ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Rant thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 225, 226, 227 ... 398, 399, 400  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly wrote:
But fuck red milk so hard. Not even milk as far as I'm concerned.

Cloudy water, s'what it is. Useless.

That said, I don't drink milk at all. I have it in tea/coffee and on cereal, but drinking it on its own, out of a glass... never. Although I will if it's soya milk, which probably says a lot.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
That said, I don't drink milk at all. I have it in tea/coffee and on cereal, but drinking it on its own, out of a glass... never. Although I will if it's soya milk, which probably says a lot.

Same here, that's one of my unwritten rules in life .
Fug  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the previous religion rant, but fuck it I'm gonna throw my story in here anyway.

Before I rant, understand that I’m the kind of person that loathes talking about anything that can be extremely opinionated (mainly politics and religion). You may call me a hypocrite for posting about this since everything I’m about to rant about is exactly that. I’m willing to accept that.

I was born into a strict conservative, devout Catholic family. I went through all the weekend religious classes that my parents deemed to be necessary (most of which were pointless because I learned nothing; what kid wants to sit in a classroom full of other kids he has no previous relationship with and listen to some random old person with no educational background teach about a watered-down kiddy version of a biblical story on a Sunday night?), I underwent all of the sacraments that a Catholic is required to undergo, went through the high school "youth group" experience, and even joined a side group in high school that planned middle school retreats for my church. Can anyone guess how many of these actions I personally, not my parents and other significant family members, decided were right for me or sounded like something I'd enjoy?

I'm sure many, if not most, people that devote part of their lives to worshipping in a religion go through a similar cycle of introduction to their religion, but I’m sure many of them have a choice somewhere down the line to choose whether to continue to pursue this lifestyle or not. Most of my friends that call themselves “Catholics” went through a similar kind of cycle, but stopped going to any kind of religious education after they made their confirmations since there’s no future sacrament they have to undergo mandatorily. In fact, I’d be surprised if any of them went to church at all other than on Easter and Christmas (the infamous “twice-a-year-Cathoilc” kind of thing). I’m a definite exception to this “being able to choose” thing.

My family is very ”close” (and I use that term VERY lightly for personal reasons) because every Sunday, my family and all of my mother’s siblings’ families meet at my grandma’s house for dinner and to talk about various things. And by various things, I mean how all democrats are the spawn of Satan and that the gays are rapidly plunging the world into hell. I like to tell myself that the only reason everyone in the room agrees on this and constantly insists on talking about how everyone else in the world is wrong is due to some kind of groupthink, but there’s a very good chance that they are all actually ridiculously single-minded and arrogant (retarded, as I like to call them).

Now I have to take a step back to explain the relevance of this to me. As you can probably tell from what I've already said, I don't agree with them on pretty much anything. My grandmother is the “head”, “leader”, “organizer”, whatever you want to call her of her local church’s religious education program. Because of this (and the fact that pretty much all of my family except for my immediate family lives in very rural areas so there’s not really much of anything else to focus your life around), religion is, and always has been, a huge thing in my family. My mother and her siblings were forced through the same process I went through and have grown to actually enjoy it. My mother volunteers at our church frequently and is a member of the church "prayer line", one of my two aunts teaches religious education for the program my grandmother runs, my other aunt is lazy and very self-centered so she doesn't do much of anything for the church but still harps about the same crap as everyone else during the weekly rants, and my uncle is... well, he rarely rants with them so I don't mind him. Religion isn’t a recreational thing in my family, it’s a lifestyle. Telling my mother, grandmother, aunts, uncles, pretty much anyone in my family that I want to lead a life where I make my own choices and that I can make my own moral decisions based on basic human nature, not from stories written over 2000 years ago, would be the equivalent of telling them that I’m a serial rapist.

My anxiety-ridden, paranoid thought process is telling me to stop this rant here, so I’m going to do so. I end this by saying that I am by no means saying that conservative people are bad people (nor are liberals) or that Catholics (casual or devout) are bad people, I just can’t stand people that are so opinionated and single-minded that they feel that everyone else has to think like them or, in my case, force it upon their children.

tl;dr:

Accomplishment Thread - Nothing new... lol. | Youtube | S11 - GH2X Squeedlies Champion!
Saru786  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I had to do was look at the tl;dr and I agree with you. Even though, I did go back and read what you said, and your family sounds very similar to my family. Only difference being the religion. But that really surprises me how even though my family is a totally different religion than your family, but they both act very similarly went it comes down to the topic of religion in general. It's kinda like having two mothers from completely opposite-minded cultures, but they still have lots of traits that they share. I guess the words "in general" really do mean something.

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:

This is me, except I'm also lactose intolerant (damn my heritage..).
Davers  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rant is that I'm not sure what I should do. If you know me, I'm a really honest guy. Matter of fact, my mom says I'm too critical of people because of my honesty (I say what everyone is thinking but won't say). Anyways, so I find this $100 gift card at my restaurant at the end of the night under a table. It's in a sealed pouch, so I know it's unused, and it has the freakin' receipt with it saying that $100 was put on it. No name or anything. Just laying there under the table.

Now typically, we are suppose to turn this kind of stuff in to the office. But the problem here is that this is like loose cash found on a sidewalk. Anyone that finds it, will take it. Something like this is hard to reclaim because no one will fess up that they found it. Anyways, I know for a fact that if I turn it into the office, my boss will keep. I asked the other server about it and she said not to turn it in to the boss, because she knew they would keep it as well.

The gift card is actually one of those Visa gift cards where it can be used anywhere. My problem is that I feel bad for the person who lost it but not sure what to do about the situation. I talked to my mom about it and she said you really can't do anything about it. It's like losing a $100 bill. It happens to some people. But you just can't turn stuff like that in because people will just keep it and then claim nothing like that was ever turned in.

So SH, what would you do? I know the majority of you will say what my mom said, but how do I go about to make my conscious feel good about keeping it?
Fug  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep it. If you're certain your boss will spend it if you turn it in, then there's no way the original owner will ever get it anyway. If you aren't comfortable spending it on yourself, then use it to buy some Christmas gifts or something along those lines. Maybe spending it on something for someone else will make you feel less guilty.

@Saru
I agree on the "in general" thing. Whenever there's two different views/beliefs on something, there's always gonna be that group or that guy that takes things too far. I'm just pissed I have to deal with both religious and political bigotry on a daily basis.

Accomplishment Thread - Nothing new... lol. | Youtube | S11 - GH2X Squeedlies Champion!
Silly  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep it and blow it on myself, finders keepers.

But if that's not your thing, you could buy your mum something for Christmas for giving you the advice.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, keep it. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it (Well, you could put up signs around the restaurant or something, so that if they come back to look for it, they can call you or something. But then the manager would find out...)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said there's a receipt with it? If the receipt has any info you might be able to track down the person, otherwise yeah keep it.
Davers  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
You said there's a receipt with it? If the receipt has any info you might be able to track down the person, otherwise yeah keep it.

It was purchased at Walgreens but with cash from the looks of it. I can't just take it into Walgreens and give it to them. They wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm going to probably just buy Christmas gifts with it. So far, everyone has said just keep it. Nothing you can do about it. Sorry for the person that lost it, yay for me I guess. lol
LethalFishEater  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really goddamn depressing. Why do we let these people still make decisions?
>tfw you will never have as many posts as bjw ;_;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FoshOtter
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LethalFishEater wrote:
This is really goddamn depressing. Why do we let these people still make decisions?
U.S. Going Communist LOL
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We probably approve more of Hitler than Congress.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
LethalFishEater  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
We probably approve more of Hitler than Congress.
Sounds like something Hitler would say. Hitler. That's right, I know. [Also, I just won whatever non-existent argument that occurred via Godwin.]
>tfw you will never have as many posts as bjw ;_;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FoshOtter
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 225, 226, 227 ... 398, 399, 400  Next
Page 226 of 400

Jump to: