ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What are you playing right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illiniguy  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Kart 7, Final Fantasy VI (III on SNES), and I'm buying Battleblock Theater soon. Game looks awesome, and I'm definitely willing to trust the fine people who made Castle Crashers with their games.
Kathya  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Bioshock Infinite, still processing the ending, could use a discussion on it.
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far this year I have enjoyed

-Ni no Kuni
-Tomb Raider
-Far Cry 3
-Bit.Trip Runner 2
-Bioshock Infinite
-Injustice

Those are the new releases I've played or am playing.

Trying to play Chrono Trigger... I really like the story, but the PSX version on PSN seems to have REALLY slow load times. Anyone know if there's a better copy I can buy that doesn't take like 45 seconds to load up every battle or new area?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't beaten Ni No Kuni. I keep savoring it because I don't want the ending to come. This game has a lot of false endings so I know I'm gonna be shell shocked when it's finally over. I just love the game, it brings out some sort of childlike wonder in me.

I also beat Bioshock Infinite but I would hate to ruin it for anyone, so no discussion from me... First thing I did after beating it was go to the internet and look up explanations of WTF happened. Great game, but Bioshock 1 is still the best imo.

Hoping to buy Tomb Raider eventually, and also Watch Dogs if that doesn't come out for next gen only. Other than that I really have no games I'm looking forward to. Hopefully E3 will change that, but saving some money right now couldn't hurt.

I'm mostly conflicted on Assassin's Creed 4. I've always wanted to play a pirate game, but the ending of AC3 soured me on the whole series so much that I almost don't want to buy Black Flag.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
illiniguy  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I've always wanted to play a pirate game

I completely zoned in on this so this will only be at most tangentially related, but play Sid Meier's Pirates, particularly the 2004 PC remake. It is a phenomenal pirate game. Nothing like Assassin's Creed, but it's a lot of fun.
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I also beat Bioshock Infinite but I would hate to ruin it for anyone, so no discussion from me... First thing I did after beating it was go to the internet and look up explanations of WTF happened. Great game, but Bioshock 1 is still the best imo.

I think everyone was supposed to take something different from Infinite's ending. Also Infinite grabbed me and wouldn't let go in ways that Bioshock just has not been able to. I've restarted the game several times now trying to muscle through it, but it's just not as interesting as Infinite to me at all. Is it the tone? The characters? I don't know. I just can't get into the first one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, it's the opposite for me. I absolutely powered through Bioshock, but I started Bioshock Infinite about a week ago and still haven't gotten through it.

Granted the story so far in Infiite has been brilliant, just the gameplay isn't really that grasping to me (granted I keep getting distracted by tremendous gameplay games: XCOM, Dark Souls and Don't Starve).
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
illiniguy  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you value story and "experience" over gameplay, Infinite is the better game. If gameplay is more important, the original is better. Personally I prefer the original, but they're both phenomenal games.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I wish that Bioschock Infinite was just called something else, since it has a completely different feel than Bioshock 1 and should be treated as a totally separate work of art. The art direction and ideas are really cool and the whole game is just beautiful, definitely. Gameplay is fun especially with the skylines.

But this video explains really well why I felt Infinite fell short in a few ways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc15KgfNJsw

It's still an excellent game, and possibly GOTY for me, but Bioshock 1 just nailed the tone that I found so intriguing. One of the points in the video above was that so much work was put into making Columbia look vibrant and full of life, but other than only a couple of scenes most characters are just endless enemies, the city doesn't feel alive after a certain point. Seeing the former citizens turned into splicers in Bioshock 1 is just much more affecting, because you have to imagine how these splicers might have been as regular people and you feel a bit bad for killing them (since they're basically just drug addicts). The enemies in Infinite are just bullet sponges, plus there's nothing in it as cool as the Big Daddys and Little Sisters were

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
To be honest I wish that Bioschock Infinite was just called something else, since it has a completely different feel than Bioshock 1 and should be treated as a totally separate work of art. The art direction and ideas are really cool and the whole game is just beautiful, definitely. Gameplay is fun especially with the skylines.

But this video explains really well why I felt Infinite fell short in a few ways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc15KgfNJsw

It's still an excellent game, and possibly GOTY for me, but Bioshock 1 just nailed the tone that I found so intriguing. One of the points in the video above was that so much work was put into making Columbia look vibrant and full of life, but other than only a couple of scenes most characters are just endless enemies, the city doesn't feel alive after a certain point. Seeing the former citizens turned into splicers in Bioshock 1 is just much more affecting, because you have to imagine how these splicers might have been as regular people and you feel a bit bad for killing them (since they're basically just drug addicts). The enemies in Infinite are just bullet sponges, plus there's nothing in it as cool as the Big Daddys and Little Sisters were

Aside from the issues with immersion (which I understand but generally see as nit picky, personally) all I'm really hearing from that video is "I liked the original more." Which is cool... it's just that that's pretty much all his points. And as someone who sits on the opposite side of things, all I can really say is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QsogswrH6ck#t=4s

I really loved and connected with the characters and plot. I'm on my third playthrough right now. I'll be playing it on 1999 mode as well. The plot encourages you to play more than once. I appreciate those knowing high fives. In fact, I particularly loved the one in the basement of the bar and I drew my own theories about the plot from that particular scene, some of which I haven't heard from anyone else. The other reason I'll be playing on higher difficulties is that I realized two things from my second playthrough. One is that it does seem as though you can just power through on Normal with just one or two powers. The other is that there is some higher strategy to beating enemies. You just pretty much don't have to use it on your first time through the game on Normal... maybe even Hard to some degree. I just don't understand why the guy would be critical of any aspect of the difficulty then dismiss the highest difficulty setting as "being harder for no reason". Other than some small issues, all I'm really hearing is difference of opinion/taste. *shrug* Guess that's the main thing it comes down to.

I don't normally like first person shooters. There have been a few recently that have totally taken me by surprise. Those being B:I and Far Cry 3.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also started playing Thomas Was Alone. Which is 200% worth every penny they're charging for it on PSN.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Hailz that it's a bit odd to call it Bioshock, but I do understand why considering it's really just a reworking of the "Shock" structure.

Both System Shock and Bioshock 1 were you arriving at a wiped out collapsed utopia and trying to piece together what had happened and trying to fight your way through the now insane former citizens. And the whole thing had some nudgings of horror as well (System Shock 2 much more than Bioshock).

Where as Bioshock Infinite is never really scary or frightening in its atmosphere (aside from two parts I can think of, and only for a short period), and you arrive at a full blown utopia and instead watch it crumble before your eyes.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
BloodyFistHole  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedbyu wrote:
Edit: Forgot to mention I also started playing Thomas Was Alone. Which is 200% worth every penny they're charging for it on PSN.

I got it the other day from Playstation Plus and it is a tremendous game! Highly recommend it. I'd wait for a price drop, though (or subscribe to PS+) because I had 100% on it in 2-3 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm playing a game I never played before (but really should've). It's Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Also, anyone have any idea how to beat the second Barthandelus fight in Final Fantasy XIII with a team of Lightning, Hope, and Fang?

inv4der  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalhead911 wrote:
Also, anyone have any idea how to beat the second Barthandelus fight in Final Fantasy XIII with a team of Lightning, Hope, and Fang?

Don't use Hope (or Snow) if you don't have to. Ever. Literally the best strategy in FF13. The speedrunners use Sazh, Vanille and Fang for a reason. Other than that, look up upgrade guides, use Sazh's Blitz.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how repetitive and monotonous Castle Crashers is, I find myself playing it again. Just started a new character and leveled only Magic, got that all the way up now I'm working on Defense. I just want to go through the game with just magic and defense.

FFI and II on the GBA. It's pretty cool to see the roots of FF!

I'm also trying to get myself to replay Condemned, but that game seriously does not fuck around when it comes to messing with your mind. It's crazy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: