ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
World of Warcraft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yewb  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: World of Warcraft Reply with quote

Cataclysm has been released and I am too lazy to write about it here

---

Cataclysm is announced for release December 7! You can buy it in advance from the official WoW site. When you buy it, the expansion patch automatically downloads to your PC while you play, and your account will unlock for Cataclysm on midnight on Dec 7th, so you can play instantly. Blizzard are also offering great deals on the game and prior expansions, so it's cheap to get WoW ($5), BC ($5) and WotLK ($10) if you don't already. However, DO NOT install the prior expansions if you already have patch 4.0.x installed, as it causes booting problems that cause the game to lock up. Blizz are working on a fix for that, allegedly.

---

4.0.3a is now live as of 23/11! This is the so-called Shattering, in which Deathwing surfaces and has a bit of a havoc-wreaking sesh. Slightly tweaked talents, accelerated levelling 71-80, the implementation of the new world map and I believe flying mounts in Azeroth are all part of this (haven't tested it yet, but you can fly in Dalaran now so that'd make sense).

---

4.0.1 is live as of 12/10 for the US and 13/10 for the UK. This includes all talent and gear changes, plus mastery, reforging, significant and very useful UI changes and class/skill changes! Ammo is removed, paladins have a new resource and various other changes have been made. To give you an idea of how influential some of these changes are, as a shadow priest at 61, my DPS has doubled.

---

Well... I looked through the first seven pages of this forum (going back to last post Aug 2009) and didn't find any thread based on general WoW discussion... which surprised me, I'll admit.

Soooo. Any other WoW fans on the site? Leading question, 'cause I know there are, but I'd like to hear from some. I'm by no means a great WoW player - I only have one level 80, a paladin, but I'm currently working on a priest and a rogue. That's right, I'm THAT kind of player <_<

I've set up #wowhero on irc.gamesurge.net - the same network as the official SH channel, #scorehero - for anyone who wants advice, banter or simple conversation with other WoW players... it won't get anywhere without activity, though, so join and give it a try

Instructions for entering #wowhero

Open mIRC. Once you've bypassed the welcome screen, you'll see a window. You CAN do everything in this window, but that won't teach you anything, so I've outlined more general instructions below.

Type the following and hit Enter.

/server irc.gamesurge.net

After a few seconds you should see a massive wall of text. This means it has worked. If you are not connected to the Internet, if your network/ISP (rare) blocks IRC or if there are other connection issues, you will see only a few blue messages as your client attempts to find the server and fails.

You may need to set a default nickname to join with before it'll let you connect; this can be done using the generic /nick command:

/nick YourNick

where YourNick is the name by which you'd like to be known. Spaces are not acceptable, underscores are.

You won't need to do this every time you load up IRC, but you will need to reconnect to the server whenever you load it (one click of the lightning bolt at the top-left).

Once you're successfully connected to the server, you can join as many channels as you like. A box should pop up that will ask you to type a channel name into it; this is not necessary every time you want to join a new channel. You can be in as many channels as you like simultaneously. To join another channel, simply type the following and hit Enter:

/join #channel

where #channel is the name of the channel you wish to join. Spaces are not acceptable. Underscores are. Should you wish to "create" a channel, use the same command (/join) and register it on the GameSurge site.

To recap, to connect to GameSurge and join the channel #wowhero, the only three commands you need to know are

/nick YourNick

/server irc.gamesurge.net

/join #wowhero

I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 14 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
sextypething  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always end up getting deleted or closed.

I played pretty heavily a couple years back, raided during Burning Crusade, had a fully geared tier 6 restoration Shaman, although unlike most resto shamans I refused to use chain heal. Ran with some of the best players on Dark Iron never had a problem keeping my groups healed without spamming it, and I had a great time doing it.

Ended up selling the account, bought me a new copy of the game after about 6 months without playing, and I haven't played steady since then. I have a 73 Shaman on Grizzly Hills, and I can't really be bothered to finish leveling him, just too busy. Can't wait for Cataclysm, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xTHExLOCUSTx
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only started playing maybe 9 months ago, and have played on and off since then - trying to deal with periodic bouts of 4k+ latency is annoying to say the least - but whenever I have a clear few hours with minimal (40-70ms) latency I'm usually playing.

Would like to get my paladin to 80 before Cataclysm, 'cause I'd like to explore all the content before it gets ripped to shreds and rebuilt in a totally different style, but I'm totally looking forward to the expansion nonetheless.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Thrice  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for like 10 months and had a 80 orc warlock and an 80 troll shaman. Raided Naxx up to the Coliseum, I quit when MW2 came out and I don't feel like playing WoW anymore. Both of my characters were geared pretty well

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah? I don't see myself ever being into hardcoar raiding, I enjoy levelling too much and would like to level one of every class to at least 60. Who knows, though - maybe when I get my paladin or priest to 80 I'll feel differently.

Dungeon finder tool made levelling a dozen times more fun.
JOE2210 wrote:
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played since a tiny bit after launch, and if it weren't for the combination of no money whatsoever, and a total shit computer, I'd still be playing it.

I only raided hardcore in Classic though, and only up to BWL, because by the time our guild was doing AQ/Naxx, I had started grinding for High Warlord.

In BC I raided bits of SSC and TK, but then the guild fell apart and I quit for about seven months. The guild came back for Wrath, but ended up falling apart very quickly due to our new people being total fucking terribles, and a chunk of key raiders making a literally compulsory decision to transfer servers one night. The guild hasn't recovered since then, and I ran out of money to keep playing. Some of us still keep in touch on our guild forum.

But yeah, I've been around the block on WoW, and I plan to see it through for as long as possible. Hopefully Cataclysm will make raiding better, since Wrath was mostly disappointing in that respect...actually Wrath was disappointing in almost every respect aside from Northrend itself.

Before being forced to quit, I had three 80's, my Warrior (my main and HWL character), my Shaman (my main from Classic until I started grinding HWL on my Warrior), and a Death Knight that I leveled to 80 before even working on my Warrior when I bought Wrath.

Also, I play(ed) Horde on Kil'Jaeden. Screw that Alliance noise! I've been Horde since I started and don't plan on changing that, although now that I can make Horde and Alliance on the same PvP server, I may make a character or two just for the lulz.

Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I don't think I've ever enjoyed solo WoW play as much as when playing the DK start quests. Hate the class itself - it feels awkward to play and I like a class to feel polished - but loved the starting quests.
JOE2210 wrote:
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried playing it, but never really got into it. I think the highest I managed to get before I quit of boredom was 25 or so. It was just SOOOO boring.

Get Quest, run, get items for quest, run, finish quest, repeat.

Unless I'm missing something here, questing is the fastest way to level from what I've heard.

But Apparently, my 12 year old nephew got one of my characters to 80... I don't see how.
JimmyHero33  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed WOW on my laptop and i click "Play" and it says this

failed to find a suitable display device. closing program

anyone know what to do or what's wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
I tried playing it, but never really got into it. I think the highest I managed to get before I quit of boredom was 25 or so. It was just SOOOO boring.

Get Quest, run, get items for quest, run, finish quest, repeat.

Unless I'm missing something here, questing is the fastest way to level from what I've heard.

But Apparently, my 12 year old nephew got one of my characters to 80... I don't see how.

Yeah, you're missing something. Instancing is more fun and with the new LFG (DF) tool, the fastest consistent way to level almost any character.
JOE2210 wrote:
beingmused  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started in December, have an 80 paladin on Malygos and am in an alliance raiding guild that's working on wing 3 of ICC. Leveling is relatively quick once you get the hang of things; it is kind of a solo-game until you hit 80 except for random dungeons (which you should do as much as possible), but then at 80 the game opens up and you can find whatever kind of social experience you want.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
DPooch  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 55 Undead Prot Warrior, I love my tank.

And my 35 Undead Combat Rogue, but I'm almost exclusively on my Warrior to try to finally get one to 80. 60 would be nice too, never got there.

I made a DK but it's back to my warrior after the story quests are over.

Can't wait to do For the Horde and ICC and whatnot.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: poochz0rz
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside, and sorry for going off-topic, but does anyone have any idea what's happening with the whole Telia/VM traffic-shaping thing?

If anyone's not heard of it, there was a massive deal late last year about a (Scandinavian?) company responsible for controlling a large proportion of internet traffic. Apparently they were misidentifying a lot of gaming (high-priority) traffic, including WoW, as P2P (low-priority) traffic and throttling it accordingly, which was leading to a lot of WoW players on ISPs like Virgin Media and AOL experiencing massive latency, rendering the game unplayable.

From what I've heard, it's alright for most people now, but I'm still getting periodic bouts of latency as high as 11k in some cases, which obviously makes the game unplayable (unless you're a paladin or something >_>) - so is this the classic P2P misidentification at work?

AIA

(Also, yeah, I got a DK to 63 and got bored, they're just not that fun to play IMO.)
JOE2210 wrote:
Slayer17  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an 80 Human Warrior on Venture Co. I've been raiding since WotLK came out, and have pretty much always enjoyed it.

I was very well geared during the tier 7 content(Betrayer of Humanty FTW!), but I stopped playing after seeing all the t8 content.

Now I'm still gearing up. I've got a decent ICC 10 group that goes every week and I try to PUG icc 25 now and then.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Venture+Co&cn=Eternalblaze

I logged out in my offspec Prot gear, but oh well.

Oh, and one of my 80 mounts is the famed Time-Lost Proto-Drake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slayer17 wrote:

Oh, and one of my 80 mounts is the famed Time-Lost Proto-Drake

You f'n bastard!

I just started working on the rare mobs hunting, and I have 7 or so in Northrend, but I haven't seen any in Storm Peaks yet, let along the TLPD.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: