ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Learning to play drums. Need help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Learning to play drums. Need help. Reply with quote

Noob drummer inbound! Haha, I'm terrible at starting new topics. Anyway, I am learning to get better at drums. I'm playing on Expert, and I kinda suck. I need some tips and advice on how to get better at drums. I'm currently playing through GHM & WT setlists, if that's any help.

I've also noticed that sometimes when I hit my kick pedal, sometimes it overhits (if that is the correct term for it). It's probably some technique thing that I'm doing wrong, but I want to know how to stop it.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing heel up or heel down? And do you keep the pedal pressed down when you're not using it?

Actually for that matter are you using a RB or GH set?
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the WT setlist is the best one to start learning drums. There's a lot of variety for drummers in any skill-range and that's where I started as well (and believe me, I wasn't any good when I started either :P); the GH:M setlist is quite the opposite in that regard. The best way to get better imo is just to have fun and don't think about getting better all the time. Set yourself goals als 5-starring a certain song or getting X*10 FCs in total. You could use my Drums FC breakdown for reference: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102316#GHWTdrums

As for the drum pedal issue, I think it's most probably too sensitive. If you're using a GH kit, I'd recommend downloading the GH kit tuner to tune your kit's sensitivity values. It was possible to get the necessary wiring from some Red Octane site, but any MIDI-USB cable should do the trick.
| Banners link to videos/scores | YouTube Account | GH Accomplishments | RB Accomplishments | Song left for FSFC: Space Truckin' (-1)
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
Are you playing heel up or heel down? And do you keep the pedal pressed down when you're not using it?

I play heel up, and I do keep the kick pedal presses down when it's not in use.

I play a GH drum kit. I despise RB kits.

@WarlordTm: with the bass pedal thing, it's probably just because I'm hitting it too hard, because it's not doing it all the time, just when I'm being too aggressive with my playing.

In regards to GHM, I found it be incredibly helpful with learning the bass drum. A few songs use a lot of kicks on expert, and it's really helpful with learning some of those odd bass patterns that I've encountered which really screw with my timing.

I'm also really wanting to get a second kick pedal so I can do expert+, but I think that it's best that I stay on expert until get better with the single kick pedal. Because there are some songs on expert that seem to have really stupidly fast double kicks in them (What I Got, Streamline Woman have been a few noticeable ones).

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.nAUght47 wrote:
Nubnut wrote:

I play a GH drum kit. I despise RB kits.

There's your answer there, Guitar Hero kits are notoriously finicky when it comes to the bass pedal especially if you keep it pressed down. I got overhits constantly using a GH kit/pedal.

With that being said I think you're taking the right approach sticking with one foot for now as it takes a while to get used to having your left foot be independent. Also I'll toss in a vote for GH 5 being my favorite game drum wise, and if you want to learn limb independence I'd suggest doing songs like Young Funk and Back Round. Both will probably kick your ass but they'll be great for learning.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:

There's your answer there, Guitar Hero kits are notoriously finicky when it comes to the bass pedal especially if you keep it pressed down. I got overhits constantly using a GH kit/pedal.

I see what you mean... that pedal is really starting to piss me off now. I could've FC'd something if it wasn't for that blasted thing. Is this a problem with only GH pedals? Could I get a RB pedal and not have this issue?

Another thing I've noticed with the overhits is that they do not happen in the WT-era games as NEAR as much when compared to GH5 and GHWoR. That something I've noticed with my playing, at least. I rarely get overhits in WT, M and VH, while they happen all the frickin' time in GH5 and WoR.

Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya you should never get overhits with a RB pedal as it's trigger based rather than sensor based, unless of course you get a defective RB pedal.

However, finding a working Rock Band drumset these days is another story.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH:WT like Tim said. It's always been my favorite, and it's a range of songs is not boring. GH:M and the others blend together too much.

But first thing first is to get your drums calibrated and make sure its not an actual sensor issue. If the Midi/Usb cord didnt come with it you might still be able to send away for it for free (although unlikely since it's what 5 years old now?) if not you can probably pick one up either online or in a radioshack/music store.

Check your kick pedal to make sure its not cracked--happened to mine recently after it was overkicking quite a bit. One thing that helped a pedal of mine was taking off the rubber stopper on top of the sensor area (not the same cracked one )

If you're going through either my of Tim's FC breakdown lists and get bored, try pushing yourself with harder songs. Ones where you can 5 star but have bad percentages. If you're lacking limb independence, try songs where kicks are between hi-hats/snares.

WT has songs like Today with the pattern:

that shows up a lot in songs. Learning those early helps.

Float On with the RLRL sticking on the hi-hat

American Woman for helping with the kick drum muscle memory (and boy did I hate this song for that when I was learning)

Beat It helps your right arm out endurance wise

The Joker has a little bit of everything, I recommend going for this first.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: