ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
DJ Hero tanks at retail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesdude  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: DJ Hero tanks at retail Reply with quote

Well this is tragic.

http://kotaku.com/5403712/october-sales-dj-hero-tanks-brutal-legend-well
Quote:

It's a veritable Modern Warfare 2 when you compare it to DJ Hero, however, which only sold 122,300 units. Across four platforms. Yes, it was only on sale for five days in October (still a long enough time to pick up decent numbers), but this was Activision's first crack at their own "Hero" game. It had an expensive marketing campaign, and was backed by heavyweights like Daft Punk, Jay-Z and DJ Shadow.

Quote:
DJ Hero (360) - 62,000 units
DJ Hero (PS3) - 39,000 units
DJ Hero (Wii) - 19,000 units
DJ Hero (PS2) - 3,300 units

Ouch. Well, here's to a quick price drop for those of us who haven't picked it up yet but are waiting for a price drop, I guess... but unless those sales pick up, say goodbye to any chance of a sequel.

toymachine wrote:

Welcome to Scorehero. Where we dissect sections of Dragonforce songs so the official chart can disappoint us in some minute way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: nesdude128
thespike  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was on sale for 5 days. If the sales still suck after Christmas, there won't be a sequel. I don't even have it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
SpoonMan  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray for unfairly skewed results comparing apples to potatoes. this article is completely meaningless. what were guitar hero 1's sales like in the first FIVE DAYS? i would imagine they were not very impressive at all.
All Guitar-Only Games
WINNING.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others said, 5 days. Yea.

PLUS, it was on sell when MW2, Dragon Age: Origins, and L4D2 was. Not a good couple of weeks/months to release a new game, especially a first of its kind. Give it until christmas (which is when ill be getting my copy)

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am optimistic about the future of the dj hero line, I think the price tag of a controller + game being 30 bucks MORE than a full band set is definitely holding it back...

The good news though, is that just like gh1, everyone who's bought dj hero (that I've chatted with at least) is raving about it to everyone they know. Just like gh1, it's got some flaws still.. but I think we'll definitely see a sequal. Even if only because that is activision's line of business lol ^_^

On a side note: I think activision severly overestimates the advantages of "heavy weight (enter celebrity name here)" endorsements and sales. GH3 is one of the best selling in the franchise still, and it only brought 2 names into the game that anyone cared about (fuck sex pistols) and neither of them was really a selling point.. but more of "flavor for the fans"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick search, but I can't find anything relating to sales figures earlier than GH3. I'd assume that's because 1 and 2 weren't initially very successful. GH3 is where things really took off.

I hope there is a DJH sequel, it'd help justify spending £170 on the deluxe edition :/
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These numbers are NOTHING to go off, given that it was only over a 5 day period...

Besides, give it until January to get a firm footing in the gaming market. DJ Hero will be like it was when GH first came to light. Someone will try it, love it, and go out and buy it for themselves...

Well, Kotaku sucks sometimes. That's today's lesson kids.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kotaku sucks alot, now that you mention it <_< I've never went to their site, but I've seen many, many stupid posts quoting kotaku.. usually followed by some raging flame war (against kotaku, who isn't even here) or some serious trolling...

They like to put their foot in their mouth. Maybe they're like the TMZ of the intarweb.

Either way, with a price tag like dj hero has, most ppl prolly won't buy it until after they've tried it, or a friend refers them. 3 ppl have bought it because I got it. That's how this game will get going. No big name celebrity, or 5 day sales figures is gonna change that. 120 for 1 controller with a game? even for wii customers, that's alot O_O

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Hero over a 5 day period: 24,600 sales a day.
Beatles Rock Band over a 22 day period: 28,333 sales a day.
Guitar Hero 5 over a 30 day period: 16,633 sales a day.

I'd say DJ Hero is doing great.
beingmused  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hafkie wrote:
DJ Hero over a 5 day period: 24,600 sales a day.
Beatles Rock Band over a 22 day period: 28,333 sales a day.
Guitar Hero 5 over a 30 day period: 16,633 sales a day.

I'd say DJ Hero is doing great.

It is too early to draw conclusions, but this is a remarkably bad argument considering game sales are going to be weighted towards the day and week of release. If DJ Hero has sold 24k per day in its first 5 days, it will look more like 5k per day when you look at the first month.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
sextypething  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that they jumped to conclusions in saying DJ Hero 'tanked', seeing how 5 days of sales obviously isn't a fair representation of the game.

I remember release day at my Best Buy they didn't even have any copies of the Reg Edition so I bought Renegade anyways, so I'm sure little things like this have something to do with it. (Not saying many, but these small things can always play a part on people immediately buying games.)

Also, look at games like classic Guitar Hero, it didn't take off exponentially right away.

Kotaku is starting to stink, especially with nothing but non-stop MW2 coverage the past weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xTHExLOCUSTx
Graf  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day I bought the game, I walked into Applebee's and sat down with some friends to eat lunch. During our stay there, I was approached by over 15 people who said they wished they could get the game, but wanted to see how good it was first.

A lot of people are waiting on their friends to tell them how it is, or waiting to try it. I am sure the game's sales will pick up by Christmas. Hopefully by New Year the game will be selling well and they will be thinking about a sequel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
A lot of people are waiting on their friends to tell them how it is, or waiting to try it.

One of my friends got interested in rhythm games (I showed him GH3 and WT this time) and bought WT and Metallica.
He didn't get GH5/SH/BH (yet ? :p), he doesn't play much. But when I showed him DJ Hero, he was like "oh man, that is so cool, interesting concept and music is so good".
The day after, he bought the game.

What Graf said is totally true.

< barely, but yay \o/
S8BB-1 League 14th season/p-o semi-finalist
My Acc. Thread / My RB DLC / / GH3H SP sheet ? / Band Acc / X guitar ESL2 : December 10, 2008
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Kane40Be
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
The day I bought the game, I walked into Applebee's and sat down with some friends to eat lunch. During our stay there, I was approached by over 15 people who said they wished they could get the game, but wanted to see how good it was first.

A lot of people are waiting on their friends to tell them how it is, or waiting to try it. I am sure the game's sales will pick up by Christmas. Hopefully by New Year the game will be selling well and they will be thinking about a sequel
Yes. I would've been one of those people who were sitting and said that "Oh shit, that game looks awesome!"

Still, I'm uneven on this game.

I might buy it, but seeing it's 120(?) dollars it's going to be very annoying with anything else that comes out. Also, with everyone saying there's no chances for a sequel, I really wouldn't have a problem with NVS/ACT taking on a new challenge by throwing DLC like RB2, and I might just buy it then.
maxninja114  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to this website: http://www.mcvuk.com/features/584/Heroic-Deeds, Activision is planning on releasing fewer "Hero" titles for 2010, only focusing on bringing more DLC for both GH, BH, and DJ Hero.

Are there plans for a DJ Hero 2? Who knows, but if they can lower their price and bring in good DLC, they just might >_>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: