ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Resurrected CECHE01 Fat PS3 with 3.30 OFW - Upgrade or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Resurrected CECHE01 Fat PS3 with 3.30 OFW - Upgrade or not? Reply with quote

Looking for some serious input here. Recently I finally fixed my old 80GB Backwards Compatible PS3 that had been collecting dust in a closet for 5 years after getting YLOD. I could never bear to toss it and now I'm glad cause it became cheap to fix and now it's working like new so now I have two working PS3s, a fat and a slim.

The old PS3 is the CECHE01, this is the 80GB version with 4 USB ports plus card readers and software-driven backwards compatibility. It's the second best model out there, the CECHA01 is more sought after because it plays 100% of PS2 games versus my model which plays like 95% of them, but I prefer the one I have for the extra versatility of the card readers and extra usb ports.

Anyway here's the question. When I fixed it and booted it up I found that it had OFW 3.30 firmware on it. This carries with it certain advantages in this it can do that updated firmwares cannot, but also there are a lot of things I cannot do unless I update the firmware. I'm on the fence whether or not to update. Here are the pro's and con's of updating:

Reasons Not To Update
  • Old firmware supports custom firmware, but I know virtually nothing about it, or why I'd want to do it. I'm not interested in playing pirated titles.
  • Console with old firmware is still worth some money, so I could sell it, but at ~$200 value it's not really worth selling to me. Shipping a fat PS3 is expensive. If I could sell it for > $350 I'd consider it, but only the CECHA01's are currently fetching that.
  • Firmware this old still plays backed up movies with Cinavia watermark. This is a huge plus. On the other hand I need to update to play newer titles.

Reasons To Update To Newest OFW
  • Can't get on PSN without updating, which is huge, cause I can't download ANYTHING. No PSN titles, no DLC.
  • Though I can play backed up Blu Rays, I can't play most newer original Blu-Ray discs unless I update. But if I do, no more playing backed up Cinavia titles. (Including via media server)
  • Some game titles won't play unless I update the firmware
  • Cant use Netflix or other apps because I need PSN to add them to the XMB

My slim is currently the main machine in the living room and the fat is connected to the bedroom TV. Currently all I can really use it for is media server (which is redundant because I have a chromecast on that TV) and playing older backed up movies. It has nothing on the hard drive (since I cant download from PSN) and some newer PS3 discs wont play without updating.
buMf00d  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want to do with it. I've always regretted updating my modded PS3 to OFW.

Seeing as you already have another PS3 I'd just sell this one as long as the offer is right.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jailbreak it. go custom !

I've tried to fix my 60gb model 3 times and it worked couple of days before going YLOD again. I was able to save my save games with the PS+ option before buying a new again. I still have it because i'd really like to get it fixed and use it as a blu-ray player downstair but it would have to be a full reball I think which is costly.

what method did you used ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
jailbreak it. go custom !

I've tried to fix my 60gb model 3 times and it worked couple of days before going YLOD again. I was able to save my save games with the PS+ option before buying a new again. I still have it because i'd really like to get it fixed and use it as a blu-ray player downstair but it would have to be a full reball I think which is costly.

what method did you used ?
I had a local guy with a repair shop near me do the work. They take it apart, resolder the disconnected chips, replace the thermal paste, dust and clean the boards, and put it back together.

I had it done a couple months ago and it's still fine, but I haven't done anything resource intensive with it. GTAIV was the one that really kicked it's ass before it died.

I plan on using this PS3 mainly as a media player - Blu Rays, DVDs, streaming, media server, etc. But I'd also like to install some smaller classic games to play off of the hard drive. On the rare occaison when I want to play a PS2 game I'd also like to be able to use it for that. Too bad you can't play GH1/2/80s. (The games play but the controllers aren't recognized).

I haven't really found any compelling reason to jailbreak it. Other than pirated game playing which I dont care about, what are the advantages of jailbreaking, considering what I want to do with it?
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainly piracy. if it's spare console and wont play much ps3 games. i'd do it.

or simply sell it stating it's an OFW 3.30 and you should be able to get a pretty nice amount for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there no other reason to keep it as is than piracy and selling it? Again if I could make $350+ I'd sell it and buy a PS4 but at $200 or below (which is much more likely) it's worth more to me as is...but updating is permanent so I want to make sure there's no reason to keep it as is other than playing burned games.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with old ps3 is that you never know when they're gonna blow up. they all will blow up one day, even if properly maintained. thats why I wouldnt count on it for playing ps3 games. i'd use it as a server or play retro stuff and toying with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this:
http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36432
Since you have an older firmware, you could put a jailbroken firmware on it, and thus have access to Rock Band customs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to spammer, I can say that i had my old fat ps3 repaired last spring. i forgot how much noise these made compared to super slim ! I hacked it on 4.82 and can run customs now. not quite as easy as it looks but it works flawlessly.

not using for official stuff, but i had to try since it's a spare console anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And FYI I ended up updating it and keeping it.
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabanon wrote:
thanks to spammer, I can say that i had my old fat ps3 repaired last spring. i forgot how much noise these made compared to super slim ! I hacked it on 4.82 and can run customs now. not quite as easy as it looks but it works flawlessly.

not using for official stuff, but i had to try since it's a spare console anyway.

Delid the CPU and GPU, the thermal splooge underneath is probably all dried by now
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertman123 wrote:
Cabanon wrote:

Delid the CPU and GPU, the thermal splooge underneath is probably all dried by now

thanks for asking but yes it was done. I had it repaired at a specialized shop and it's included i their process as long as replacing all the non-led balls with led balls if im not mistaken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: