ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Finger Placement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smak  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Finger Placement Reply with quote

I have read some information on the boards and I wanted to ask, my main finger placement starts on green and goes to blue. I use my pinky for blue and orange. A lot of people say you should use your index finger to reach for green instead and start on red. I hope this makes sense, I can change but it may take some time. It is recommended I switch?

I am currently on hard, stuck on Crazy for you (PS2 last song in set) so I want to get my technique to where it should be. I would like to stick with this game till I master it as much as possible.
thegibbonator  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch to RYBO. Trust me, its easier.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: Tetrinity
joshtbuff  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finger Placement Reply with quote

smak wrote:
I have read some information on the boards and I wanted to ask, my main finger placement starts on green and goes to blue. I use my pinky for blue and orange. A lot of people say you should use your index finger to reach for green instead and start on red. I hope this makes sense, I can change but it may take some time. It is recommended I switch?

I am currently on hard, stuck on Crazy for you (PS2 last song in set) so I want to get my technique to where it should be. I would like to stick with this game till I master it as much as possible.

well when you start fading into the harder hards and the experts you will find that more of the song is using the orange than the green. it is easier for me to go up and press the green with my index then to go down and to press the orange with my pinky. i typically hold index on red unless the song takes me to green where you play until it takes you back down. that is generally how i play it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it really depends on too much to just say one is better than the other. I generally use RYBO, but if i see a lot of notes coming up with greens, then i switch. I find myself switching constantly during songs. I dont think theres any songs on expert where i hold one hand position throughout the whole song. Granted i have 5 starred about half the songs on expert so far, but i only got the game about 5 weeks ago. I dont think you can confine yourself to a single hand position.
tRiViUm256  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does depend on the song and the part of the song. But for what I think you're talking about, I do GRYB, but that's just the way I got used to it.
A7XChaos  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2nd position: RYBO

It's usually better, because your index finger is much more tensile and durable than your pinky, but that's just me

FC Beast and the Harlot [ ] (Power Surge)
Get The Log [X]
5* Jordan [X]
5* Every Co-Op song [X]

GH2 League A1: 8th
157 Points off of the lead :O
MuDvAyNe  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best position really depends on the song/part of the song...to get used to new finger placements or shifting I recommend going back to medium and only using two fingers to get the feel of moving up and down the fret board

<--Click the banner for the video
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: oXMuDvAyNeXo
VeX  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually wait till I see the first couple of notes, then I choose my finger placement for that song. Psychobilly Freakout, for example. If I were you, I'd start with my index on the red button and shift down to the green note IF you're playing on hard/expert.

Next goal: 5 star all of expert. (63/64) Damn Six. I'll get it before GH3 for sure.
GallantPugly  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a position that changed throughout the song, i just slide up and down to wat is needed, and im sure im not the only one that does

but it all depends on wat works for you, iv been sliding forever now so i got it down, try somethin and stick with it
smak  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliding doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Here and there I have some issues but they are usually with O and R or Y combined. I think I'll give it a shot, I see what you mean by where you place your hands to start, I think my main question was should I keep using my pinky to play B and O or should I use my index to play G and R. Currently I'm doing the first, but it appears like the best way to go is to use the index finger to stretch, I'll give it a try tonight, maybe it will work better for me.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smak wrote:
I think my main question was should I keep using my pinky to play B and O or should I use my index to play G and R. Currently I'm doing the first, but it appears like the best way to go is to use the index finger to stretch, I'll give it a try tonight, maybe it will work better for me.

Theres a third option. Im not good at stretching (ie staring in second postion and hitting the G with my index while my hand is still mostly in the second position), but i am good and moving my hand between the first and second position (sliding whole hand) and playign R, Y, and B notes from either position without getting confused. So i still play most G and R notes with my index finger but i shift my whole hand on those shifts. What i do is start a song in first position if there is a green before the first orange, and second if there is an orange before the first green. Then from the first position after the last green before an orange, i always shift on the next note and play for a while in second position. So for example on a G-R-Y-B-O slide id pley 1-1-2-3-4. Then ill play in the second position until the next green which ill shift back to first position for (on the green). Then if there are more greens before the next orange in the song you stay in the first position and once again on the last green before any oranges you shift out on the next note.

You dont actualyl have to memorize the song exactly to use this either (even though ot read it it sort of sounds like it). You get a feel for what sort of sections you need to shift for and what ones you dont. If im sightreading a song (or sitting down for the first play in a while) i'll usually move after every green, and then as i get used to the pattern ill note what parts are G thru B only and override my desire to move my hand in order to conserve energy and play those sections in first hand position. Another alternate trick that i find well is if i forget ot slide using the index on G-R, then i find that the next most reliable way for me to do it is withthe ring finger on a Y-B for some reason.lots of time in songs esp if i havent played that particular song for a bit i end up playing Y-B-O runs as 3-3-4.

Now im not saying that always moving is better than always stretching for everybody, i think some people find each way easier. But you want to get away from playing all B and O notes with pinky (your least reliable finger), and i just wanted to provide another way for you to try instead of playign the whole song form 2nd position and stretchign to hit green (which tires the crap out of my fingers if i do it too much).
Dynasty99  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving>stretching. There shouldn't be a hand position you use. Your hands will have to move on the fret board to hit stuff eventually, no matter what, best you learn to adapt impromptu now rather than later.
Thumbguy41  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My style for playing is very different. I use my thumb for green. ( I have posable thumbs, Yay!) I can also play using 4 fingers. i start on RYBO unless its something like sweet child o' mine, where i start on green and slide my hand so my ring finger hits blue.
rekt  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hands are all over the place. It helps when you don't assign them buttons.
SalBasss  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtaylor2k2 wrote:
i find it really depends on too much to just say one is better than the other. I generally use RYBO, but if i see a lot of notes coming up with greens, then i switch. I find myself switching constantly during songs. I dont think theres any songs on expert where i hold one hand position throughout the whole song. Granted i have 5 starred about half the songs on expert so far, but i only got the game about 5 weeks ago. I dont think you can confine yourself to a single hand position.

Amen to this. I always played GRYB until about 2/3 of the way through Hard, when I started switching as needed. It really helped and there are parts I know I simply can't play without shifting (the bar before verse two in Hangar 18, for example).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: