ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Adding weights to the SG to give it "heft"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wumpus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Adding weights to the SG to give it "heft" Reply with quote

People compliment the les as "heavier" and "more substantial" but if it's anything like the Kramer inside, that's solely because of the battery weight. There's no extra weights inside or anything, and the guitars are all very similar internally. (Caveat: I have dissassembled red SG, black SG, Kramer, and Xplorer, but I've yet to disassemble a Les, so I'm assuming.)

I thought about puttign Pennies/nickles inside, but that seemed kinda ghetto. Plus coins aren't as heavy as you might think, and I worried about all those coins, if one came loose in there somehow. I had to go to the hardware store for some errands, so while there I bought a set of 20 pk 2" x 1/2" fender washers. I think that means 1/2" hole in the center and 2" diameter-- they're the biggest, heaviest washers I could find.

The 2" diameter fits perfectly in several places in the SG guitar shell. I suppose you could do either side but I put them all on the "face" side of the guitar. I distributed them in 3 places in a 4 - 3 - 3 config in each of the two SG guitars (20 washers total, 10 per guitar). I used alcohol to wipe down the area, then copious amounts of hot glue via the glue gun to make a washer "sandwich".

I weighed them on my scale-- 10 of these washers is about 8 oz. It gives the "weightless" SG quite a bit of heft!

Great simple mod. Cheap too. The washers were $4 and a glue gun + glue is like $5.
baggyklown  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the sg is heavier because of more plastic. i opened mine up and it has a bunch of support bits, that go along the neck, and there's a lot of extra plastic to support the body, and keep it from distorting.

my tutorial (how to change the preview of a song)
wumpus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I put my washers. This is roughly to size-- the washers are 2" in diameter.

(edit: better picture below)

In retrospect, I probably should have put some on the back part of the shell, to "even out" the weight.

Anyway, it feels great as is -- much more "heft" so it doesn't feel quite so weightlessly fake compared to the Les and Kramer.

Last edited by wumpus on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnysparxz  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang awesome.gotta try it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this will work with ANY plastic guitar.. not just the SG. It's a great and inexpensive mod that makes your guitars feel a lot more substantial!
wumpus  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of how I did it with the red SG. It works the same way on the Kramer and Xplorer, although you may want to put them on the back side of the shell where there's more room..

InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty neat.

Any chance of this working on a RO Wireless? I haven't gotten the opportunity to open one up yet, but I'd like to put something in, since it feels so light.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
alexonfire  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been planning to do this for a while as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

wumpus  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took apart my two Les Pauls and the 20 pk 2" x 1/2" fender washers also work for adding heft to these models, too. There are at least three places they fit in the shell.

Not sure about the Wii Les Paul, with that massive, unsightly hole in the guitar for the stupid Wiimote... but for the Xbox 360 and PS3 Les Pauls, I can personally verify that the 2" fender washers + a little glue gun action work great for adding some realistic weight.

Easy mod, and hey, it feels a little less like a cheap plastic guitar when it has some weight to it!
MLdemon137  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InflatablePie wrote:
Pretty neat.

Any chance of this working on a RO Wireless? I haven't gotten the opportunity to open one up yet, but I'd like to put something in, since it feels so light.

my friend has the RO wireless, but instead of using washers he used custom cut chunks of scrap iron from his dads shop. he wrapped them in fabric and they work fine.
The main reason he did this is so he could spin the guitar around his back and over his shoulder.
wumpus1  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a full tutorial of how to add guitar weights here

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/index.php/2008/03/20/adding-weights-to-your-guitar-hero-guitar-controller/

Here's what I came up with on the wireless Les Paul using a combination of 2" and 1.5" fender washers.. it's quite heavy now

MrMiniMog  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if hot glue is a good idea. That stuff tends to not hold after a while. Espically in the guitars which see a lot of action. Maybe just some type of contact cement would work better, and never, ever, come loose.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: xMrMiniMog Wii Friend Code: 352313276237
charliehorse55  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMiniMog wrote:
I don't know if hot glue is a good idea. That stuff tends to not hold after a while. Espically in the guitars which see a lot of action. Maybe just some type of contact cement would work better, and never, ever, come loose.

One Word: WellBond.

Google it. Strongest glue ever made. Available in any hardware store.

I'm not trying to advertise just making a suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: