Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Idiot Proof Guide to MAKING Custom Guitar Hero Songs
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Idiot Proof Guide to MAKING Custom Guitar Hero Songs Reply with quote

---------
This guide is now available in a Spanish translation, with many thanks to tarod83!

En el siguiente link podréis encontrar una traducción de la guía, para hispanohablantes. ¡Importante! Cualquier duda que os surja sobre el proceso, colgadlo en su respectivo hilo (aquí solo preguntas en inglés, allí en español). Espero que os sea útil.

Link: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10796
---------

Updated:
03-09-07: RyuBlitz has gone out of his way to make a tutorial using Guitar Pro 5. It'll probably aid 4.x users and below, as well. The link is at the bottom of this tutorial.

01-23-07: Now that everything is up and good again, thanks to jpw, I can concentrate on some other things.

One of my ideas was to make an FAQ on questions that people have been asking about the tutorial. But, I wanted to put that off until I put together a site for the tutorial so it's far more organized and legible. Possibly, I could have a domain where everyone's tutorial can be posted along with an archive with every available custom song.

Unfortunately, I'm not the greatest web designer and I don't have my own domain, nor any really steady income to pay for such a subscription. In time when I do get one, hopefully we can get that going with the help of some of you guys.

But, tasks like this and my own custom songs are going to have to fit into my school schedule so it'll be a while before an progress even begins.

01-22-07: Thanks to jpw21683, all the pictures and templates are now accessible once again for your learning pleasure. Thank you very much, jpw.

01-07-07: I put in some important notices about questions and finalizing your note chart.

Greetings. The tutorial might seem intimidating and long, but it’s only because the pictures present that image. It’s quite short and once you go all the way through and even shorter with your repeat the steps.

IF YOU HAVE AN QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS TUTORIAL OR PROGRAMS DEMONSTRATED IN THE TUTORIAL, PLEASE POST THEM HERE AND DO NOT MAKE A NEW THREAD.

Introduction:
I’m here to present to you an alternative to creating note charts as apposed to using Freetar Hero or Anvil Studio. For me, this is the best and easiest solution to making custom songs, but that does not mean it will necessarily be as easy for you. Although, I would like to think anyone could grasp this concept and start making a list of songs over time. If you feel that you don’t understand this method well enough, or find it too hard, then you should probably try a different method, or do not make note charts, period, as it’s been said before.

Table of Contents:
Chapter 1. Summary
Chapter 2. Beginning
Chapter 3. Find the Tempo
Chapter 4. Creating/Saving a Chart with TabIt
Chapter 5. Creating/Saving a Chart with Guitar Pro 4.x (A link to a tutorial on GP5 is at the bottom of the tutorial)
Chapter 6. Creating/Saving a Chart with PowerTab
Chapter 7. Editing with Anvil Studio
Chapter 8. Checking Synchronization with Guita Hero Explorer
Chapter 9. Creating Tempo/Time Signature Changes with MIDI Maestro
Chapter 10. Inserting Star Power
Chapter 11. Inserting Player 1/2 Positions
Chapter 12. Bass/Rhythm Guitar/Co-Op
Chapter 13. The Final Step
Chapter 14. More Tutorials You Should Read
Chapter 15. Conclusion

Chapter 1: Summary:
This tutorial is going to explain and demonstrate how to create a note chart using the following programs and materials.

-TabIt, Guitar Pro, or PowerTab (These are all programs used to create music through MIDI. They are designed for the user to write/learn how to play songs through tablature. You won’t have to use all 3. I recommend TabIt but you’re free to use which ever you are more familiar with.)

-Anvil Studio (I know I mentioned that you my method is an alternative to using this program, which it is, but you will eventually need it to create the final MIDI that you will be using.)

-MIDI Maestro

-Guitar Hero Explorer

-Guitar Hero Template for TabIt

-Guitar Hero Template for Guitar Pro (If you’re going to use TabIt, then this one is not needed. If you are going to use GP, you’ll need version 4.0.7 or greater.)

-Guitar Hero Template for PowerTab (If you’re going to use TabIt or Guitar Pro, then this one is not needed)

-Guitar Hero 1 Template for Anvil Studio [right-click-save] (If you’re sure you won’t be putting custom songs on a copy of Guitar Hero 1, then you don’t need this.)

-Guitar Hero 2 Template for Anvil Studio [right-click-save] (If you’re sure you won’t be putting custom songs on a copy of Guitar Hero 2, then you don’t need this. Though, the tutorial will be using this as an example.)

Now, unfortunately, the only freeware programs are PowerTab and Anvil Studio. You can pretty much do with out the other 3 programs, but TabIt has a very user friendly interface that is easy to operate, and MIDI Maestro will be the program you need in order to insert tempo changes/time signature changes. If you decide that you want the full/registered versions of these programs, how you get your hands on them is entirely up to you. Moving on…

NOTE: IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE A DIFFERENT PROGRAM OTHER THAN TABIT, YOU SHOULD STILL READ THE TABIT SECTION AS IT COVERS ALL THE BASIS OF CREATING A NOTE CHART IN A TABLATURE PROGRAM IN THAT PORTION

Chapter 2: Beginning:
First you’re going to need to decide which song you want to do. You might want to tackle a simple song that has a straight tempo, but that’s all based on your understanding of rhythms/tabbing and such.

For this tutorial I will be using Only for the Weak by In Flames. Not the entire just, just the first four measures, rhythm and lead guitar. Now, you don’t need to get song or copy the steps I will be instructing. I’m only using a song as an example so you can compare a note chart in Guitar Hero to one in a tablature program to the actual guitar line. If you think you need to mimic the steps, then you’re free to do so. For the first program:

Click here for a clip of the song we'll be working with.

Chapter 3: Find the Tempo:
We’re going to need to find the tempo for this song before we get to work. At this point one of your tablature programs should be open. There are different alternatives to finding the tempo.

-If you have a metronome, play the song you’re going to make a chart for and match the metronome to the beat of the song. If you’re having trouble, you’re going to have trouble the whole through making this song. Besides, all those hours spent on GH, you should have developed some sense of a steady tempo.

-Use TabIt: Press CTRL+M, and then click TAP. Play the MP3 and then tap any letter on the keyboard to the beat of the song. This method is hard because TabIt does not narrow down the estimate well enough. But once you start to see somewhat of a steady number appearing, press Okay to set to that tempo. Click the metronome symbol and press F5 to play and try to match it with the song. If it still appears off, then raise or lower the tempo as needed.

-If you find a tablature for your desired song in any of the programs, look at the tempo the tabber put and use that as your source or work off of it.

If there are methods to use within Guitar Pro and Power Tab to find tempos, please post them as I am unfamiliar with these programs. They will be added after viewing.

The tempo for the example song is 210 BPM.

Chapter 4: Creating/Saving a Chart with TabIt:
Open the template that you downloaded in TabIt.

Do not be alarmed if your TabIt looks different from mine. TabIt's appear is customizable and yours will be plain black and white. This is just what I prefer.

This is a template I’m using to create my custom note charts. As you can see they are noted on top of each track which difficulty it belongs to. We're only going to mess with the track that says Expert, track 4. In the picture you can see in the comments what each string represents. The first 5 are your buttons, the 6th is the star power, and the 7th is to activate player 1's section in the face off mode.

Lucky for us there is a tab of our example on the TabIt website. Though, it’s not necessary for you to download, and you won’t be able to see it completely unless you have the registered version.

It’d be easier to have the guitar line you will be making a note chart for in the same tab as guitarhero.tbt. If you wanted to do this, you’d go to the tab on the site, copy the guitar line you’ll be re-creating by highlight the entire thing (or a porting) with your mouse, pressing CTRL+C, and then pasting it in the guitarhero.tbt by pressing CTRL+V. You could make a new track for this, but since we’re not going to be working on the Hard difficulty tab, just paste it there. Proper tuning is not needed for this, only for the Expert track.

NOTE: I’m going to be moving tracks around to show certain details, don’t pay attention if one track is moved up or down in different pictures. Try not to get confused.

NOTE: The song you’re doing might not be in 4/4. If you’re using TabIt you can change the Time Signature in there by going to Song/Recreate Bar Lines… and input the proper number. The number it’s asking for is the top number of the fraction. So, if the song you are doing is in 3/4, then you’d just simple type 3. IMPORTANT: This will only benefit in TabIt. The Time Signature will not transfer over to Guitar Hero unless you do as instructed below.

We're going to start with the rhythm line. This is what the beginning looks like on both guitars. The rhythm is the top track.

We're going to re-create it using the note chart track. If you notice the lines on the top, they represent note values. It's not really necessary to understand what they mean, but use those as your guide. The 4 chords in each measure fall in on the 4 largest lines in each bar. So, if we re-created it, it'll look something like this:

*Remember the top string is the GREEN button and the 5th string is ORANGE one. It's very simple. The 6th string will be used when you input star power, and the last one can be ignored for now.*

Now, if we left the rhythm how it was, the chords would sustain until the next one is played. We want them to just be single bullets. To do this, you’d put a * immediately after the 0, like so:

* are like rests. They are what stop the note and create single or sustaining notes in Guitar Hero. Guitar Hero doesn't register rests and sustaining notes the same as these tablature programs. You'll have to cut the time that the not will be stopped in half for sustaining notes to have it feel more accurate

Now to re-create the lead track. The Expert track we're editing on is the same kind that the lead would go on, so we'd have to make a new track. But, just worry about the rhythm. I'm merely showing you this is a second example. Again, we'll just place the notes were they are in the actual tab. Also, again take note of the *’s placement. Here is the lead.

Together they look like this.

So, we have our tested note chart ready. Let's make it into a MIDI. We're just going to use the rhythm track.

Go to File/Export MIDI

Check mark the track that your note chart is on and then click OK and save it somewhere.

You’re going to need this later so go to File/Save As… and keep it as a back up if you need to make adjustments.

Chapter 5: Creating/Saving a Chart with Guitar Pro 4.x
You’re basically going to follow the same instructions as given above in the TabIt portion. But this is how it will look like on Guitar Pro.

When you’re done with your chart on here, you Export the MIDI as instructed with TabIt. Be sure to save the file so you can edit it later, if needed, but don’t overwrite the Template you got from me, so go to Save As..

Chapter 6: Creating/Saving a Chart with Power Tab
I couldn’t figure out how to really create the notes with separate tracks but I did create them there for you. To see them click the guitar button on the tool bar.

1. Expert
2. Hard
3. Medium
4. Easy

I retuned the Bass as it is in TabIt, but I’m not entirely sure if they are playing the same pitch. If you run into problems, it’s because they’re in the wrong octave.

To save the MIDI, you’d do the exact same thing you’d do for the last two programs.

Chapter 7: Editing with Anvil Studio
Now, we're going to take this to Anvil Studio. Open up Anvil and go to File/Open Song... and go to the MIDI we just created.

Now, open one of the two templates at the top that you downloaded for this program

There is a difference in the MIDI for both games. In this tutorial, we're going to assume you're using GH2.

In Anvil, go to File/Merge Song... and select the gh2template.mid. Now go to the "Compose" view.

Select the track that says "TabIt MIDI - Track". You should see a staff with notes. Hit CTRL+A to highlight everything, and then CTRL+C to copy all the notes. Select the "PART GUITAR RHYTHM" track and press SHIFT+Insert to paste the notes. Normally, these copied notes would go in the track "PART GUITAR" which is the main guitar part that's playing in Single Player and such, but since this is a rhythm line, we'll paste it there for demonstrative purposes.

Now, our TabIt MIDI Track is useless, so we'll delete it. Press (in sequence, not together) ALT, T, D. Then click Yes or press the SPACEBAR to delete the track.

Lastly, we'll input the tempo we gathered ealier (which was 210 BPM) on the top toolbar and then save the song by going to File/Save Song As....

Chapter 8: Checking Synchronization with Guita Hero Explorer:
Follow steps 6 - 9 in this tutorial to import the MIDI and song into GHEx. It'll take a while depending on your hard drive. For me, each import is 6 minutes. But, after it re-writes it for the first time, it goes a lot faster when you replace them because the re-writing is left out.

As it is said in that tutorial, adjust the offset if the first note is not in sync. Another alternative is to adjust the MIDI itself. In which case you would go back to editing the note chart in TabIt and either add a space before the first note or delete one so the song and note chart meet on time. Then you'd follow the same steps to Anvil, then to GHEx to see if it is in sync.

Chapter 9: Creating Tempo/Time Signature Changes with MIDI Maestro
So, you’re making your own chart and you find that the beginning is in sync but it starts to come off. Now, you know the it isn’t the tempo of the MIDI’s fault because it’ll stay in sync for several bars until it comes to a certain part or new riff. This is when you’ll have to make a tempo change. You’ll do this in MIDI Maestro.

Open up MIDI Maestro. It’ll ask you if you want it to be your default player for .mid files, but just keep clicking “No” everytime you open it.

Open the finalized MIDI you made in Anvil and imported into GHEx by going to File/Open…

You’ll see the tracks as they were in Anvil, and a yellow bar, which are the notes. The second little bar in the events is to be ignored for now.

Go to View/Staff. If you don’t see notes on the staff, then click the number 7 on the track list.

Go to Insert/Tempo to make a tempo change. Now say we wanted to make the 2nd measure faster and have the 3rd measure go back to the regular tempo. You set it like this.

But, if you wanted the tempo to change from a certain measure all the way to the end, then you’d change the measure numbers to be the same, in this case they’d both be 2.

To change the Time Signature you’d go to Insert/Meter. Again, if you want it to go from the measure you’re editing to the end, you wouldn’t change a thing, but the meter. But if you want the Time Signature change for that measure only, you put both numbers as the measure number, in this case it would be 2.

NOTE: Guitar Hero will only except x/4 Time Signatures. All others (e.g. 7/8) will be converted by the game and your notes will not be aligned with the measures properly. Although, it does nothing to the sync of the chart/music. Time Signatures aren’t that important to ones playability but it’s a nice touch to add to your songs.

NOTE: MIDI Maestro is going to add two unwanted tracks and events to your MIDI, so when you use this program, you’re going to have to import the MIDI into Anvil to delete the two tracks yourself.

To delete the events, scroll down to Chapter 14 to read how to get to the Event List in Anvil Studio. You’ll see in the picture I provided, a window with a button that says “Delete Event” Double click on the un-wanted event and and press this button to delete it.

Chapter 10: Inserting Star Power
Okay. You’ve perfected your note chart, tempos, and time signatures. Let’s add star power.

On all the editing programs, the star power was 6th string. What you want to do, is figure out where you want it to start in the tablature program, like so:

Then export the MIDI and transfer it to Anvil like you did before. Follow all the same steps, copying to PART GUITAR, or PART GUITAR RHYTHM, and deleting the TabIt track.

With your PART GUITAR RHYTHM track highlighted, in the compose view, there is a drop down menu under the track names which you shall change to “Piano Roll”

If you see only a few piano keys, then click the “add sounds” button under the keys and put C5 as the Lowest Note and then change the Number of Notes to Show to 50.

Now, you can see the notes as you made them in TabIt, but notice they are upside due to the tuning. Your star power is going to be the blue bar at the top, small and alone.

To make a group of notes with star power, you just grab the bar on the right side and extend it until you want it to end. Extend it a little passed the last note of the Star Power group.

Once you save your MIDI, your Star Power is ready to go.

NOTE: If you insert star power before you add difficulties, player inserts or other additions, when you put the updated MIDIs in Anvil Studio, the Star Power will no longer be stretched and you’ll have to edit that again.

However, if you use Guitar Pro, you more than likely won’t have to because you can Import MIDI into GP, so all that event data will stay saved as you’re editing the notes or other things. This I am not sure on.

Chapter 11: Inserting Player 1/2 Positions
My apologies. This part of the tutorial will be updated eventually, but I haven’t been able to test this out yet, nor am I completely sure how it works. Once I have, I’ll update this chapter, but obviously this isn’t on a need to know basis.

Chapter 12: Bass/Rhythm Guitar/Co-Op
If you want to write a Bass (etc) chart, you would simply go to the template I provided for each program and create one as if you were creating the main guitar part.

Then, once you’ve completed said part, you will follow the same steps on importing it into Anvil Studio, but instead of copying it to the one I did before, you’d copy it to PART BASS or PART RHYTHM, which ever one you made. It’s that simple.

Chapter 13: Inserting Different Difficulties
You are going to create each individual difficulty in the template I provided.

Follow the same steps on importing it into Anvil Studio except this time you’re importing more than one track with your tablature program.

You will see two TabIt tracks, this time, in Anvil.

Highlight one of the TabIt tracks, then go to Track/Merge… and select the other TabIt track. Then copy the notes into the PART this chart belongs to like you’ve done before.

Now, delete the two TabIt tracks and save the MIDI, ready to be imported into GHEx.

Chapter 14: The Final Step
Now, you have every detail has been added. You are finished with your chart and you’re ready to finalize it.

Open it up in Anvil one last time. Go to the “Event List” view and look at the track EVENTS.

NOTE: Make sure your “EVENTS” track looks like this in the “Even List” view. I’ve been having some problems and complaints in this area. I think this might be the solution, but it hasn’t been confirmed yet. Trust this in the mean time as it is the way most finished and successful note charts look.

Double click the line “Comments: [end]” (in the GH1 template it’ll say “Comments: end”) and a window pops up.

You need to change the number in the second box of this window so the time stamp on the left side of “Comments” reads at least 1 second past the length of the song. The number is going to be huge. Just keep looking at the stamp and estimate how much to add or subtract.

My example is only 00:04:10 (That’s 4 seconds and 10 frames), and it only reads 00:00:11 so I’m going to have to jump up number until the stamp reads past 00:04:10.

If you have it below it, your song will end early in the game, and if you have it too much over, then you’ll be waiting for the “You Rock” message forever. One second after the song ends is fine.

Once you’ve found the right amount of time, save the MIDI, import into GHEx, create the ISO, burn the game, Enjoy.

Chapter 14: More Tutorials You Should Read
Idiot Proof Guide to playing custom made songs in GH2. (This will direct you on how to put your desired custom songs on a new Guitar Hero 1 or 2 DVD.)
Custom Song FAQ (A collection of the most frequently asked questions about Custom Songs. Pretty self explanatory, huh?)
Guitar Hero MIDI and VGS File Details (Everything you need to know about the Guitar Hero related MIDI and VGS files.)
Beginner's Guide to Creating Custom Mids (A guide for using Anvil Studio to create your custom charts.)
Guitar Pro 5 template - now with Tutorial! (A tutorial on making charts with Guitar Pro 5 by Ryu Blitz. It'll probably help with 4.x versions as well.)

Chapter 15: Conclusion
That’s everything. Thanks to all the members who gave me all this knowledge to be able to pass it on to future coming members.

If there are any misunderstandings, questions, or important details I might have left out, please let me know. Any questions I think others might ask as well will be reposted in this first post with the answer.

Good luck.

Last edited by whiskeyface on Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:39 am; edited 15 times in total
katamakel  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure looks like a sticky to me
Nicely done, hopefully people will actually read it before spamming the forum hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it is a very good tutorial indeed, and I'm sure it will help a lot of newbies doing their own songs, instead of posting multiple help topics ;)

Only one small thing I noticed on the tutorial...
whiskeyface wrote:
My example is only 00:04:10 (That’s 4 seconds and 10 milliseconds), and it only reads 00:00:11 so I’m going to have to jump up number until the stamp reads past 00:04:10.

In a midi, times are almost always in mm:ss:ff format, where f is frames, not milliseconds. 10 frames are equivalent to 10/30 = 0.333 seconds, so, 333 milliseconds.

This should be stickied, without doubt ;)
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Good job! This is definately one way to do it, though it seems more complicated than my way of doing it all in Midi Maestro (except for the deleting of the rogue track of course). Which reminds me, you say that MM adds two tracks that need to be deleted? I only ever see and delete one track, and the song works fine. You might also want to tell people that you can't create new events (the kind that work for GH) in Anvil Studio, the program prompts you to buy some expansion pack for the functionality. This was last I knew, if it is possible, I'd be happy to hear how. MM can create and copy/paste events without a problem though.

Your links to you Guitar Pro and PowerTab templates aren't formatted correctly too...

Great work though!
Jikkir  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make this thread sticky people!

*unzips pants*

Great guide, I'll be using it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I've stickied it. It could use some editing and cleanup... there's a few broken links and some awkward wordings, but overall, this is an excellent effort. Thanks very much for making this, whiskey.

Riz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...thanks a lot.

This is coming from a guy that has NO experience in this at all...and I feel that I can actually do it now. Excellent tutorial.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I kind of rushed it because it was taking longer than I had expected so I figured I might have made some mistakes here and there. I immediately crashed as soon I was done. I'll get to work on these fixes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the links, and the wording that ruippei pointed out. Thanks for pointing them out. If anyone else finds anymore mistakes (or things I should add), please let me know.

ImaCarrot1 wrote:
Mr. Green Good job! This is definately one way to do it, though it seems more complicated than my way of doing it all in Midi Maestro (except for the deleting of the rogue track of course).

I've been tabbing songs with TabIt for 5 years so this is much easier than learning a new program, for me.

If you have written a tutorial using MM, link me. If not, then you really should. It'd be great for new members to have different directions to choose from. You'd have your MM tutorial, I'd have the tablature program tutorial, and Meteo would have his Anvil tutorial. You could also link them in your FAQ sticky.

I know Riz would prefer Freetar users visit their forum for help, but wouldn't it be good for those members who rule the above methods as too complicated to find a helpful tutorial here? This is entirely up to Riz, and the other moderators, of course.

Quote:
Which reminds me, you say that MM adds two tracks that need to be deleted? I only ever see and delete one track, and the song works fine.

Everytime I use MM, it'll add two tracks instead of one. Also, it adds an event at the end that should be taken out but I forgot to mention in this tutorial.

Quote:
You might also want to tell people that you can't create new events (the kind that work for GH) in Anvil Studio, the program prompts you to buy some expansion pack for the functionality. This was last I knew, if it is possible, I'd be happy to hear how. MM can create and copy/paste events without a problem though.

I'm not sure what events you're talking about. The [end] end information I posted was correct, yes? What else do you mean?

Last edited by whiskeyface on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Riz  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskeyface wrote:
I know Riz would prefer Freetar users visit their forum for help, but wouldn't it be good for those members who rule the above methods as too complicated to find a helpful tutorial here? This is entirely up to Riz, and the other moderators, of course.

I have no objection to a tutorial that explains how to use Freetar's editor as a tool for GH song creation. What I don't want to have happen, is for this forum to become a general Freetar users/creators/support forum. I gather from a number of posts and PMs recently that the Freetar forums are... somewhat less active, to put it charitably, than we are here. I most assuredly do not want this place to become a replacement or even a major supplement for them. This is not the place to come for answers to general Freetar questions, because they're not getting answered in a timely fashion over there. But to the extent that questions relate directly to using their tools with an eye to conversion for GH, that's certainly fine.

Riz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.

I'd write one but I don't want to wrap my head around that program. Hopefully someone who uses it quite often will step up for the new members' benefits and write one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't write a MM tutorial because the help files that come with the program are really all you need.

Quote:
I'm not sure what events you're talking about. The [end] end information I posted was correct, yes? What else do you mean?

Yes the [end] info you posted is correct, and for the most part that is all you need to change if you want to just play your song. What I was saying, is that you can't add a Comment Event (the kind of event GH uses from what I can tell) in Anvil. This becomes a problem when you want to add new events to the list to do things like Lighting changes or band animation. This means that you can't possibly create a custom GH midi from scratch using only Anvil Studio, because you can't add any of the events needed. If you use Anvil, you have to load a GH midi and edit it, using the events that are already in place and just changing the time that they happen or the type of event fired off. So if the GH song you copied only has 5 events in the list, you can only have 5 events get fired off during your song.

Whereas in MM you can create and copy/paste all the events you could possibly need.

This isn't an issue for the people that just want to play a song real quick and don't care if the lighting sucks or if the band just stops playing halfway through the song, but it's a bit of an annoyance for the completionists like myself.
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying, now. Yes, more than likely, new members won't find this a problem, but eventually I'm going to start adjust the lighting and animations so I figure other new members will eventually, as well.

The two tracks that I said MM added were these, by the way.

EDIT: When I get more into Lighting and Animation, I'll add a chapter on how to do that as well, and with the notice that you gave me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the files for anvil dont seem to be working for me. keep keeping page missing thing. idk if its a broken link or if its just me, help anyone?

if its just me would anyone PLEASE be willing to load it to fileshare or something of the sort.
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punisher3190 wrote:
the files for anvil dont seem to be working for me. keep keeping page missing thing. idk if its a broken link or if its just me, help anyone?

if its just me would anyone PLEASE be willing to load it to fileshare or something of the sort.

Sorry, I forgot a portion of the title in the URL, but I fixed them now. Right click to save.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 1 of 41

Jump to: