ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Vocals Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHeroFan101  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Vocals Question Reply with quote

I just have a quick question about Guitar Hero Vocals.

Is the GH Vocals engine picky or is it just me? It seems like when I play a game like Guitar Hero:Smash Hits, it is really picky. If you are not singing in the right tone, it makes the vocal line go up and down very crazily. It just counts every little thing you do, such as breathe. It counts every little breathe. So, is it just me or is it the Vocals engine??

On Guitar Hero:Warriors of Rock, the vocals engine is not that picky. I can sing perfect on that game, but I just have problems with games like GH:SH,GH5,GH:VH,and GH:WT on Vocals. On Band Hero and GH:WoR, I have no problems.

Since I have GH:WoR and BH on PS3 and have all other GH games in the series on PS2, does that have to do with anything? Is the engine for all GH games the same on every system??

EDIT: Also, would setting your mic volume lower or higher help?
werelord  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well coming from a Wii perspective which has the same engine as the PS2 yes the engine is strict on the GH:M-VH engines (WT's the same but solid keeps a combo). GH5 and BH have identical engines where I believe you are only alloted to be 1 semitone off and imo are the hardest engines GH:WoR is similar, but gives an incredible leniancy at the beginning of a pitch making it imo overall the easiest. Finally, there IS a difference between PS2 and PS3 (although I have never noticed it) for Wii/PS2 WT-VH are easier then on 360/PS3 where as GH5/BH are (or at least seem to be) harder for Wii/PS2. Basicly the general consensus is that 360/PS3 versions are harder. Does that anwser your question?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werelord wrote:
Well coming from a Wii perspective which has the same engine as the PS2 yes the engine is strict on the GH:M-VH engines (WT's the same but solid keeps a combo). GH5 and BH have identical engines where I believe you are only alloted to be 1 semitone off and imo are the hardest engines GH:WoR is similar, but gives an incredible leniancy at the beginning of a pitch making it imo overall the easiest. Finally, there IS a difference between PS2 and PS3 (although I have never noticed it) for Wii/PS2 WT-VH are easier then on 360/PS3 where as GH5/BH are (or at least seem to be) harder for Wii/PS2. Basicly the general consensus is that 360/PS3 versions are harder. Does that anwser your question?

Yes. Thanks for the information.
dramacomic  
Neversoft QA
Neversoft QA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd chime in some observations specific to my experience with PS2 vs. 360 vox that may be of use (can't vouch for PS3 or Wii)...

Lag is most definitely an issue for PS2. I have a standard (non-HD) TV which has never required calibration for any rhythm game, and when I learned to play WT on vox, I found that I was only FCing things when I sang them about half a beat early. If you don't, and/or you don't mess around with calibration, then the comet definitely dances around a lot, which is an issue you were mentioning. Once you get used to the timing, though, I find that it's far easier to hold combo on PS2 than it is on 360, and I definitely speak from experience on that one. PS3 should be the same as 360 in terms of leniency, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it has quirks of its own since PS3 vox is relatively uncharted waters as far as the GH series is concerned.

Also, freeform sections (the ones for WT-era games which award points) are pretty erratic and inconsistent, even if you match pitches that you see on youtube that should be giving you lots of points, so hopefully you're like me and not too fussed with getting the best scores in any of those games Conversely, the scoring system often awards more points on PS2 per phrase on GH5 and BH, so if you get a song with a lot of short phrases like Running Down a Dream or Rock Star, then a PS2 non-FC score can be miles ahead of the top score on 360/PS3/Wii.

I can't speak for everyone, but adjusting mic volume has had no affect on my performance whatsoever. I wear headphones when I play and I prefer turning the mic volume down completely to zero so that I don't hear an echo of my voice mixed into the music, and it works quite well for me.

Other than that, just use practice mode a lot until you start consistently seeing those Excellents (or Green/Yellow flashes in WT's case). Best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dramacomic wrote:
Just thought I'd chime in some observations specific to my experience with PS2 vs. 360 vox that may be of use (can't vouch for PS3 or Wii)...

Lag is most definitely an issue for PS2. I have a standard (non-HD) TV which has never required calibration for any rhythm game, and when I learned to play WT on vox, I found that I was only FCing things when I sang them about half a beat early. If you don't, and/or you don't mess around with calibration, then the comet definitely dances around a lot, which is an issue you were mentioning. Once you get used to the timing, though, I find that it's far easier to hold combo on PS2 than it is on 360, and I definitely speak from experience on that one. PS3 should be the same as 360 in terms of leniency, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it has quirks of its own since PS3 vox is relatively uncharted waters as far as the GH series is concerned.

Also, freeform sections (the ones for WT-era games which award points) are pretty erratic and inconsistent, even if you match pitches that you see on youtube that should be giving you lots of points, so hopefully you're like me and not too fussed with getting the best scores in any of those games Conversely, the scoring system often awards more points on PS2 per phrase on GH5 and BH, so if you get a song with a lot of short phrases like Running Down a Dream or Rock Star, then a PS2 non-FC score can be miles ahead of the top score on 360/PS3/Wii.

I can't speak for everyone, but adjusting mic volume has had no affect on my performance whatsoever. I wear headphones when I play and I prefer turning the mic volume down completely to zero so that I don't hear an echo of my voice mixed into the music, and it works quite well for me.

Other than that, just use practice mode a lot until you start consistently seeing those Excellents (or Green/Yellow flashes in WT's case). Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the info, man! Also, I am not worried about scores. I used to try and squeeze all the time, but now it doesn't really matter to me. I usually input all of my scores on Scorehero and then go back and redux. When I get a FC, I'm just like "Well, as long as I got the FC, I don't care about the score".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: