ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Harmonix donates $2,000: Server upgrade on the way!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Thread Hall of Fame
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tma  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
So I'll need to transfer the DNS and run both the web and database locally on the new machine. This will likely mean some downtime for the site during DNS propagation.

To reduce the downtime, set the TTL on the A record(s) to a very low value, say 300 seconds (5 mins), NOW, and wait the current TTL x 2 to allow the new TTL to propagate out. Then your changeover will only take 10 mins (TTL x 2). After it's all settled you can put your TTLs back to normal (typically it's a day). I hope that makes sense.

I'm a system administrator by day and deal with DNS regularly. Let me know if you need any clarification.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good idea, I will make that change now. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
Ok, I've now got the new server and for those who have been asking it's a 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron 2216 (2 x 2 x 2.4 GHz) with 8 GB RAM. The machine is setup and mostly configured with a test copy of the site currently running with upgraded database software (MySQL 5.0). It's much faster, but still not fast enough and I'd like to take this opportunity of having a test environment without any user load to make a number of additional modifications to the system to make it even faster.

Additionally, the new machine is unfortunately in a different physical location than the current machine such that the network latency between them is 40ms. This pretty much rules out my original plan to keep the web server on the old machine and access the database remotely. So I'll need to transfer the DNS and run both the web and database locally on the new machine. This will likely mean some downtime for the site during DNS propagation.

After another day or two of testing and benchmarking I will make another announcement with my final plan before proceeding.

I'm not gonna pretend I know what any of that means, but thanks for the update dude.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
JCirri  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my interface through 1&1 apparently doesn't allow me to update the SOA record, so I can't change the TTL. But after thinking a bit, I should be able to eliminate the downtime by having a simple redirect page to the new IP until the DNS changes propogate completely.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
Well my interface through 1&1 apparently doesn't allow me to update the SOA record, so I can't change the TTL. But after thinking a bit, I should be able to eliminate the downtime by having a simple redirect page to the new IP until the DNS changes propogate completely.

DNS records can have their own TTLs independent of the SOA TTL. You may be able to set it that way instead.

If you redirect to the IP make sure that ScoreHero is the default site for the new web server otherwise it'll get confused.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
stephit  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
Ok, I've now got the new server and for those who have been asking it's a 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron 2216 (2 x 2 x 2.4 GHz) with 8 GB RAM. The machine is setup and mostly configured with a test copy of the site currently running with upgraded database software (MySQL 5.0). It's much faster, but still not fast enough and I'd like to take this opportunity of having a test environment without any user load to make a number of additional modifications to the system to make it even faster.

Additionally, the new machine is unfortunately in a different physical location than the current machine such that the network latency between them is 40ms. This pretty much rules out my original plan to keep the web server on the old machine and access the database remotely. So I'll need to transfer the DNS and run both the web and database locally on the new machine. This will likely mean some downtime for the site during DNS propagation.

After another day or two of testing and benchmarking I will make another announcement with my final plan before proceeding.

what was the old server stats?

and is the new server up and running on the site now?
eXcelon969  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicked in another 57$ to get me back on the main page (top 5) and give JC some money for energy drinks / pizza / etc to get this thing going!!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that server up because this website is zooming.

Well it was at the time of post. Not so much anymore though. :(

Last edited by MaximusDM on Tue May 29, 2007 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: DefiedAnEmperor PSN Name: MaximusDM
Torchy  

Location: Indiana / Kentucky, U.S.A. (or aboard U.S.S. Moisthero)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:

Uhhh....

-thumbs up, blank stare- K

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not much but I just made my first donation of $20, now I can get the status image and can't wait for the new server.
juniormint84  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torchy wrote:
JCirri wrote:

Uhhh....

-thumbs up, blank stare- K

Ditto.
JayHL  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so metal.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eXcelon969 wrote:
kicked in another 57$ to get me back on the main page (top 5) and give JC some money for energy drinks / pizza / etc to get this thing going!!

Haha, thanks. I could very well use some more caffeine these last few days.

I've been working nonstop on a major structural change to the database which has shown absolutely amazing performance benefits without sacrificing any dynamic content. If everything works as planned, I think you will all be very pleased with the result. The end is in sight, and I'll post more information when it's complete.

/back to work

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting excited!!

edit: whoa, 1500th post...
methinkso  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. When it comes time to integrate the new server, do you have any estimate of how much down-time there'll be (either the score database and/or forums)?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Thread Hall of Fame All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Copyright © 2006-2024 ScoreHero, LLC
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy