ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Baltimore, MD - Ottobar - 4/16/08
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricecake  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Baltimore, MD - Ottobar - 4/16/08 Reply with quote

Edit (3/24): Updated info for new tournament on April 16.

I heard about a Guitar Hero competition at the Ottobar in Baltimore. They said there will be prizes, but I don't know what they are at this time (last time the winner got $40 gift card to the bar, second place got $20 gift card, and third got a t-shirt).

To sign up, go to the MySpace page linked to below and send them a message.

Where: The Ottobar in Baltimore, MD
When: Wednesday, April 16, 2008. Doors at 7 PM, competition starts at 8 PM
Age Limit: 18+
System: PS2 GH2, GH3, and GH80s
Admission Fee: $3 to watch or compete
Tournament Format: Head-to-head, double-elimination
Prizes: Gift certificates to the Ottobar, t-shirts, etc.

Website: http://www.myspace.com/ottobarguitarhero, http://www.theottobar.com/
Phone Number: 410-662-0069 (ask for Chuck)
E-mail Address: management@theottobar.com

Last edited by ricecake on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: ricecake138
Bizjark  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I'm talking about. An 18+ competition instead of 21+ for once. I'll try to make an attempt to be there but not too sure since I'm in a bowling league on Tuesday nights. Just hope I'm not gonna be the youngest person there, I'm 19.
ricecake  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I will be there. I went and pre-bowled this morning since my league night is also on Tuesday night BTW I'm 26.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I think I'll try to prebowl as well cause I really have been trying to find a place to play some Guitar Hero, actually haven't played in a few weeks, since before the new semester started.

Any ideas on what songs or which games or whatever for rounds? Or do you just know what's on the myspace page? Don't know what to practice, haha.
ricecake  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a message to the guy on MySpace, and updated the OP with all the info I have. Since I've been mainly playing RB, I went and played some GH80s today and yesterday to practice. Since I haven't entered any scores for it in a long long time, I was able to improve my rank by about 400, but I'm still a bit rusty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd this go?

ricecake  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a blast! There were about 20 or so people in the tourney. Most played on hard or expert, but there were a couple that played medium.

The top three finishers were:

1. Me ($40 gift card to the bar)
2. Bizjark ($20 gift card to the bar)
3. Daniel (sorry, I forgot your SH name, it's something like Whodi(?)) (T-shirt)

It was pretty nice that the top 3 were all SH members

First round, I played Daniel on Free Bird (Free Bird in the first round?!?). He whupped me by about 40k. Since it was double elimination, I got to stay in.

Daniel and I both got buys for the second round because he had the highest winning score and I had the highest losing score (long songs FTW!). We still had to play against each other for points in the second round, but the win/loss didn't count. He beat me on Radar Love by around 8k.

Third round, I played some random guy and beat him on Hit Me With Your Best Shot without any problem.

In the "playoffs" I played some random girl. She was playing on hard the whole night, but for this one we played Cult of Personality on expert. She was not an expert player, so I felt kind of bad for her.

I then played Daniel again. We played Lay Down, and I think I won by around 40k on that one. This was the only time Daniel got beat, and due to time constraints he got eliminated (prematurely in my opinion).

I then played Bizjark in the finals. Obviously, Through the Fire and Flames. He taps the intro and gets a commanding lead at the beginning, but I seemed to be a little more consistent at the fast strumming parts. The match kept going back and forth throughout, and I just barely managed to squeak by him at the end. I think I won by about 2k, maybe even less. It was an epic competition, and the closeness of it got the crowd pretty riled up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the final scores?

Bizjark  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fun night definetly. My friends bailed out on me so I ended up coming alone and was probably the only person under 21 at the whole place. There was that drunk dude that kept talking to me and randomly screaming things though, so that was funny, haha.

Anyway, for me, the first round I played was Sweet Child O Mine against some guy. Up until that match, everybody seemed to be like Hard players and I was unsure how much competition there would be. But this guy was good, and seeing as this is a song I rarely play, I did just ok at it, barely beating the guy out.

Second round was Police Truck from the 80's Edition. Personally, I think I did horrible but it was more then enough to beat the other guy I played against.

Third was Holiday in Cambodia. I saw the guy I played play earlier and knew he was pretty good, but I seemed to still get out the win in the end. The percents were my 99% to his 98% (which resulted in the announcer calling me a nerd, hahaha).

In the semi-finals, I played against the same guy I beat in the second round at One. We were pretty even during the first half of the song, but I gotta say I pulled WAY ahead when it got to the solo. And for some reason, after this song, I had to play the same guy yet again, I guess to abide to the double elimination rules. I played Black Sunshine, and actually, had the best run of that song I've ever had. Made me feel pretty confident going into the finals. I did feel kinda bad about beating the same guy 3 times in one night though, I was the only person to beat him.

Then came the finals. Like ricecake said, it obviously came down to the Dragonforce song. I was feeling pretty good about it at first, but really didn't pull it off too well. I only got like half of the beginning cause my tapping was off (pressure perhaps?) and I couldn't keep a multiplier for the life of me throughout the rest of the song. It really did come down right to the wire, we were neck and neck between like 5,000 points for the entire song, must've been really epic, especialy for those who were watching. I narrowly gained a lead near the end, but bombed the last section allowing him to take the prize.

The scores? I think it was like 352K something to 350K something. Very close. But it's cool, I came just to have fun and I definetly had it. Thanks again for the invite ricecake, if you hear of any more GH competitions, be sure to post them. I wanna rematch
artgrrl  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

ricecake wrote:
In the "playoffs" I played some random girl. She was playing on hard the whole night, but for this one we played Cult of Personality on expert. She was not an expert player, so I felt kind of bad for her.

hey, i'm the random girl you mention here. i googled "ottobar guitar hero" and found your post.

i just wanted to say that i had a *really* great time playing and watching you all. i had no idea there would be such awesome people! congrats marcus (i think) on such an epic win. you were soo close, ryan (i think). and i thought you *knew* that drunk guy who was yelling for you to win, haha. i was screaming my head off cheering you guys on during dragonforce. loved the whole night. and i've learned that i really, really need to practice lots more before i enter my next GH tourney (last night's was my first, just for shits and giggles)!

k, i'll go away now. keep rockin'!
ricecake  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

Bizjark wrote:
Anyway, for me, the first round I played was Sweet Child O Mine against some guy. Up until that match, everybody seemed to be like Hard players and I was unsure how much competition there would be. But this guy was good, and seeing as this is a song I rarely play, I did just ok at it, barely beating the guy out.

That guy is Erik, he is sabowski here on SH but he almost never posts on the forums. We have a co-op team for GH3 on PS3. Actually, he was the one that originally introduced me to GH, and I think he's a little upset because I'm better than him now

Bizjark wrote:
Then came the finals. Like ricecake said, it obviously came down to the Dragonforce song. [...] The scores? I think it was like 352K something to 350K something. Very close. But it's cool, I came just to have fun and I definetly had it. Thanks again for the invite ricecake, if you hear of any more GH competitions, be sure to post them. I wanna rematch

Yeah, those scores sound about right. Also, it was great meeting you guys. Any time I hear about any GH events, I post them up here. I still haven't had a chance to check out the GH at Nottingham's yet, but now that Prison Break is over for the season, I might try to make it next week.

artgrrl wrote:
ricecake wrote:

hey, i'm the random girl you mention here. [...] i just wanted to say that i had a *really* great time playing and watching you all. i had no idea there would be such awesome people! congrats marcus (i think) on such an epic win. you were soo close, ryan (i think). and i thought you *knew* that drunk guy who was yelling for you to win, haha. i was screaming my head off cheering you guys on during dragonforce. loved the whole night. and i've learned that i really, really need to practice lots more before i enter my next GH tourney (last night's was my first, just for shits and giggles)!

Yeah, it was great fun! Thanks for making it out. Chuck (the moderator of the tourney) approached me and wants me to help out if they run another tournament. In light of that, obviously I would post about it here, and perhaps also solicit input on how to run it to make it more fair for everybody.

artgrrl wrote:
k, i'll go away now. keep rockin'!

No need to go away, the community here is awesome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnit how did i miss this.
Whodi  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules were pretty horrendous but I had a blast.
Bizjark  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whodi wrote:
The rules were pretty horrendous but I had a blast.

I do admit the rules could've been a lot better. The "buys" in the first round weren't kinda fair with getting the most points, no song can compare to Freebird, on expert no less, haha.

Also, the difficulty thing seemed to work during the first two rounds, but in the end when it was hard players vs. expert players, in all honesty, kinda gave the expert players an easy win. I really don't know how they could fix that outside of different winners for each difficulty level.

And last was the whole switch ups between double and single elimination. I know they were running out of time, but I do think they could've stuck with one method throughout the whole tournament. Went from double for the first two rounds, single in the third round, double in the semi finals, to single in the finals. I had beat a guy twice already that night, yet on our third run against each other, if he would've beat me, I would've been beaten for good.

Well, you can't learn from methods really without trying them first. Still a lot of fun whichever way it works out, c'mon, it's GUITAR HERO, everyone's having a blast
Bizjark  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give this a bump because I've just been informed that the Ottobar is holding another Guitar Hero Competition on Wednesday April 16th. The doors will open at 7 and the competition will begin at 8, which is an hour before last times.

I was going to wait until ricecake updated or created a new thread, but I just thought it would be good to put it out here as soon as possible for potential players to make plans to come.

Other than the starting time, all the rules should be the same as what's said in the first post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: