ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Vocal Difficulty per Game
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
werelord  
 




Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 1494

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Vocal Difficulty per Game Reply with quote

I was wondering since I'm gaining momentum as a vocalist how difficult each game is. Like what's considered the easiest...what's considered the hardest...what's in the middle?
I thought it was something like this
SH<WT<VH<M<5<BH

Can someone explain to me which games are harder then others?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 4849421951901212
tidus  
 




Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 4391
Location: Anywhere but U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, as a 360 player (inorite), would go like this:

5<SH<BH<WT<M (don't have Van Halen, so I really can't make an opinion about it).

Really, Metallica is my worst GH. Despite being slightly more forgiving than WT, it's really hard to keep a combo with the need of get a green flash. Not so sure about the BH placement, the charts are so evil on that game...but the GH5 engine tempts me into putting BH there
_________________
sentimentalgeek wrote:
But yeah, lol @ the fact that you can say "she" in this thread and not be sure which person is being talked about. Now we know whose milkshake brings all the girls to the yard.
<3 this.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
boss1592  
 




Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 1333
Location: Northern Ireland, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash hits is no doubt the easiest, there are only 4 or 5 overly tricky songs, none of which are too much of a problem with some practice

next easiest is probably world tour, it has the easiest engine, as both solids and exellents will allow you to keep combo, but some of the hardest songs. good god, never too late, L'va, one way or another, they are some of the hardest songs in the whole GH series

next up we have GH5. the engine can take some getting used to, but is easier than the old engine, however this game has one major obsticle if you were going for a FGFC: Superstition. by far the hardest song in the game and one of the absolute hardest songs ever, you need serious chops to take down this beast.

2nd Hardest is band hero, same engine as GH5, but with harder songs overall, especcially ABC and american pie. no song in this game is as hard as superstition, but having more hard songs overall puts this game where it is

and the hardest game ever, by a mile, is guitar hero metallica. the brutal vox engine 1.5 returns, accompnied by the hardest songs of all time. stone cold crazy, the boys are back in town, tuesdays gone, fight fire with fire, they are all insane. metallica, by a distance, is the hardest game on vox of all time.
_________________

In Boss We Trust
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
werelord  
 




Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 1494

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies even though they confused me all the more. First off why is GHWT so overrated tidus? Secondly boss, why is GH5 imo underrated it may because I'm just not used to it yet, but I can't even FG5* and I'm halfway to FGFC on GHM...also where does BH fit in?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 4849421951901212
tidus  
 




Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 4391
Location: Anywhere but U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werelord wrote:
Thanks for the replies even though they confused me all the more. First off why is GHWT so overrated tidus? Secondly boss, why is GH5 imo underrated it may because I'm just not used to it yet, but I can't even FG5* and I'm halfway to FGFC on GHM...also where does BH fit in?

That's why I'm in doubt about the BH placement. This was more engine-wise.

Now, if I were doing something based on my overall scores and the charts themselves, I'd totally go like this:

SH<5<WT<BH<M


But again, maybe I'm biased.
_________________
sentimentalgeek wrote:
But yeah, lol @ the fact that you can say "she" in this thread and not be sure which person is being talked about. Now we know whose milkshake brings all the girls to the yard.
<3 this.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
werelord  
 




Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 1494

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidus wrote:
werelord wrote:
Thanks for the replies even though they confused me all the more. First off why is GHWT so overrated tidus? Secondly boss, why is GH5 imo underrated it may because I'm just not used to it yet, but I can't even FG5* and I'm halfway to FGFC on GHM...also where does BH fit in?

That's why I'm in doubt about the BH placement. This was more engine-wise.

Now, if I were doing something based on my overall scores and the charts themselves, I'd totally go like this:

SH<5<WT<BH<M


But again, maybe I'm biased.


Ok, but if it was by engine why did M win out? Arn't the GH5/BH engines much tighter then WT and M/SH engines?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 4849421951901212
dr00bles  
 




Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 586
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I'd rate them, with 1 being hardest.

6. GHWT - I have to rate this as the easiest, just because a "Solid" (yellow flash) will keep your combo. Yeah, there are some really tough songs here, but having the combo leniency really makes them more bearable. If only a green flash would keep your combo, it might be among the hardest games.

5. GH:SH - Agree with what most people said. This game is pretty managable (at least relatively), but still has a couple of doozies. Killer Queen, Play With Me, and the dreaded Nothin' But a Good Time are brutal.

4. GH5 - Lots of songs, including a few really tough ones to do well on (let alone FC). Superstition, Sultans of Swing, Sweating Bullets, Sympathy for the Devil... you know, all the songs that start with "S," basically. A fairly forgiving engine compared to previous games makes this less of a challenge than it could have been otherwise.

3. BH - Fewer songs with the GH5 engine, but boy, are these tough! This game was seemingly made to challenge singers.

2. GHM - Yes, a lot really tough ones here. Obviously Stone Cold Crazy is among the hardest songs to FC of all time, but there's also Fight Fire With Fire, the Boys are Back in Town, and Tuesday's Gone. Plus, these songs average like 7 minutes. Choke city.

1. GHVH - This is, in my opinion, the hardest vocals GH game. David Lee Roth is positively crazy, and his wails, improvisations, and zany melodies make almost every song tricky. Not one song is all talkies, so no freebies here. Very difficult songs include I Want It All, Semi-Charmed Life, and I'm The One. Plus, it has what is in my opinion the hardest vocals song ever: Ice Cream Man.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: dro0bles
werelord  
 




Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 1494

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
Here's how I'd rate them, with 1 being hardest.

6. GHWT - I have to rate this as the easiest, just because a "Solid" (yellow flash) will keep your combo. Yeah, there are some really tough songs here, but having the combo leniency really makes them more bearable. If only a green flash would keep your combo, it might be among the hardest games.

5. GH:SH - Agree with what most people said. This game is pretty managable (at least relatively), but still has a couple of doozies. Killer Queen, Play With Me, and the dreaded Nothin' But a Good Time are brutal.

4. GH5 - Lots of songs, including a few really tough ones to do well on (let alone FC). Superstition, Sultans of Swing, Sweating Bullets, Sympathy for the Devil... you know, all the songs that start with "S," basically. A fairly forgiving engine compared to previous games makes this less of a challenge than it could have been otherwise.

3. BH - Fewer songs with the GH5 engine, but boy, are these tough! This game was seemingly made to challenge singers.

2. GHM - Yes, a lot really tough ones here. Obviously Stone Cold Crazy is among the hardest songs to FC of all time, but there's also Fight Fire With Fire, the Boys are Back in Town, and Tuesday's Gone. Plus, these songs average like 7 minutes. Choke city.

1. GHVH - This is, in my opinion, the hardest vocals GH game. David Lee Roth is positively crazy, and his wails, improvisations, and zany melodies make almost every song tricky. Not one song is all talkies, so no freebies here. Very difficult songs include I Want It All, Semi-Charmed Life, and I'm The One. Plus, it has what is in
my opinion the hardest vocals song ever: Ice Cream Man.


Interesting opinion I guess I was really underestimating VH(havn't played it yet.) But again I ask why everyone thinks the WT or M/SH engine is tougher then GH5/BH engine? I've played it on both wii and 360 and in my opinion GH5/BH is WAY harder...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 4849421951901212
Yusuke  
 




Joined: 04 Nov 2006
Posts: 1662

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr00bles wrote:
Superstition, Sultans of Swing, Sweating Bullets, Sympathy for the Devil... you know, all the songs that start with "S," basically.


You forgot So Lonely

also I don't get why people see S4TD as so hard, theres only a couple phrases where he varies from his standard pitches <_<
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: x Yusuke23 x
sentimentalgeek  
 




Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 1075
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to familiarity with songs, another reason people may have different opinions about the difficulty of the vocal engines may have something to do not just with what percent of the phrase is required to keep combo, but also how lenient the games are for pitch matching. Does anyone know how many semitones of forgiveness each game has?

For some people, maybe it's easier for to hit 95% of a phrase with 2 semitones of forgiveness, rather than hitting 85% with only 1 semitone of forgiveness. But other people may feel the opposite way. Does that make any sense? Just a thought...

I find it hard to compare the games because they each feel so different to me but GH:VH is imo the hardest, followed by GH:M. The rest - well, honestly I think it varies song by song at that point but generally I find GH5/BH easier when I know the song, and GH:WT/GH:SH easier when I don't know it.
_________________
RB1/RB2/GHWT Expert Vocal/Voxtar Vids
84/84 RB2 Expert Vocals FCed on Oct 20, 2008!
ACCS: GH | RB | RB2 | PH Balanced
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
werelord  
 




Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 1494

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentimentalgeek wrote:
In addition to familiarity with songs, another reason people may have different opinions about the difficulty of the vocal engines may have something to do not just with what percent of the phrase is required to keep combo, but also how lenient the games are for pitch matching. Does anyone know how many semitones of forgiveness each game has?

For some people, maybe it's easier for to hit 95% of a phrase with 2 semitones of forgiveness, rather than hitting 85% with only 1 semitone of forgiveness. But other people may feel the opposite way. Does that make any sense? Just a thought...

I find it hard to compare the games because they each feel so different to me but GH:VH is imo the hardest, followed by GH:M. The rest - well, honestly I think it varies song by song at that point but generally I find GH5/BH easier when I know the song, and GH:WT/GH:SH easier when I don't know it.

I think I agree with you. Which would explain why I find GH5 so hard since I don't know the songs well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 4849421951901212
ElementOfZero  
 




Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Posts: 2262
Location: Lake Park, Georgia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's something I'm not doing right, because Smash Hits was the hardest for me--and that's just passing songs. But, the 5-star all Van Halen songs is going to be a bitch judging from all the songs I've played on it so far.
_________________

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
tidus  
 




Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 4391
Location: Anywhere but U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have notion of how badly I was underplaying GHWT. In fact, I was giving way too much emphasis to how many semitons of forgiveness it has. But that's right, the player can always abuse the fact that he/she can get Yellows to keep combo.

Band Hero, in the other part, is still a lost cause for me in comparison to GH5, especially because of the charts, filled with blatantly short phrases, as if poppy songs weren't mostly complex enough on Vocals. Chances of me resisting the tempation of going like this someday...

GHWT<GH5<GHSH<BH<M

...will be null. Identical to dr00bles' opinion, but I'd honestly prefer the dreaded "S" songs of the GH5 setlist over breaking combo after most of the SP activations on GHSH due to not finding a darker venue to minimize the serious transparent highway problem. Also, GH5 is more forgiving pitch-wise.

So, as you can see, I'm doing an average of the factors I considered, such as pitch and combo leniency, charts, technical aspects (like the damn highway). So Metallica is dreaded in every of these aspects and will be firmly my worst GH Vocal game I can play, as I'm not a bit interested on buying Van Halen. I can't get beyond 5 FC's, and can't get even close to Full-Game to save my life.
_________________
sentimentalgeek wrote:
But yeah, lol @ the fact that you can say "she" in this thread and not be sure which person is being talked about. Now we know whose milkshake brings all the girls to the yard.
<3 this.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
Back to top
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
ironsalsa  
 




Joined: 09 Mar 2008
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On PS2 I might contend that GHWT is the hardest, only because of the bugs in the vocal system that cause the comet to jitter all over the place even when you're holding a note or not singing at all.

I think they fixed it - at least it seemed better - by GHM, so after that I'd rely on conventional wisdom above on what's harder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MasterNobody  
 




Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 2785
Location: Wake Forest University (NC)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a general consensus on Van Halen? Seems to me like it's around the difficulty of Metallica
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address XBL Gamertag: Master Nobody
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Copyright © 2006-2013 ScoreHero, LLC
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy


Powered by phpBB