Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH360, play custom GH2 songs on the xbox 360! Updated 22/4
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorby  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: GH360, play custom GH2 songs on the xbox 360! Updated 22/4 Reply with quote

NOTE: My tool and this thread is only for creating custom songs for Guitar Hero 2 on the 360, the process for GH3 customs on the 360 will be totally different!

UPDATE 22/4 -08 , v2.1 RELEASED !

Version 2.1, only minor changes:

- Fixed a small bug that will make the tool crash when finalizing the ark if you run it from exactly the same directory as where you store your extracted .ark/.hdr files (thanks to PilgriM80 for reporting it).
+ Added the ability to lock songs back again. This function is really helpful when using the "suggest song to replace" button as it will skip locked (already replaced) songs. Note that the locked status of the song isn't saved anymore, meaning that if you quit the tool and load the same ark/hdr pair again later on then all songs will be marked as unlocked again.
+ Added the printing of songlist back again. While we don't really need songlists on paper anymore I still felt I wanted this feature back, mostly because it's handy to be able to make notes on a separate paper while playing a newly made custom disc and finding a song that needs to be corrected in one way or another.

Get the newest version here:
http://www.filefront.com/16134289/GH360v2.1.zip
New DL link as of 2010-04-15, old one didn't work anymore!

Changelog:

Version 2.0

New version out! Largest change is the added support of editing the artist/songnames and some other .dtb data. This means that you don't need to print songlists on paper anymore as you finally can create real songlists inside the game now.

All credits for cracking the gh2 360 .dtb encryption goes to xorloser, I had nothing to do with that part! Without his work on the .dtb files theese new editing features wouldn't have been possible.

Get it from here: http://files.filefront.com/GH360v20zip/;9926772;/fileinfo.html
- Rewrote alot of the sourcecode. Some things like difficulties, locking of songs and printing had to go due to changed tool functionality. Some settings were also removed. Theese things may appear again in a future version though.
- Updated the GUI once more.
- Updated the help section to reflect the new possibilities.
- Remapped some of the mmnemonics/shortcuts.
+ The tool will now search for ID3 tags inside the ogg when injecting it into the ark and fill in the title and artist automatically for you (if a valid tag is found in the file).
+ Added support for editing the games .dtb files. The following things can now be edited from within the application:
* Artist for any song.
* Songname for any song.
* All tiernames.
* All difficulties names.
* "Starpower ready".
* "Song failed".
NOTE: Currently you can only inject files with a maximum size of the original songs.dtb file, meaning that the total length of all the strings is limited. This might stop you from setting whatever text you like if your new strings are very long.

Version 1.2
Get it from here: http://files.filefront.com/GH360v12rar/;8842315;/
- Fixed the mnemonics/shortcuts for all the buttons so they work as originally intended. You can now access all the buttons using the following keys:
alt+a : select .ark file
alt+l : load songlist
alt+s : save songlist
alt+k : lock/unlock song
alt+m : choose .mid file
alt+o : choose .ogg file
alt+n : replace the normal .ogg file
alt+p : replace the special (secondary) .ogg file
alt+v : verify files
alt+i : inject files
alt+t : suggest song to replace/next suggestion
Note: Windows hides the mnemonics by default, to see them you have to press the Alt button.
- Fixed a minor bug where you could get a (non-critical) GUI error when searching for a song to replace while not having a mid and ogg selected (thanks to wassco for reporting).
- Minor aesthetic GUI changes to some of the controls.
- Updated the mid check, it will now only accept real gh2 mid files and no other type of files.
- Updated the built-in help with Co-op injection information and some other minor changes.
- Changed the option "automatically try to detect mid difficulties when injecting" to default being off as this check unfortunately isn't 100% accurate. If you turn this option on you should be aware of this fact and verify the supported difficulties manually afterwards.
- Changed the option "allow custom songs to have more channels than the original" to default being on as this really makes ogg conversion easier and it seems to work for all songs tested sofar. This means you should always export your ogg's with six channels from Audacity (you can leave the last channels empty if you want, but they have to be there).
- Removed the option to show song details, this information is now always on/visible.
+ Implemented GUI scaling to support the "Normal / Large Fonts / Extra Large Fonts" settings in Windows so the tool will now resize its contents according to it. This should fix the visualization problem that some users have experienced. Thanks to LocalH for telling me the reason behind this issue so I could fix it.
+ Added support to also replace the 'secondary' ogg for those songs that have theese. If you only play GH2 in 'Single Player mode' then you don't have to think about this issue as those oggs are only for songs with an additional co-op lead/rhythm track. Thanks to DrZaius for suggesting the idea (I'm not playing coop normaly and didn't really think of it).
NOTE: I have only tried this on two co-op songs (working fine ofc) but I can't guarantee that it will work for all the songs. On the other hand, I see no reason why it wouldn't.
+ The start directories for the select mid/ogg dialogues are now being synced, meaning that if you select a midfile and then click the 'select ogg button' the following dialogue will open in the same dir as the lastly selected mid (and vice versa). I got so bored of browsing through all my dirs every time I wanted to inject several songs

Version 1.1
Get it from here: http://files.filefront.com/GH360v11rar/;8486537;/fileinfo.html
- Rewrote all code for printing of songlists, output is aligned and much better looking now.
- Fixed a bug where the song details wasn't properly updated when using the arrow keys to navigate through the songlist (thanks Illithid for reporting).
- Minor aesthetic GUI changes.
- Fixed the issue where a songlist wasn't being saved at all if you tried to overwrite the original songfile (thanks reaper527 for reporting). Added a dialogue to ask for another filename (as the original songfile always should be untouched).
- Improved the lock option so it also prevents editing of songname and difficulties for a song that is marked as locked (and not only injection of new files).
+ Added an option to override a failed 'number of channels' check. This will only be allowed for songs where the original song has less channels than the custom song though. I have used this option myself on a number of songs and they all load, but I can't guarantee it will always work so turn on this option at your own risk.
+ Added an option to let the program try to automatically detect and set what difficulties the mid file support when injecting a song (thanks for the pointers TurkeyMan).
- Changed the option to only suggest original songs to only suggest unlocked songs.

Version 1.0
- Rewrote code for the difficulty settings, now it should always be visually correct.
- Updated the GUI, log messages and other minor details.
- Rewrote parts of the code to be more efficient and use less memory.
+ Added a settings menu and the option to show details about the riginal song files. You can now see the nr of channels and mid/mogg size of each original song for better song replacement planning (as requested by users).
+ Added an option to automatically lock a song after injection (default).
+ Some of the menu options are now disabled until an ark file is opened.
+ Added a lock option so you can lock individual songs to make sure you can't replace those songs by mistake. The suggest button will of course skip theese songs also.
+ Added a check to verify that a chosen mid file is in GH2 format (and not GH1) before the actual injection is allowed.
+ Added many logical checks just to make the tool even more intuitive to use and minimize the possibility of users doing uninteded, 'bad' things.

Version 0.9
- Initial public release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GH360

After alot of testing my GH360 application is finally ready!

So what is GH360 you might wonder. Well, it's a tool used for injecting CUSTOM SONGS into GH2 for the xbox 360! Yes, you read correct and this is not a joke. I have replaced more than 40 songs one of my discs and it plays wonderful in my xbox.

This tool does NOT contain any files or other copyrighted contents from the GH2 game, so it should be ok to share and use.

I have even more ideas and functionality I want to integrate in this tool, but as it is stable and working really good right now I felt that I should release it to the public for all to use and try. Expect new versions with more features in the future.

While me and a few selected friends have tested it quite alot there might still be some bugs inside, so use at own risk and dont blame me if your computer blows up

Suggestions, found bugs (if any), new features and other input can be written into this thread and I will read them when I have time.

Note: This tool will help you inject custom .mid and .ogg files into GH2 .ark files, nothing more and nothing less. You still need to get the .mid/.ogg files yourself.

...and before alot of people asks... YES you NEED a modified 360 to play burned games on your console. Don't ask me how to do that, google is your friend.

Installation

1. Get the program here: see the download links above for the newest version. Unpack the file and run the program. If you encounters any problem, try doing step 2.

2. You need the .Net framework installed to start this program. If you don't have it get it for free from Microsoft (just google for it). Install it and try to run my tool again.

Edit: you can find the english version here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

How to make a custom GH2 disc - Preparations

1. Take your original GH2 disc and make a proper backup of it (I won't go into details about how to do that here).

2. Extract the main_0.ark and main.hdr from the backup (using for example xbox backup creator v2.5).

3. Get hold of some custom .mid and ogg files or make them yourself.

The ogg can be made with Audacity (free program) but remember to export as .ogg and with the correct number of channels (4-6) depending on which original song you want to replace (don't worry, my program will tell you if it's wrong and refuse to replace the song).

If you don't know how to make a ogg with many channels, read the excellent posting from Drummerguitarist here as guide: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=38

The mid can be downloaded from scorehereo or made in for example Feedback. If you do a .chart, import it into ghex and then export it back out again and it will be a nice .mid to use.

Make sure all .mid files are in GH2 format. If you are uncertain then import the .mid files to GHex and then export them out again.

How to make a custom GH2 disc - GH360 editing

1. Start GH360 and select the .ark file you have previously extracted from your game backup.

2. Select the .hdr file you have previously extracted from your game backup.

3. Press "prepare files" and wait a few seconds.

4. Select a song you want to replace.

5. Select a custom .mid file (containing the notes).

6. Select a custom .ogg file (containing the actual audio).

7. Press "verify" button.

8. Check that all three checkmarks are greeen, if they are your custom mid/ogg files fits and can be injected.

9. Press "inject" button to do the actual replacing of the song.

10. Verify that the artist and songname are correct (the tool fetches them from the ogg file if the ID tags are present) and if not, correct them manually.

11. Press "update songlist" to actually save the artist/songname into the game datafile.

12. Repeat step 4 - 11 for each song you want to replace.

13. Check that the "available charactes remaining" is 0 or greater. If it is a negative number then you need to shorten one or several artist/songnames until the number gets 0 or greater again.

14. Press "inject songlist into ark" and the edited artist/songnames will be written into the game datafile.
NOTE: this step is really important, if you skip this the changed artist/songnames won't be saved into the game (meaing no changed songlist ingame) and the updated main.hdr won't be saved either.

How to make a custom GH2 disc - GH360 additional editing...

Theese steps are optional and not needed to make a functional custom dvd.

15. Go to the "Tools" menu and select what you want to edit.

16. Type in the new tiernames that you want to see in the ingame songlist.

17. Press "Update" to save your changes.

18. Type in the new difficulty names that you want to see ingame.

19. Press "Update" to save your changes.

20. Type in the new messages you want to see for "starpower ready" and "song failed".

21. Press "Update" to save your changes.

22. Press "inject locale dtb into ark" to save all changed tiernames / difficulties / startpower ready and song failed strings into the game datafile.

How to make a custom GH2 disc - finalizing

1. Insert the modified .ark file with the rest of the original game files (again using for example xbox backup creator 2.5), overwriting the original .ark file.

2. Insert the modified .hdr file with the rest of the original game files (again using for example xbox backup creator 2.5), overwriting the original .hdr file.

3. Burn the iso as any other 360 game (imgburn is a great, free burning program) and enjoy your new custom songs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to make .mid files

The GH2 .mid format for both ps2 and 360 is the same, which means that you can either just download any .mid from the custom songs forum on this board or make your own mid's with the chart editor Feedback.

If you make your own .mids using Feedback then you also need to convert the resulting .chart file that feedback makes into a valid gh2 .mid file using for example GHEX or the chart2mid converter program.

How to make .ogg files

As some people seem to have problem getting good ogg files I will explain how I do it (this is ofcourse not the only way).

1. Download Audacity 1.3.3, it's free so just google for it. Start the program and go to Edit-> Preferences (ctrl-p).

2. Under File Formats, change the When exporting tracks option from Always mix all tracks down to Stereo or Mono channel(s) to Use Advanced Mixing Option and press OK.

3. Open the mp3 (should work with other fileformats like wav also).

4. File -> export, press save, move the slider to the number of channels you want. As all original GH2 songs has 4-6 channels (differs between different songs) but always work with more channels than the original, therefore I suggest that you always export your songs with 6 channels as this makes you able to replace any original song without thinking about the number of channels at all.

5. Make sure the two channels containing audio (your custom song) are mapped to channel 1 and 2 respectively.

Normal channel mapping :

If you want higher volume on your songs (to make the volume of the song a bit higher and more in tune with the volume of the rest of the game) then map the same channels to 5 and 6 also. Note that this will increase the size of the exported ogg though (approx double the size)!

If you prefer to have the songs volume to "fade out" a little when missing notes then map the sound to channels 1-4 instead of 1-2 and 5-6 (as any sound in channel 3-4 will get muted when missing notes).

Lower volume when missing notes channel mapping:

Note: I do not recommend mapping only to channels 3-4 as that will make the song go totally silent when missing any note.

6. Open the newly saved ogg in audacity and verify that it sounds good. I have experienced that some songs that have a very high gain/volume might get slightly distorted when saved as ogg. Also sometimes Audacity seem to insert a track with distorted noice (a bug i suppose) when converting to ogg, if you see one then just try export it again.

If the ogg does indeed sound a bit distorted, redo everything above but add the following step before saving:

4b. Mark the whole song and select effects->amplify but input a negative number (like -0.5). Choose a good value (do not adjust the volume too much, just a little bit so the peaks doesn't hit the +- 1.0 limits anymore). Accept changes and save as step 5.

How to use Frets Of Fire songs i GH2

All FoF songs usually have theese files:
notes.mid
notes.ini
guitar.ogg
song.ogg

1. Start by opening GHEX and select a mid file, right-click and select import, point out the notes.ini file (NOT the .mid file, this is very important!).

2. Extract it as usual (right-click->extract) and it will now have been converted to a proper GH2 mid file ready to use.

3. Open Audacity and open the song.ogg file (file->open).

4. Go to file->import->audio... and also import the guitar.ogg.

5. You should now have 4 channels in audacity. Go to file->export and map song.ogg to channel 0-1 and guitar.ogg to channel 4-5.

Note: If you preffer to have the song to "fade out" a little when missing notes then export guitar.ogg to channel 2-3 instead as any sound in channel 2-3 will get muted when missing notes.

6. Use the new .mid and .ogg and inject with my tool.

How to read/get the original main_0.ark and main.hdr needed to make customs from your backup image

Download "Xbox Backup creator v2.5" from somewhere (it's also possible to do it with XDVDMulleter).

1. Start Xbox Backup Creator and go to "Image Tools" tab, click "Image Browser" button...

2. In the next window, select File menu -> Open Image file

3. Select the xbox GH2 image file that you created when you made your backup of the game.

4. Click on the "Gen" folder, then right-click in the right panel on the main_0.ark file and select "Extract".

5. Select where on your HDD you want to save the main_0.ark file.

6. Wait a few minutes while the program extracts the file to HDD (the file is roughly 2.1 GB).

7. Repeat step 4-6 but select main.hdr and extract instead.

8. Start GH360, point out the newly extracted files and start making customs!

How to inject the modified ark/hdr back into an image

Download "Xbox Backup creator v2.5" from somewhere (it's also possible to do it with XDVDMulleter).

1. Start Xbox Backup Creator and go to "Image Tools" tab, click "Image Browser" button...

2. In the next window, select File menu -> Open Image file

3. Select the xbox GH2 image file that you created before (to get hold of an ark file).

4. Click on the "Gen" folder, then right-click in the right panel on the main_0.ark file and select "Replace".

5. Select the main_0.ark file that you have injected the songs into (using the GH360 tool).

6. Wait like 10 minutes while the program works. It will now overwrite the original ark file with your own, modified version of the same file.

7. Repeat step 4 to 6 but replace the main.hdr file instead.

8. Burn the whole iso file you just injected the ark into as usual, using for example Imgburn.

How to sync chart/mid files with an ogg file

1. Open the chart/mid file in the chart editor Feedback (free program , search for it on theese forums). You can also open the ogg at the same time so you get both audio and notes when previewing.

2. Check at what time (second/millisecond) the first note appears.

3. Open up the ogg in Audacity and add/remove silence in the start of the song for all channels. To add silence use "Generate->silence..." from the top-menu. To remove silence just mark a section in the channels and use "edit->cut". Save the updated file.

4. Open up the ogg in Feedback again and verfiy it is in sync (music starts at the same time as the first note appears), if not redo step 3 again.

5. Inject chart/mid and ogg as usual.

Last edited by Gorby on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 51 times in total
Illithid  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

It works well. Here is a screen shoot i took...
http://files.filefront.com//;8362541;;/

Last edited by Illithid on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallantPugly  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not touching anything until I see proof.
Gokussj5okazu  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GallantPugly wrote:
Well, I'm not touching anything until I see proof.

Ditto.

This is wonderful and all, if it does indeed work, but it's not exactly a cakewalk to get a 360 to play backups right now, so I don't see a huge swarm of attention towards this.
Internet Explorer 6 is a giant cunt. That is all.
Guide to Advanced Editing in Feedback
Gorby  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the technique behind this isn't any rocket science and I'm surprised noone else tried it before me.

It is basically a byte by byte injection of your custom files , overwriting the original files for the specific songs you choose.

Too bad for you if you don't believe me, but time will tell I am right and not lying

For you non-believers, the original thread leading up to me creating this tool can be read here:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&sid=ada8f2cc171f26e39a0be3764b3c359f
GallantPugly  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, proof is a MUST.

A video would just wash all my doubt away.
Uchihazor  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm trying it. Only thing ithat can really go wrong is a bummed up DL DVD. Regardless, this topic needs to be stickied moderators...........
GHCity  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GallantPugly wrote:
Still, proof is a MUST.

Truth.

I sorta belive you, but the last two attempts of this ahve gone... *ahem*

So I would want to see a video. Any chance?
Gorby  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHCity wrote:
GallantPugly wrote:
Still, proof is a MUST.

Truth.

I could make a video if I got hold of a camera, will ask around if my friends have a digital videorecorder I can lend.

I'm sure someone on this forum will try my progam out and verify it works before I have the chance to make a vid though
GHCity  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorby wrote:
GHCity wrote:
GallantPugly wrote:
Still, proof is a MUST.

Truth.

I could make a video if I got hold of a camera, will ask around if my friends have a digital videorecorder I can lend.

I'm sure someone on this forum will try my progam out and verify it works before I have the chance to make a vid though

As I said, I don't doubt you a 100%, but it seems...

We'll wait for a video.
Stretch77  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uchihazor wrote:
Well I'm trying it. Only thing ithat can really go wrong is a bummed up DL DVD. Regardless, this topic needs to be stickied moderators...........

I doubt this will get stickied without proof it works.
-5-star "Play With Me" ()
-"Because It's Midnight" with no SP ()
kltznum1  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity...

it says you posted this on: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm
and it says someone with one post managed to install this and run it in and take a picture within that same minute?

oh and why is that picture uploaded before the thread was posted?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kltznum1 wrote:
Just out of curiosity...

it says you posted this on: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm
and it says someone with one post managed to install this and run it in and take a picture within that same minute?

oh and why is that picture uploaded before the thread was posted?

Holy crap. You really looked into that one.
-5-star "Play With Me" ()
-"Because It's Midnight" with no SP ()
Nazo64  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf how are you going to use this on your xbox without getting banned from xbox live. I'm pretty sure they ban any console that uses any kind of modded equipment on it.
xSergeantMINORx  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nazo64 wrote:
wtf how are you going to use this on your xbox without getting banned from xbox live. I'm pretty sure they ban any console that uses any kind of modded equipment on it.

Either don't use Xbox Live or have a separate offline Xbox for your custom needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 1 of 48

Jump to: