ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Custom Super Mario 64 project?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to make tunnels underneath everything, make them BEFORE you create anything on top. It makes it a ton easier in the future. I'm trying to build some underground tunnels and it has been nothing but a pain because I already designed something on the top layer. I've had to delete all my pyramids (they are easy to build) just to build the tunnels. Just an FYI.

I've been working on my tunnels and did a test run on them. I need to resize them, but I'll have a vid uploaded within the next hour. It's really hard to see what sizes will work and what won't when editing. Some tunnels are huge, while others I can't even fit in. Anyways, you will get to see some of the level in action.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaPyCpPrjXA
Davers  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to redo the tunnels tonight They look a lot better though this time around. Not near as much collision problems now. So as of now, I'm about 90% of the way finished with the tunnels. Then I'll start on the rest of the level
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds fun. I would love to take a stab at this over the summer. Way too busy right now though :p
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Had to redo the tunnels tonight They look a lot better though this time around. Not near as much collision problems now. So as of now, I'm about 90% of the way finished with the tunnels. Then I'll start on the rest of the level

How did you get collision to work out? When I test my level Mario just phases through all the walls of the house...

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Davers  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a tutorial that I will be uploading to youtube here soon. It's split into two parts - Pt 1 Walls and Pt 2 Tunnels. Pt 3 will be floating platforms (oh yay, these are a pain). But the first part is only 6 minutes long. The second part is about 10 minutes but it shows the test level in action. I show how to build solid and fake walls.

Part 2 is just tunnel tips pretty much. Much trial and error on my part to get them to actually cooperate with me. Hopefully they will help you guys out. I'll post the vids as soon as they upload.

Part 1 - Walls
Part 2 - Tunnels
Part 3 - Floating Platforms
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful videos. Unfortunately I think I have to start my level over from scratch; I've been building on a ludicrously huge scale on sketchup (had to set scale to 600 on the level importer) and my walls are all screwed up because I've just been using flat rectangles for everything. :/

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Davers  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Very helpful videos. Unfortunately I think I have to start my level over from scratch; I've been building on a ludicrously huge scale on sketchup (had to set scale to 600 on the level importer) and my walls are all screwed up because I've just been using flat rectangles for everything. :/

It's not too hard to replace all the walls with actual walls (if that makes any sense). Might be a little time consuming, but it would suck to have to restart. Also, you might try using the "push/pull" tool and pulling out the flat walls to make them thicker. I have no idea if that will work, but you could at least give it a shot and see.

As for the whole scale thing, I do know you don't want to make the level TOO big for fear of it not fitting into the game. But 600 would mean the level has to be freakin' HUGE But if it's still opening in the game, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you don't fill up all the space. Place perimeter walls up and enclose what you are using.
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might be able to join in on this with the Hazy Maze Cave. I'm not entirely certain if I'll succeed or not, but it's worth a shot.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
Qarx  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to get started on Tick Tock Clock after I watch Davers's videos; would probably help to get a handle on how it's done before I play around with it XD.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PuppetMaster9 wrote:
I think I might be able to join in on this with the Hazy Maze Cave. I'm not entirely certain if I'll succeed or not, but it's worth a shot.

Qarx wrote:
I'm probably going to get started on Tick Tock Clock after I watch Davers's videos; would probably help to get a handle on how it's done before I play around with it XD.

All I can say is that if you guys actually stick to these two levels, you are going to have quite the challenge on your hands working in Google Sketchup. lol Good luck!
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't forgotten about this; I've just been pretty busy with other random stuff. I started my level over, and I WILL have it done sometime during the start of August.

In the meantime, here's a playlist of a guy doing a blind playthrough of a really awesome hack I found (might be the best I've ever seen):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9F8EEB69D1C64F53&feature=plcp

It even has a backstory other than "hurr save princess." So I pose a question: would you guys like to do a real story or just stick to the classic format?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: