Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rant Thread II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LethalFishEater  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rock Band pisses you off so much, the problem can be solved by just... not playing the game? I liked the part where you treated subjective preferences as fact, by the way.

The strum limit was a by-product of the engine in the first two games, but that hasn't been an issue since Rock Band 3 came out over two years ago. You said it yourself, go play GH3 customs if you want an easier engine.
>tfw you will never have as many posts as bjw ;_;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FoshOtter
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL4RE wrote:
Also, rockband 2 has one of the best setlists out of the two series', along with gh80's and gh1. Hell the only neversoft game with a fantastic setlist is warriors of rock. Essentially your post is one giant cry dude.

To be fair, wasn't Rock Band 2 delayed like crazy in Australia? I agree the setlist is one of the best (RB1 being the absolute best in my opinion), but this may be a great example of growing to love something simply because you were denied the alternative for so long. While the rest of us were getting used to RB, people who couldn't get it were still playing GH. Yahtzee's video for GHWT touches on this. Also this. Not everyone has the cash to pick up games from both series, too, so naturally you develop a liking and a loyalty to the one you buy and get used to playing. And of course there is always the possibility he just genuinely prefers GH and hates RB - a perfectly reasonable opinion to hold (I was in that boat before GH died, wherein a lot of us jumped ship, a better alternative than giving up rhythm games entirely!).

I'll be the first to say I'm utter crap at the Rock Band engine, but I don't think it devalues the game or makes it unusable for other people. I have my own set of gripes with both RB and GH, and I definitely wish GH wasn't "dead" because it's a whole different type of fun. But it is what it is and we have to live with it.

Also, there are plenty of counter-arguments to make to the RB rant post, but I've always thought the "you just hate the engine 'cause you're bad!" is one of the worst. There are a lot of games I have legitimate complaints about and I would sure hate to have them always written off as "Well you're just crap at that game!" It's in the same vein as when people say "you defend ugly people, you must be fat!" or something. The internet loves this stuff, it just devalues that person's whole argument completely. There's a much better way to counter this stuff without resorting to personal attacks, IMO.

All that being said, though, this is the rant thread and any further argument on this subject on both sides just boils down to "stop liking things I don't like!!!" I don't see issue with letting him have his opinion and just ignoring it if you don't like it. Obviously, we're not going to change his mind nor is he going to change ours.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on topic, I'd like to point out how irritating it is to not have enough faces for the number of palms you have...

And uh, goddamn insomnia. I hate not being able to sleep during the Finals' week. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm not gonna be able to wake up in the morning and miss an important exam. That shit truly scares me.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Also, there are plenty of counter-arguments to make to the RB rant post, but I've always thought the "you just hate the engine 'cause you're bad!" is one of the worst. There are a lot of games I have legitimate complaints about and I would sure hate to have them always written off as "Well you're just crap at that game!" It's in the same vein as when people say "you defend ugly people, you must be fat!" or something. The internet loves this stuff, it just devalues that person's whole argument completely. There's a much better way to counter this stuff without resorting to personal attacks, IMO.

Just gonna say that while I find that sort of logic annoying, there are cases where this really is true.

Someone who's really good at Neversoft-era GH because its engine is more lenient and therefore loves it will inherently get annoyed when they do worse in a HMX engine. It's a mental desire to do as just well simply because the gameplay is still hitting buttons on some plastic. This shows up more when going from GH to RB simply because GH allows things RB does not. Ghost fretting being the prime example, it's wrong in terms of what the game wants, why should you be allowed to do it? (Allowing it makes the game easier of course, but at what cost? GH3's timing window made that game easier at the cost of a lot of timing precision.)

The truth is that it's entirely possible to be good at GH and bad at RB simply because you don't have the patience to learn the differences. (Or in RB3's case, figure out your calibration. >__>) So in a case like this, I'd think it'd be fair to say that he doesn't like it because he's bad at it. (Or does "he doesn't enjoy it because he isn't familiar with the engine" sound better? It's not like they mean different things.

Now bringing up stuff like a fixed engine quirk like the strum limit or "unofficial" content like Chaotrope (or Fat Kid or Fallen Angel) is unfair to HMX. In those cases it's like saying GH6 sucks because sliders were screwy in GHWT or that Neversoft is horrible at charting because some GHTunes were impossible. (Never mind that OGAP and Chaism are both optional. >__>)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Someone who's really good at Neversoft-era GH because its engine is more lenient and therefore loves it will inherently get annoyed when they do worse in a HMX engine. It's a mental desire to do as just well simply because the gameplay is still hitting buttons on some plastic. This shows up more when going from GH to RB simply because GH allows things RB does not. Ghost fretting being the prime example, it's wrong in terms of what the game wants, why should you be allowed to do it? (Allowing it makes the game easier of course, but at what cost? GH3's timing window made that game easier at the cost of a lot of timing precision.)

The truth is that it's entirely possible to be good at GH and bad at RB simply because you don't have the patience to learn the differences. (Or in RB3's case, figure out your calibration. >__>) So in a case like this, I'd think it'd be fair to say that he doesn't like it because he's bad at it. (Or does "he doesn't enjoy it because he isn't familiar with the engine" sound better? It's not like they mean different things.

Now bringing up stuff like a fixed engine quirk like the strum limit or "unofficial" content like Chaotrope (or Fat Kid or Fallen Angel) is unfair to HMX. In those cases it's like saying GH6 sucks because sliders were screwy in GHWT or that Neversoft is horrible at charting because some GHTunes were impossible. (Never mind that OGAP and Chaism are both optional. >__>)

Yeah, I can agree that with the GH and RB comparison it's more reasonable to make that argument since their differences are a lot easier to measure (lots of common songs, different-but-still-similar engines, etc). With other games, though, it's just annoying. Like if I were to say "I don't like Call of Duty" and make a list of different reasons why I don't like it (in real life I'm indifferent, FWIW), there would still be a horde of fans who would say, no matter what, "You just don't like it 'cause you're lolbad!!!" It's just an infuriating argument most of the time because people like to use it to detract away from the actual, legitimate discussion (it's the same reason why I hate the U MAD BRO? bullshit every time I see it).

I think part of it is because I sometimes read into the RB/GH comments as being snobby, like they're trying to say "you're bad at this game anyway so your opinion doesn't count." I know that's not what they're saying most of the time, but it definitely happens.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
CamelTower  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people wrote:
ghost fretting

What's that? O_O

/noob
NU Grad 2015
Anthony8  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.nAUght47 wrote:
tons of wrongness

This is definitely not the forum for this, perhaps this can be discussed in the miscellaneous forum. Don't expect to become better at a different engine overnight; ranting about Rock Band should be the last thing you ever do on this half of Scorehero. I'm not gonna say anything more on this.

CamelTower wrote:
people wrote:
ghost fretting

What's that? O_O

/noob

In lame terms, it's playing a note that isn't there. A grbo sweep can still be registered even when you've touched the yellow key. You can do this in GH3 and the successors after it. It can also be done for GH2, but only with descending notes. Why not ascending notes? That's beyond me.

New rants: Even though I met up with my posse today, we didn't do much. Going to Target, visiting an adult shop, and going out to eat wasn't satisfying, just strange (I wasn't the one in mind to go to an adult shop in the first place, lol). Good things or something exciting never happens anymore.

Also, best friends are like relationships. You still need that spark to get them to be interested in you, just not romantically. Whatever I discuss with Elvin is redundant, or he can't add onto my experience by saying something similar about it. *sigh*
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.nAUght47 wrote:
tons of wrongness

Excuse me, but I think your fanboy is showing (and by showing I mean you're slapping it in everyone's faces). You may wanna tone that down just a weee bit.

Anyway printed off my last essay of the semester earlier today, I swear to god if I have to write another page about the white washing of history of the War in Europe and genocide in the Balkans I'm just going to quit (Finals for upper division history majors are always so optimistic aren't they...), and tried to turn it in but my professor wasn't at her office when she said she would be for turn ins. There was nowhere in sight to turn in our final, and the main history office was closed so there was nowhere for me to get it delivered to her eventually (with a timestamp that is), and so I simply sent her an email and slid it under her office door.

And now I simply hope and pray that it somehow: A. doesn't get lost by a janitor accidentally sweeping it up, or B. she not believe me and count it as late.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rant: honestly, I'm kind of irked that my rant regarding folks who call others out for "redundant" words in acronym phrases got deleted. I mean, it was pretty genial as rants go. I don't think it was off-topic - where are rants to go if not the Rant Thread, right? The only person I could see having a strong case for actively railing against it would be MehPlusRawr, who effectively inspired the commentary, and he didn't seem to express any ill will or anything. I actually put a non-zero amount of time into that post, thinking up a handful of salient examples and how best to present them... and now it's been turned into so much cyberdust. If some Power That Be feels like sharing an explanation, feel free to message me or something. Because if there was a lesson that I was supposed to learn from this series of actions, I am absolutely oblivious.

Anthony8 wrote:
Also, best friends are like relationships. You still need that spark to get them to be interested in you, just not romantically. Whatever I discuss with Elvin is redundant, or he can't add onto my experience by saying something similar about it. *sigh*

[nods] Someone more experienced than I observed "relationships have a lifespan" - not just romantic relationships, but platonic ones as well. People change as they mature. People's interests drift, and priorities shift, and kinships that came so naturally at one point can require work - and sometimes become more work than they're worth - as time marches on.

To wit: Jeff was my absolute best friend in high school. We played some interminably gigantic quantity of deathmatch DOOM, and micro-analyzed the actions of girls we were respectively interested in, and otherwise served as each others' therapists / wingmen / blood brothers. He was a groomsman in my wedding! But time marches on. He moved to Eugene, twelve hours' drive up the road, and began making friends and setting down roots there. Conversations that once happened twice a week now take place twice a year. He found a wife, and fathered a child, and just generally has Other Things going on that take precedence. I was invited to his wedding, but I was not a groomsman; he had others he was close to he could tab for that role. Jeff's still a super-awesome dude - and he's still a person I would go to the ends of the earth for - but I'm no longer in that tight-knit inner-circle of friendship anymore.

And I suppose the feeling is mutual. When I have crushing DEFCON 1 events happen to me, Jeff isn't the first person I get in touch with to share all the juicy details. (I think it took him like three months to hear about my divorce; man, THAT was an awkward conversation.) Which is a little sad, I guess, but hey, it happens. People change. Time marches on. Such is the way of the world.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
Rant: honestly, I'm kind of irked that my rant regarding folks who call others out for "redundant" words in acronym phrases got deleted.
I'm really surprised your post got deleted. Any time you post people side with you like crazy. At this point you could punch a swan in the nose and people would just congratulate you on your technique.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rant: Can we just have minimalist modding, please?

Removing posts that actually contain content, permarockering me because there is nothing else you can do (without, at least, confirming my not-so-subtle allegations that modding is being oh-so-slightly overdone), banning people for stupid-ass reasons. These things are killing SH.

Guitar Hero is dead. Rhythm gaming hasn't been cool for quite a long time. RB's side is still more or less alive and well because of RBN, but there aren't gonna be more countdowns or posts that Psychobilly Freakout will be harder than Jordan.

So, why, then, does anyone stay on this site? Habit. Familiarity. Posters have familiar usernames, GC threads on occasion are funny or useful. We're probably not gonna get any more new active forum users.

Well, I personally think that nobody's going to leave this site because a thread had too low of a content-to-noise ratio, unless everything changes drastically.

I do think that people will leave if perfectly innocuous posts are removed and people are punished for nothing at all, the number of active users will dwindle.

BDP, can you please come down from the heavens, the hills, wherever you live, and say "hey, this is why I keep removing all these posts!" or something? We'd be a lot happier if you explained the intent behind everything you've been doing.
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit, double post

i will use this to rant about how my cat keeps jumping on me, my keyboard, and unplugging things while still being super cute

ugh
newuser1234  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:

Guitar Hero is dead. Rhythm gaming hasn't been cool for quite a long time.

when has it ever been cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newuser1234 wrote:
MehPlusRawr wrote:

Guitar Hero is dead. Rhythm gaming hasn't been cool for quite a long time.

when has it ever been cool

DDR was cool and don't you ever tell me anything different.

GH was the party game for quite a while, and RB cashed in on some of that, too.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more troubling the fact that a huge anti-Rock Band rant (which could be argued as being a flame bait) and all of the replies were left up, whereas the light-hearted youhas post was removed. Something has gone awry when this sort of thing happens.

Being well liked on the site shouldn't exempt anyone from certain rules, obviously, but those rules need to either be made clear or stop being enforced. I can't imagine why those comments were removed and I know others are equally puzzled.

(Also, we don't know if it was bdp. It could be anyone, but an explanation would be nice.)

1KJ08mq.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 42 of 60

Jump to: