ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Trogdor TV's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihatebarracuda  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Trogdor TV's Reply with quote

So I have a question for those of you who have FCed Trogdor on Expert. This would be for NTSC players who had to use SwapMagic or some other method to get the FC on PAL.

What the hell TV did you use? Can you give me a brand name and model #?

I have tried this on 10+ TV's, various brands and both HD and CRT. One of the below always happens:

--Changing to PAL messes up the display to the point where the game is unplayable. This is by far the most common scenario.

--The display is fine (usually black and white or otherwise a little messed up, but playable) but changing to PAL introduces so much display lag that the game is unplayable even with calibration. This happens even if the TV has 0 lag in NTSC mode.

--There is enough lag to be annoying, but the game is at least playable. I'll still miss dumb things more often than I should due to the lag. I've only found 1 TV that did this. Can't remember the brand/model, it was my friend's TV, so I don't exactly have access to it to grind out the FC.

I'm ready to buy a cheap TV to get the FC at this point. But I don't want to just randomly buy TV's since it seems like 99% of them don't work.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
cowabanga  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent choice of CRT would be some kind of broadcast monitor (Sony Trinitron or the JVC TM models for example), they're known to take any region signal without input lag but cost more than the average used CRT TV since they were made for TV broadcasts. They also tend to be smaller in size (around 10 inches across) which means a lot more people will ship them if you were to buy them online.

Only caveat is that instead of the normal RCA inputs they use BNC connectors for video, but you can simply use a passive adapter on the end of your cables to deal with that (some of them also support S-video directly).
ihatebarracuda  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowabanga wrote:
A decent choice of CRT would be some kind of broadcast monitor (Sony Trinitron or the JVC TM models for example), they're known to take any region signal without input lag but cost more than the average used CRT TV since they were made for TV broadcasts. They also tend to be smaller in size (around 10 inches across) which means a lot more people will ship them if you were to buy them online.

Only caveat is that instead of the normal RCA inputs they use BNC connectors for video, but you can simply use a passive adapter on the end of your cables to deal with that (some of them also support S-video directly).

Thanks! I was able to find a relatively cheap Trinitron on Ebay that says it accepts both region signals. Kind of spendy just to FC Trogdor, but looks like it will be great for some retro gaming too.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
cowabanga  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're mostly known for retro games these days, they've got some excellent features for getting the best colour and quality out of them so I guess it's for a good reason.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a JVC D-Series CRT. Component input, and could sync to 50Hz. Best damn set I ever owned. TextureOfCouch FC'd Trogdor on it, absolutely no lag.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
cowabanga  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: FCed Trogdor three times, on a Sony Bravia KDL-40L4000. I think as long as you can get a PAL signal it doesn't matter what you play on.
hofupo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: