ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
DJ Hero Controller Ghost Tap Fix Guide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenolord87  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: DJ Hero Controller Ghost Tap Fix Guide Reply with quote

Hey guys, here is the guide for fixing your DJ Hero turntable from doing ghost notes. But let me off saying this first.

The reason controllers start doing this in the first place is because of fast spinning like..when you are waiting for a song to load, and you just spin the ever living crap out of the turntable enough to make it sound like a revving engine. THIS is what causes the controllers to start acting up. The reason being is because what we will be working on to fix this problem can be described like this, There is 6 "grooves" with what looks like copper wire inside the hub (The black semi-spinning knob that has the wires running through on both sides). Inside of that is where the problem lies. Anywho, when you spin the turntable mad fast to the point of it sounding like a 747, the copper wires come off their track inside the hub, which causes the turntable sensors to then misread what the controller is actually doing. Now, for the actual guide.

Here is what you will need.

1.DJ Hero Controller (Duh)

2.About an hour of your time

3.Flat head screwdriver

4.Needle Nose Pliers

5.Sewing Needle (Kind of small, but one you can actually hold onto)

Step 1-Start by taking your controller apart, to do this take the crossfader hub off of the turntable, flip the controller upside down and remove the screws. There should be 4 screws inside of the rubber feet, 2 screws near the edge where the crossfader plugs in, and 5 screws in a circle shape.

Step 2-After taking all the screws out, put them in a safe place where you will not lose them. Then slowly pull up on the underside of the controller, it should pull up away from the top of the controller fairly easy.

Step 3-When pulling up, the reason I say SLOWLY pull up is because the wires inside are connected and you do not want to jerk these wires loose. When you pull this piece up set it off to the side the best you can and then you will notice another plastic piece which in my controller was white, it might be a different color in yours, but it is another piece of plastic that covers the "Hub". You will need to take these 4 screws out and sit this piece off to the side as well.

Step 4-After SLOWLY pulling this piece up and over to the side, you will see the "Hub". It can rotate in a half circle either way to the left or right and will have wires coming from the left and right side of it going up into the actual turntable itself. You should also see a metal plate at the base of the "Hub" with 5 more screws. Take them out, It looks like the hub should come off now, but it don't. There are a few more steps to do before this can be done.

Step 5-If you look around the bottom of the actual turntable you will see even MORE holes for screws, take these out and slowly separate the platter.

Step 6-You should now be in electronics central for the platter. Seeing wires and a large metal plate that will have a serial number of some kind on it. If you see this, you are in the right place! On the bottom piece of the platter that you separated, where the wires run through, you should see one of two things.

1.What looks like a hill of glue and the wires coming out
2.A C-Clamp with wires running out.

If you see what looks like glue and wires coming out of it, use a flathead screwdriver to strip the glue off. Underneath the glue you will see a C-Clamp holding everything together.

Step 7-After finding the C-Clamp, use a flathead or needlenose pliers, whichever you prefer, and take the C-Clamp off and set it to the side, be careful not to lose it.

Step 8-After setting the clamp aside you will see the metal of the "hub" sticking through, it was a gold color for my controller, yours may vary. Push down on the metal to pop the "hub" out from the plastic. When you do, the metal on the other side that you unscrewed will come with it so watch your private areas ;).

Step 9-You're almost done! But the bad news is, this is the hardest part. Take the "hub" in your hand and look at it, you see what looks like latches on the two sides that the wires are not running through? This is going to seem impossible, but you'll get it. Here is what you need to do, take your flathead and wedge it inside of those windows on the side, push up on it while pushing down on the part of the "hub" that sticks out into a circle. Basically, push down on the circular part of the "hub" while pulling up with your screwdriver in the little holes on the side. This might take you a good 10-15 minutes but trust me, you can do it. You might stab yourself with a screwdriver once or twice also. Just giving fair warning. Oh, and if one of the little pieces of plastic that are in the windows you are pulling up with your screwdriver on breaks, it's not a big deal, you don't need them.

Step 10-After you have the two pieces separated, you will see on the "hub" two windows on the side where you can see what looks like 6 grooves on both sides, a spring in the back, and 6 thin strands of what looks to be copper wiring. This is where you need the sewing needle. and THIS is where the problem is that is making your controller ghost tap. Look in the windows there and look for any of the copper wires that are not on track, or that is not an equal distance away from each other. Once you find the one wire or two wires even that are out of place, use the sewing needle to pick up the wire and move it back to it's track.

Step 11-After you have done this, put everything back together, including the C-Clamp. If you don't, ya you can still use your turntable, but you will not be able to flip it upside down or else the platter will fall off the base, which you do NOT want.

After doing all of this go test your controller out and see if it works or not at the menu by spinning it and seeing if it triggers a ghost tap. Remember, don't spin is OMGWTFBBQZ fast, but spin it like you would during a non 720 rewind. If it works, congrats! If not, you will need to open the controller back up and look harder at the copper wires, ONE of them is off track and you need to REALLY look and find the one that is.

If this works for you, (which it should) please post on here. I am open to any flaming you may have if this doesn't work because I am almost 100% positive this will work for you. Thanks for reading and happy scratching!
ADAMAZiD  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying this fix right now. However, I used a little too much force taking out the hub and one of the wires come undone, so I'm going to resolder that and report the progress back. This fix does seem like it will work though!

Edit: Confirmed working! Pictures up soon
Xenolord87  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that this is working for you!! The pics that you post would also help along with the guide. Seeing as how I don't have a digicam to take pics with, this will be a great help. Thanks!
Minjachaunurai  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I have a question... What turntable did you do this on? Like, did it come from the party bundle of 2? I think they may have switched up the design a little bit, I'm not sure...

I probably should have waited for the pictures... Lol. I think I just broke mine.
icassu  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried taking apart the crossfader part of the controller? Tempted to try and change the colour of the Euphoria button light on mine.

EDIT: I just did. Turns out the Euphoria button is lit by a miniature LED embedded right into the PCB, so would be quite a challenge to change!
siimbulan  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plz help... after i take the E-clip out, i cant take the spindle thing out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: