Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
3-fret chord concern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astat  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, there's a trend GH has set as far as "weird" chords go. Pretty much all the standard interval chords in a song (whether they be major, minor, or powerchords) use 2 buttons. 3-button chords are seen a lot more when you get 7th, 9th, sus2, sus4, and other weird interval chords involved (Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart is a great example), or at the very end of songs (Free Bird).

The same thing kinda applied in GH1 as well with the GB and RO chords, you rarely saw them unless they were part of some kind of odd part. The double string bends in Texas Flood and the ending of Cheat on the Church where the guitar is doubled an octave higher are a couple examples I can think of.

Yes, when you play powerchords on a real guitar, you're often using your index, ring, and pinky fingers, but that still only translates to 2 frets, and any powerchord is still the same without the 3rd string, it's still a root and fifth just without the root being doubled an octave higher. There really is no need to represent powerchords in GH as 3-note chords. There's only 5 frets to work with in the first place, so why take up more of the limited fretboard space just to have more "accurate" chords? I understand that some people like the challenge, but I think it's missing the point when 3-button chords are really better left to the odd-sounding chords in the guitar parts.

GH1 Hard FCs: 41/47
GH2 Hard FCs: 41/64
GH80s Hard FCs: 16/30
skywilliam  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
skywilliam wrote:
Now, this I find problems with cause you're saying 6 string chords can't be played cause there are only 5 buttons. As if to say that each string represents a fret button. But I've always thought of the fret buttons as frets you use on a guitar.

i said 6 buttons, not six strings .

this post wasn't criticism towards custom songs either, everybody's done a good job and put a lot of work into these, do what you like.

hehe yeah, you did. If you were quoting the exact line you said. But, then your previous sentence confuses the reader.

ES942 wrote:
when you play these chords, you play 6, 5, and 4 strings respectively. 6 button chords cannot be played, because, well, there's only 5 buttons. 5 button chord(s) cannot be played, because there's only one available. 4 button chords *should* not be played, because there is only *5* of them possible of playing on the SG.

forgive the bold on all sections... got lazy. You first said 6,5,4 strings, then went to buttons. It's an honest mistake. And no, generally, you won't find a chord that uses more than 4 fingers held down. So no 5 and espectially 6 button chords. Easy enough, with only 5 buttons. (Unless you're Jeff Healy :P)

I still stand by that 4 fret button chords are not that far out of the park. If they are used correctly (as in the tab or sheet music you're referancing) then it makes sence. And I would NOT be surprized to see them in the future GH games. It is up to the editor to make their decisions. Some will refuse to play the songs based on personal belief, but if it's a good chart, I will play anything.

The point of the game is FUN. But if I play a chart that doesn't feel correct, then it's no longer fun. Which is the reason I don't play easy, medium and hard for most songs anymore. Unless the song is just utterly difficult for my own skill. Jordan I'll still play on hard for the fact I cannot pass the song on expert. But that's a whole other discussion.

ES, wasn't trying to get under skin, just trying to make myself more clear. ^)^
brandyn  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something to think about here.

I can bet any money that if someone made a chart a while ago with a GBO chord, it would have been frowned upon by the custom song community, and would have been called a ridiculous chord, etc. But now one of them showed up in Dead! for the 360. Red Octane is always trying new weird things, and we're all gonna be amazed at what they pull out next. What happens if GH uses a four note chord in the future? Does that automatically make it okay to custom a song with one now?

I'm pretty much in the middle of the argument. I don't think there is anything wrong with three note chord heavy songs, but if they are out of place, they are out of place. Like, think of how many three note chords are in the rhythm sections of songs like Jessica and Freebird. Now what if you want to make a rhythm heavy songs, like John Butler's Ocean. Of course you're gonna stick a good number of three note chords in there.

But I think there's a big point we're missing. We're making custom songs to extend on what Red Octane, not to be Red Octane. We're putting the songs in our own hands, and making charts based around what we like to play. If someone like to play three note chords, why stop them? I mean, if we don't like someone else's mid cause it has too much of something or the wrong chord, then we can stop complaining and change it ourselves (that's not to say we shouldn't give them some constructive critism). That's what I'm doing with 99 Red Ballon and Here it Goes Again.
trickster009  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, what I think about 3-note chords is that the number of change-ups using them is more important than how many there are. For instance, if the real song uses a heavy chord during a breakdown and just keeps jamming on that chord, I see no reason not to use a 3-note chord in GH to represent this - it doesn't really make the song that much more difficult; and maybe this chord only changes every couple of measures. That seems fine with me. What throws me is when you have to alternate between four different 3-note chords in two beats at 200 beats per minute... at that point, it becomes seriously painful to playability, in my opinion, especially if it happens several times during the song. Just my 2 cents.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally bump stuff like this but this thread highly amuses me in 2016, especially given the high-end customs scene. Shows how things can change in 9 years.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
UltraHeroABC5  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LocalH wrote:
I don't normally bump stuff like this but this thread highly amuses me in 2016, especially given the high-end customs scene. Shows how things can change in 9 years.

Very true LocalH, even the same as newer setlist songs. This thread was made at the time of gh2, so yeah, there was no tap notes or anything. Now, there's four note chords in setlist songs, and even four note chords in sustain style (like the one in santeria or on the road again), they were pretty common for WT+, and there was fancy chords like GYO (cathedral, etc) and GBO (that children of bodom song on gh5)

and yeah, damn, 9 years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: