I now bought a Party Bundle for ~$45 on Amazon "NEW" after returning the stand-alone and both controllers work perfectly fine with no bugs. I play on the 360, so my verification for all of this is solely on that platform, but I do believe that this bug happens across all platforms.

Also random note, I didn't realize that you also got DJ Hero 1 with the party bundle O_o That was a good thing for me I guess, seeing as my current copy of DJH1 is scratched to hell and back, it's nice to play with a fresh copy

Any other questions, feel free to ask, but I think I covered basically everything else that wasn't already mentioned :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years late, but good info on that rewind bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> DJ Technique, Style, and Gameplay All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: