ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Is it possible to have reached a limit? Could I get better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xKENSEIx  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Is it possible to have reached a limit? Could I get better? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been playing GH for years, and managed to get quite good (5* TTFAF, FC many songs, etc.) but I've always thought that I should be better than that given the amount of practice I've put in.

It got me thinking; does a human have a certain personal limit, that once they reach they can't improve? I really want to be one of the top players, but no matter how hard I try, I just stay at this level (which I've been at for over a year now).

It would be nice if somebody could tell me I'm crazy and that there is no limit, and tell me exactly how to go about getting better, but I don't know if I'd be able to.

I've been learning how to tap, and have gotten good at it and even that seems to have reached a limit too.

How did the pros reach that status?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I know this is just a game but it's something I'm very passionate about and it's really getting me quite upset that I'm stuck where I am.

Thank you.
Blashyrkh  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it like an RPG. Each new level requires more experience than the previous one. As such, you need to practice more and more to attain the same level of improvement as you get better.

I don't think there's a 'limit' as such, it just depends on your application. You say you can 5* TTFAF, so start working on an FC of a section of the solo working towards the whole thing.

You need to set harder goals.
Shaffx95  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only limit is your body limit. If your fingers can move fast enough to hit the craziness in One Fast Solo A, it's just a matter of "brain control".
I don't know how to explain exactly, but what i'm trying to say is that, if your body doesn't stop you from getting faster and faster (a.k.a hurting your fingers or getting tired), it's just a matter of controlling your finger movements during fast sections. And the only way to do this is practicing

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
BobDole  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see any reason to believe in a personal "limit." People just progress at different speeds. I've probably played these games a lot more than some of the elite players, but I'm nowhere near as good as them. Still, to this day I know that I'm improving (very slowly) when I play, as evidenced by those times when I go back and try a song that used to be hard for me and find that it's now easy or at least easier.

Shaffx95's point about finger speed is solid, though honestly if you learn the right methods, very little in these games will even require your fingers to move all that fast. One FSA for example...if you're alt-tapping it, your fingers aren't really moving that fast. That's not to say it isn't difficult to alt-tap it because it definitely is...just that the difficulty is in executing your chosen method cleanly, not in getting your fingers to move "fast enough."

That's also not to say that nothing in these games will make your fingers move really fast, but it's not as big of an obstacle as you may think it is. Besides, finger speed is something that should gradually improve the more you play.

Shaffx95  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDole wrote:

That's also not to say that nothing in these games will make your fingers move really fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSmhDa9WRE
RAW SNAKE AT SEA!

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
xKENSEIx  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Actually, after I had posted this, I played some more GH and managed to get -2 on Mosh 1 and -5(?) on First Blood, both Expert, which is something I had never done before. I believe that I may end up getting past my Guitar Hero "limit" soon.

I've done some more thinking too, and I've come to the conclusion that it may not be a personal limit that's getting me, but a lack of motivation. I know I've been working hard at First Blood on Greatest Hits, but I looked back at other sections I used to work on: Solo D on Cliffs of Dover; the solo to The Shortest Straw; the tap notes at the end of Demolition Man; even Yes We Can which I can't FC due to hating the song so much and screwing up, and why I hadn't FC'ed them in the end. It's not due to them being too hard for me, but because I've gotten too frustrated and just gave up on them.

Without the motivation to get better and FC these songs, I'm never going to get anywhere, right? Also, I was told by my fiancee that I tell myself that I'm terrible at these games, which will also affect my motivation, and make me believe that I am actually a bad player.

How do some of you keep the motivation, even if you're getting terrible results from your playing? I've never been good at getting motivated, especially as I've not had the best faith put in me since I was a child, so I'm almost certain that this is what I need.
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xKENSEIx wrote:
How do some of you keep the motivation, even if you're getting terrible results from your playing? I've never been good at getting motivated, especially as I've not had the best faith put in me since I was a child, so I'm almost certain that this is what I need.

Sometimes it's good just to take a break for a while. I will usually take several days to a week off if "I'm just not feeling it." Also, if a particular song is troubling you, try going back to a game you haven't played in a long time. I can almost guarantee you will have some better scores. May even FC a song or two that you hadn't got before. This will help tell your mind, "See? You are getting better. You never got these scores before." It will help your confidence, and in turn will help with your motivation. I'll give you an example. I was having trouble trying to 5* Spanish Fly, so for about a week, I just played WoR. One day, I saw I was hitting some of the nasty solos in Sudden Death. That's when I decided to try my luck at Spanish Fly again. Got it in about 15 minutes.

Of course, there's nothing written down that states you must play Guitar Hero. Like any video game ever created, it's just a video game. But, if you are looking for motivation those are a couple ways that may help.

xKENSEIx  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very passionate about Guitar Hero. I enjoy it like an Olympic runner enjoys running. Even though it is just a video game, I take it very seriously.

Spanish Fly is the song that has caused the majority of this thread. I've been trying to 5* it for ages and was getting nowhere.

I've actually read a thread created by Master-Tesuch, who has given me hope that I can achieve great things with this game. I read through his Accomplishment thread, his FreeBird post and his journey to FC Jordan, from just wanting to replicate a picture he saw of the solo, to the encouragement he got to FC it and it has really opened my eyes.

I lack that encouragement, and I think I really need that. Not only for Guitar Hero, but in all honesty; for my life. I never get any encouraging words thrown my way and that's why I'm such a recluse. Enough of my depressing life...

I'm going to start doing what Blashyrkh said; Set harder goals. I've never even set any goals, not proper ones anyway.

Thank you for your reply, I will go back to all of my older games as I do own all but GH5. I won't play GH2, because no matter what I can't get used to the notes anymore and the way the highway is tilted.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's mostly psychological dude; a mental block. you think you can't do something thus you aren't able to do it. for me, there was a distinct transition point from when i was 'pretty good' to 'really good'. up until i was really good, there were songs that i knew i could fc, and songs that were beyond me. instead of spending all my game time fc'ing the songs i knew i could fc, i would spend a good bit of time working on the hard sections in the songs that were beyond me. then, by the time i had fc'ed all the songs that i was previously capable of fcing, low and behold, there were more songs that i could fc. in gh2, it eventually got to the point where i was working on h18 and jordan, even though they were not my immediate goals. now, i've fc'ed them.

this relates back to the point about setting goals for yourself; practice stuff that you know is out of your reach, even if on the slower speeds; this will make you much better at the easier songs.

however, for awhile now it hasn't been like that; my perspective on the game has changed. i look at every song that i haven't fc'ed and i see songs that i can get with relatively little effort, and then songs that i can get with more substantial efforts. i really don't believe that there's anything on disc that i can't do...except maybe i'm the one.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
xKENSEIx  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The encouragement that I'm getting in my accomplishments thread has done me wonders! I know it's not the best FC in the world, but I FC'd Freya on Guitar Hero 2 yesterday, something I never thought I could do before.

I'm going to get a lot better, very quickly at this rate, as I've FC'ed at least 10 songs since talking to you guys and making my thread.
rparker  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there would be a limit, even on this game, there is a limit. hit every note perfectly, complete the combo for the whole song. Make sure that you have the power-up until the end just to name a few. It would be a tough challenge to time when you would use the score multiplier so that it would last the longest. That would be where some points would be contested. Though if you have played the game for a very long time already. You would know when to do it.
Master-Tesuch  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a pretty thorough guide for improving your skills, if you'd like to check it out: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105022

Your "limit" I think is only really controlled by how much time/effort you want to put into the game. The legends like ggamer/gamo are as beast as they are because they have both practiced a lot and continue to challenge themselves with insanely difficult customs. As long as you continue to challenge yourself, you will continue to improve. It will take longer to get better, the better you get, but you will be quite happy to see yourself improving.

<----- One of the hardest banners to earn on ScoreHero!!! The story is pretty good anyway, go ahead, give it a try!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master-Tesuch wrote:
I wrote a pretty thorough guide for improving your skills, if you'd like to check it out: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105022

I highly recommend following that link and reading the paragraphs contained in it. If you want to improve, then practice. As long as you put effort into this game, you're going to start seeing improvements and with that comes progress. Some or many players dwell in practice mode throughout most of their gameplay, to practice the hard sections of a song and to be consistent at them. At one point, I couldn't pass Cult of Personality, even with Star Power! Now I have 69/70 FC's on GH3X. It just goes to show that when you invest time into this game, the results are significant.
xKENSEIx  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master-Tesuch wrote:

Your "limit" I think is only really controlled by how much time/effort you want to put into the game. The legends like ggamer/gamo are as beast as they are because they have both practiced a lot and continue to challenge themselves with insanely difficult customs. As long as you continue to challenge yourself, you will continue to improve. It will take longer to get better, the better you get, but you will be quite happy to see yourself improving.

Thank you, but I have already have that thread favourited.

It's mainly because of you that I have been improving a lot, as I read through your accomplishment thread and your Jordan FC. I noticed how hard you worked, and the results you got in the end of it all. I also read that "Getting Better" thread, and it really made me want to get a lot better at these games. So, thank you so much! And to everyone on ScoreHero that has kept an eye on my progress, and encouraged me to FC more songs; thank you, also!

Since creating this thread, I have achieved many FC's that I would consider difficult; Demolition Man, Love Me Two Times, Back In The Saddle SH, Freya GH2, Mother SH, etc. I firmly believe that it's because of the encouragement that I have gotten better, which is why I think that one will only reach the limit of their abilities when other people stop telling them that they are getting better.
Master-Tesuch  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xKENSEIx wrote:
Master-Tesuch wrote:

Thank you, but I have already have that thread favourited.

It's mainly because of you that I have been improving a lot, as I read through your accomplishment thread and your Jordan FC. I noticed how hard you worked, and the results you got in the end of it all. I also read that "Getting Better" thread, and it really made me want to get a lot better at these games. So, thank you so much!

Oh, wow. It's awesome that I've been able to help you, I didn't realize that the guide was actually helpful to people. You've made great progress lately, can't wait to see you get better and better. You already know how, just have to stick with it as long as you enjoy it; no telling how beastly you'll become. =]

<----- One of the hardest banners to earn on ScoreHero!!! The story is pretty good anyway, go ahead, give it a try!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Master Tesuch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: