ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Sound Good?!?!?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kire  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sound Good?!?!?!? Reply with quote

Ok, here's the deal.

I decided to make some vocals videos just for the sake of it.

when I played back my video I sounded so gay when doing high pitches, and didn't sound that good on low ones...

So is there any technique that will help me to be able to sing decently?

Pieman on IRC wrote:
21:43 JustPieman2 Okay so
21:44 JustPieman2 Dave Mustaine walked into a bakery
21:44 JustPieman2 There was a Tornado of Rolls!
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by your signature, you're already a talented and accomplished vocalist. If your only problem is that you don't sound like a perfect tenor/baritone/whatever, I can't help you there.

But I really don't think you need a lot of help; everyone is different and consequently not all of the techniques will work for you. In the end, you just have to go with what's most comfortable for you, and if that means sounding like fingernails on a blackboard on high pitches and like an Drop-A tuned bass on the low pitches, so be it.

Of course, someone may post a technique below that does work for you - don't feel inclined to stick to your roots - practice the technique(s) and decide which one works best for you.
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard said it right. If you're not used to what you naturally sound like when hearing it back, then it might come back as a bit of a shock.
I found that out for myself when hearing my own voice down the phone on local radio once or twice; I thought I'd sound sweet, but in reality I sounded like I was 40 years older (which is never a good thing!!).

That said, everyone has a different sounded voice. Sure, I've had a lot of grief for my own but that didn't put me down. What matters the most is you nail the pitches and put it through in your own way. It doesn't matter if you don't sound like a profesional, because I don't think any of us vocalists are; just be yourself. That's all I can suggest, really.

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
kire  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, but my problem doesn't lie on hitting the notes, it lies on sounding good for videos, cause I don't wanna sound like a dying cat on video... when I'm singing myself with no recording I don't mind singing normally with my dying cat voice, but for videos it isn't really helpful

Pieman on IRC wrote:
dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kire wrote:
thanks for the tips, but my problem doesn't lie on hitting the notes, it lies on sounding good for videos, cause I don't wanna sound like a dying cat on video... when I'm singing myself with no recording I don't mind singing normally with my dying cat voice, but for videos it isn't really helpful

This has been the age-long dilemma for most of the vocalists with the exception of a few when it comes to GH/RB singing.

Most of the time when trying to match the pitches of a song, sacrificing quality of your sound is required. It really comes down to:

1. Is the song within your natural singing range?
2. Is the song that you are totally familiar with that you can easily miss a slim part of certain phrases and yet still get excellent?
3. Does this song fit your singing style?

My suggestion is that you get totally cold with the song first so FC will not be a problem. Then just play with singing either on the original octave or lower/higher ones to compare the difference. I am assuming the "dying cat" often occur during the high note? (I am more of a screeching cat myself)

Also, stand while you sing thus it helps your airflow and your sound (if you are not already doing it).

In closing, it will probably take you multiple times before you have a take you like enough to upload up. Good luck dude!! But then again, be shameless, be really shameless ^^

ROCK ON!!!

My YouTube Channel
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips from dogfood (^^), but I *still* sit down most of the time because if I *do* stand up, I find it hard to read the pitches correctly on my TV. (yep, my TV's on a low bench.) You may attack it differently depending on its position.

But as kire said, he was referring to how his voice came out in the actual video. After seeing your run for "Tuesday's Gone" (which I thought was a great attempt btw ), I can see exactly why - it's harder to get a clear voice portrayed in direct-capture recordings than it is when putting your camera in front of the TV screen. And most of it is due to how the microphone picks up your voice in-game - it either comes out as really quiet in spite of maxing volume, or really distorted if you sing too close (or in the case of GH5, it'll *always* be distorted).

What I did to rectify this issue is that I bought myself a cheap dictaphone from a good electronics store (or if you're in the UK like me, go to Argos ), and ran that alongside the captured recording. Then assuming you've got good video software to put it together, it's a case of synching the two resulting recordings with each other. Airshock22, who has also mainly done capture device recordings in the past, had done a similar thing by using the audio input on his *own* camera to pick up his voice when recording his run on "Nearly Lost You" (see the gh video reference thread), so that's two examples of how your voice can be better portrayed.

Given that you used Pinnacle (and so do I), I'm pretty sure that something like this shouldn't be a problem. Hope it helps

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
kire  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips wooffus, that was exactly was I was thinking of doing, I'm gonna get my computer mic, and record both at the same time if I can, for future runs

Pieman on IRC wrote:
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you plan to use a desktop mic, be very careful. Running both that and your capture device efficiently all depends on how much RAM your PC has. I tried that once but the mic recording turned out to be mostly muted :s

But I'm safely assuming your PC's better than mine anyway

kire  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, and well I have both a laptop and my desktop, so if anything I can use both of them to record separate.

Pieman on IRC wrote:
gx1010  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about sound. I just care about getting a good score and making my voice good enough to match the required pitch.
mega48man  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only sound gay if you're doing gay songs. or if you're singing songs by yourself in your room recording with a weak webcam, that's for n00bs. gets some friends to to join you so you don't look like an idiot and use a high quality camera with a high quality microphone. you could even buy a separate microphone to attach to the camera (if you want). and don't be afraid to sing loudly and strong, b/c you have to remember one thing, when playing any part in a band: if you have no passion for the music, then you suck arse.

and about the songs, i'm dead serious. don't go singing alternative or punk rock, they're bad at singing anyway. if you wanna do david bowie and/or queen, go for it, freddie mecury's openly gay, just letting you know.

there's music that will test your vocal prowess, and that's god damn heavy metal. think about it, you'll sound good even on the blackest and screamyist of metal and no one will think your gay b/c the metal community will come at anyone that trys to shoot us down like a 50,000 man army.

i saw that you sang painkiller on rockband, good, stick to rob halford, he kicks ass. try 'More than Meets the Eye' by TESTAMENT. i'm sure you know that song, it sounds awesome and it's a ton of fun to sing out loud. i bet you know this one to: Deadly Sinners by 3 inches of blood. for that song, you'll need to sing REEEEALLY high and loud, it'll test your ability to scream high with precision. it's not on any guitar hero or rock band that i know of though, just find it on youtube and sing along i guess.
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but I've got a few points to contradict here.

mega48man wrote:
if you're singing songs by yourself in your room recording with a weak webcam, that's for n00bs.

Sorry, but most of the Vocal community wants a word with you. A lot of them use webcams, not the expensive shit that they may not afford, so give them a break on *how* they record.

mega48man wrote:
gets some friends to to join you so you don't look like an idiot

No one can *see* you on camera anyway, so what are you talking about?
And if you've been around the community long enough, people tend to perform better when they're ALONE while recording. Doing these vocal recordings is almost identical to singing in the shower in a way - you feel good doing it, and you're doing some good for the community either way.

mega48man wrote:
and about the songs, i'm dead serious. don't go singing alternative or punk rock, they're bad at singing anyway. if you wanna do david bowie and/or queen, go for it, freddie mecury's openly gay, just letting you know.

Yawn. *Everyone* on freakin' Youtube has a tendancy to do David Bowie and Queen stuff because, of course, they're amongst the most difficult songs to sing in the game. -_- I'd prefer it when people do things differently.
Also, what's wrong with alternative and punk rock anyway? Sure, there are tracks in that genre that are so difficult to pull off, "The Rock Show" for example, but they're there for people that have problems trying to pass or FC the songs themselves, so who cares about how they're presented?
Besides, I'm actually quite proud of my run on "Disconnected", because I did indeed have a good passion for it. punk rock or not

mega48man wrote:
there's music that will test your vocal prowess, and that's god damn heavy metal. think about it, you'll sound good even on the blackest and screamyist of metal and no one will think your gay b/c the metal community will come at anyone that trys to shoot us down like a 50,000 man army.

Uhh...
As far as I'm concerned, I've yet to see a proper death metal song test someone's vocal capabilities in the Guitar Hero series. Surprisingly, most of them end up being the easiest ones to FC, so they don't test anything at all other than what people's screaming ability is like.
The REAL songs that test your vocal prowess are those that have a huge range of notes to begin with. In terms of actual metal bands, I'm more likely looking towards Iron Maiden mostly, but otherwise, the real hard songs to sing in the community are often in the fields of *pop* music.

But seriously, before you jump in on such conclusions, you try taking up vocals *yourself*. With the way you tried to answer this question, you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, no offence.

tidus  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mega48man wrote:
stuff

Man, that was really ignorant and uncalled for. Have you ever played vocals personally?

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
boss1592  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mega48man wrote:
you only sound gay if you're doing gay songs. or if you're singing songs by yourself in your room recording with a weak webcam, that's for n00bs. gets some friends to to join you so you don't look like an idiot and use a high quality camera with a high quality microphone. you could even buy a separate microphone to attach to the camera (if you want). and don't be afraid to sing loudly and strong, b/c you have to remember one thing, when playing any part in a band: if you have no passion for the music, then you suck arse.

i saw that you sang painkiller on rockband, good, stick to rob halford, he kicks ass. try 'More than Meets the Eye' by TESTAMENT. i'm sure you know that song, it sounds awesome and it's a ton of fun to sing out loud. i bet you know this one to: Deadly Sinners by 3 inches of blood. for that song, you'll need to sing REEEEALLY high and loud, it'll test your ability to scream high with precision. it's not on any guitar hero or rock band that i know of though, just find it on youtube and sing along i guess.

im sorry, but im afraid im going to have to respectfully disagree with 100% of this post

mega48man wrote:
you only sound gay if you're doing gay songs

um... no, you only sound gay if you happen to be singing the song in a camp voice, and even then i fail to see how it matters. and how exactly do you define a "gay" song? is a song about gay people? a song by gay people? a song that you call gay as a substitute for the word bad, which is stupid to begin with and is entirely opinionated.

mega48man wrote:
or if you're singing songs by yourself in your room recording with a weak webcam, that's for n00bs.

how exactly is using a webcam for "n00bs"? i was unaware that ones recording equipment affected ones performance in the game. fair enough, if the microphone is lacking in quality then it might but A. he isnt asking us about recording equipment and B. did the thought ever occur to you that some people cant afford decent gear? hard to beleive i know considering the worlds current financial state.

mega48man wrote:
gets some friends to to join you so you don't look like an idiot
as woofus said, you more often than not wont be able to see whoever is recording themselves, but even if you could, so what, hes asking us how to sound good, not how to look good.

mega48man wrote:
and don't be afraid to sing loudly and strong, b/c you have to remember one thing, when playing any part in a band: if you have no passion for the music, then you suck arse.

strong words dont you think? we arent talking about performing a live gig here, we are talking about a game, and just cos someone isnt passionate doesnt mean that they "suck arse"... it just means they arent passionate.

mega48man wrote:
and about the songs, i'm dead serious. don't go singing alternative or punk rock, they're bad at singing anyway.

*resists urge to flame* dont u think thats just a teeny tiny bit of a generalisation. there is nothing wrong with alternative or punk. entirely opinionated point.

mega48man wrote:
there's music that will test your vocal prowess, and that's god damn heavy metal.

no it wont, metal is usually amongst the easiest genres to sing.

mega48man wrote:
think about it, you'll sound good even on the blackest and screamyist of metal
sure... unless you cant scream very well.

mega48man wrote:
and no one will think your gay b/c the metal community will come at anyone that trys to shoot us down like a 50,000 man army.

stirring speech, but what exactly does it have to do with anything?

mega48man wrote:
i bet you know this one to: Deadly Sinners by 3 inches of blood. for that song, you'll need to sing REEEEALLY high and loud, it'll test your ability to scream high with precision. it's not on any guitar hero or rock band that i know of though, just find it on youtube and sing along i guess

mega48man wrote:
it's not on any guitar hero or rock band that i know of though

then whats the point in mentioning it?

so, to summerize, try playing the game before calling people "n00bs" as it sure as fuck doesnt seem like you have ever tried GH singing in your life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
sfal  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a real singer would probably have a difficult time getting a 100% on their own song given the game's demands and oddness, much less on somebody else's song that wasn't in their range and style and so on.

For here, a better separate mic could help. Although I'd guess very few people sound good and score high.

As for the rest.... Uh, yeah, Mercury was gay, and Halford still is. What is it they say, don't feed the trolls? ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: