ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Any good GH tourney guidelines?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Any good GH tourney guidelines? Reply with quote

I'm not looking for speculation here but rather for a proven format for a GH tourney. I took a quick look around and couldn't find a good reference to setting up something whether it would be here at home or in a local bar.

Any help would be appreciated if you can track down a good FAQ. I'm looking for something that has been tried and been successful. How prizes and winners were determined. How people chose to register in specific difficulties... etc...

Stuff like that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
dgendreau  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some thoughts about the hardware side if I were to do a tournament. Aside from the usual digital projector big screen and stage speaker system, I would then set up a tv on the floor facing the big screen. That would allow players to face the audience while watching the floor monitor or face the big screen, whichever they want.

I also had the idea of bringing the game's lighting effects out into the room by using second digital projector. Just un-focus it as far as it will go and aim it down on the players stage from above. Instant stage lighting!

I have heard complaints from friends that two player isnt balanced enough. They said player one seems to get more notes/points at times. I havent yet verified this in VGSPlayer though. It could just be sour grapes.

A friend of mine ran a tourney at a big LAN party at a local college. They did two player, using a simple elimination pyramid. They gave away a copy of the game/controller as the prize. If it were me, I would give away one of these instead: (same place as GuitarCenter)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517239

My reasoning is that anyone good enough to win the tournament probably already owns the game and they are probably ready to start learning the real thing. The guitar linked is inexpensive, but its a good quality SG. Epiphone is Gibson's less expensive brand name btw.

-Dan G.
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the stage lighting solution!

dgendreau wrote:
I have heard complaints from friends that two player isnt balanced enough. They said player one seems to get more notes/points at times. I havent yet verified this in VGSPlayer though. It could just be sour grapes.

Send them to this post from "acrobrat": http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1677

Ironically it's one of the first posts to go into the whole Stars vs. Score debate which was finally put to rest! LOL...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
dgendreau  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. Ill forward them a link.
BAD  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to deal with level difficulties, we just all played on Expert, but this was the setup:

8 player double elimination tournament (Bracket information can be found here http://www.foosballheaven.com/misc/foosbrackets.html they have 16 and 32 player brackets too)

I felt a double elim was more fair than a single elim since there's quite a lot of variability in scores. So one bad run or running into someone who got really lucky won't ruin someone's chance of winning the tourney.

Players were seeded by their career score from their own game at home. Quick play used instead of multi because I'm not convinced multi is balanced. Higher seeds handicapped a little by having them play first, allowing the lower seed to watch and refresh their memory of the song before they had to play. We only had 3 TVs so this wasn't that great of an advantage because people had to stand around and wait for their turn for the early rounds.

Song selection: the lower seed selected any song from Face-Melters, but they weren't allowed to select the same song more than twice or play the same song in consecutive rounds.

Obviously, 1st is the winner, 2nd is the loser of the final match, 3rd is the loser's bracket 2nd place player.

The tourney was with friends so, it was only a $5 dollar buy in, 1st got $20, 2nd $12, 3rd got $8. So really they earned $15, $7, and $3 after you subtract their buy in. Tournament took about an hour and that was with a lot of trash talking inbetween. Hope that helps.
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input BAD. I'm gathering information from everywhere I can get it!

Did you have them bring in shots of their career score, or were thay all friends you were familiar with?

Nytwolf  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on where you would set this up at?

Are you thinking public place, someone's house - Cause I think it would be cool to do at a bar or something if they didn't mind.
ES942  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nytwolf wrote:
Any idea on where you would set this up at?

Are you thinking public place, someone's house - Cause I think it would be cool to do at a bar or something if they didn't mind.

i dont think so, i wouldnt be allowed in without an adult or a fake id...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking of more like a bar and grill type place. One that serves food that younger people can be in. Not just a place that's 21 and older. Be kinda unfair to the younger guys. Although someone like ES not being in a tourney suits me just fine. I couldn't beat you on my best day![/quote]
Audhumla  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a large university where you live, having it there somewhere would likely draw lots of participants
DearXTragedy  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone here is going to western new england college next year, or is already going, look for tournaments, im definetly gonna try and start some up if i can find enough people that play. a GH fanatic buddy of mine is goin there also
IronEddie42  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western NE College - that's in Springfield MA right?

I'll participate if so ... that'll rock.

I live in Enfield CT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: