ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official Unofficial PC building thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:
New build time!

CPU: i7-4770K Haswell
Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro
GFX: XFX Radeon 7970HD 3Gb GHz Edition
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR3
Case: Silverstone RV03
PSU: Corsair HX850
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Plextor M5 Pro 250Gb

Cost: A lot. I've been saving up for this puppy for a while. May post pics once it all arrives and I get it built.

Duuuuude, imagine what you could run with that thing! Like, NetHack and Crawl AT THE SAME TIME!

Oh, I'll be Nethacking the hell out of it. Still haven't ascended Knight or Healer...

Nah, seriously, the graphics card comes with a free Bioshock Infinite so I'll be playing that for starters.

Nah, seriously, I still need to finish my Nethack set.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knights are really fucking easy in my experience, they just start out beating the shit out of everything and don't really ever stop. I'd honestly put them right behind valks in a difficulty ranking.

Also, do it.

You should use #NetHack on freenode!
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
New build time!

CPU: i7-4770K Haswell
Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro
GFX: XFX Radeon 7970HD 3Gb GHz Edition
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR3
Case: Silverstone RV03
PSU: Corsair HX850
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Plextor M5 Pro 250Gb

Cost: A lot. I've been saving up for this puppy for a while. May post pics once it all arrives and I get it built.

Get the Geforce GTX 770 instead. The card JUST got released, it is a bit more performance for the exact same price, and from my experience from owning my ATI 6950, games like nVidia more.
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#nethack is about the only reason I ever even install mIRC any more. ;-) Knights annoy me more than any actual difficulty involved - being called a caitiff every time you whack a kobold with a sword sucks and Excalibur is a bit pants in the late game. (Valks are probably easiest early on, although I always recommend starting as a Barb until you work out which are the poisonous corpses.)

nVidia cards may get on better with games, but they've never got on that well with me - I've always had far more problems with them than any comparable ATI - and besides, the 7970 comes with a free Bioshock Infinite (and is due to arrive in about an hour).

"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
#nethack is about the only reason I ever even install mIRC any more. ;-) Knights annoy me more than any actual difficulty involved - being called a caitiff every time you whack a kobold with a sword sucks and Excalibur is a bit pants in the late game. (Valks are probably easiest early on, although I always recommend starting as a Barb until you work out which are the poisonous corpses.)

nVidia cards may get on better with games, but they've never got on that well with me - I've always had far more problems with them than any comparable ATI - and besides, the 7970 comes with a free Bioshock Infinite (and is due to arrive in about an hour).

Ah ok, yeah this is true. Let me know how the system runs
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:

Ah ok, yeah this is true. Let me know how the system runs
DragonForcefana  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've taken a picture when we were putting the new parts in.
I had this originally stock.
http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCPP2.003
I'm glad that when I found some reviews about upgrading, people were saying it's a pretty good budget gaming PC.

Just about 2 or so weeks ago my aunt, grandfather and I put in an EVGA GeForce gtx 660 graphics card and a 500W power supply. Now all my games look much better than before. I had 800x600 resolution fullscreen on some games and just turning off everything for others. It was so horrible.
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:

Woo, new speed record, realtime and turns!

Jesus fuck what just happened to the last 8 hours.
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, finally got it all built and configured and updated; here is the Facebook photo album. (I apologise for my shit photography; the S4 is an awesome phone but not a great camera.)

Ran the Bioshock Infinite benchmark, fixed the graphics drivers (stupid AMD Overdrive not knowing how to set the speed on the fans), reran it, and clocked average 87 FPS at 1920x1200 Ultra. Some of the more evil MAME ROMs will be the next big test (I've never got Ridge Racer running properly); that one stretches the CPU a lot more than the graphics.

That Nethack run is insane. I don't know how speed ascenders do it; I usually end up around 70-80k turns (probably by sacrificing everything in sight and having no luck with gifts).

Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, may not just be the drivers being stupid. Trying to run Bioshock properly and I get about three minutes of play before it freezes, blinks and boots me out saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Checked it with GPU-Z running in the background and the system's having a strop as soon as the GPU hits about 65 degrees.

As I understand it, 65 is not a particularly panicky level; before I manually overrode the settings, the drivers' automated fan control didn't start turning it up from the default 20% speed until it got to the 60s. Do I have a dead card or an overly paranoid and shit driver?

Squirrel  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Okay, may not just be the drivers being stupid. Trying to run Bioshock properly and I get about three minutes of play before it freezes, blinks and boots me out saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Checked it with GPU-Z running in the background and the system's having a strop as soon as the GPU hits about 65 degrees.

As I understand it, 65 is not a particularly panicky level; before I manually overrode the settings, the drivers' automated fan control didn't start turning it up from the default 20% speed until it got to the 60s. Do I have a dead card or an overly paranoid and shit driver?

Check out ATITool. Kick on the 3D interface, and have your temperature program open. If it locks again at 65C, I'd get it RMA'ed. My ATI 6950 has hit 100C before and it kept on playing. Of course once I found out what was going on I lowered the overclock, but 65C is a normal GPU temp.
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:

Check out ATITool. Kick on the 3D interface, and have your temperature program open. If it locks again at 65C, I'd get it RMA'ed. My ATI 6950 has hit 100C before and it kept on playing. Of course once I found out what was going on I lowered the overclock, but 65C is a normal GPU temp.

ATITool reckons it doesn't support the latest cards, but I've run it through OCCT and got the same results; as soon as it hits 65C it gives up. Had GPU-Z and the ATI CCC temperature sensors all running as well, which all said the same thing.

XFX's tech support have said "try it in another machine and if that fails RMA it" (my uncle's PC - my old one - should support it); I've told the supplier's tech team to brace for an exchange. If I do have to swap it, I may very well go 770 (I've already activated the free games from the 7970 ).

Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post NARF
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:

ATITool reckons it doesn't support the latest cards, but I've run it through OCCT and got the same results; as soon as it hits 65C it gives up. Had GPU-Z and the ATI CCC temperature sensors all running as well, which all said the same thing.

XFX's tech support have said "try it in another machine and if that fails RMA it" (my uncle's PC - my old one - should support it); I've told the supplier's tech team to brace for an exchange. If I do have to swap it, I may very well go 770 (I've already activated the free games from the 7970 ).

You should have said without a hesitation that you already did, to help speed up the RMA process.
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after a week and a half I finally found out what was taking the RMA so damn long - they'd run out of that card so couldn't send me a replacement. Good of them to let me know.

Pricks.

I've told them to send me the 1050MHz edition instead. It should arrive tomorrow; if that craps out too I'll say fuck it and get a 770.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: