ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
World Tour Vocals (Tutorial-in-progress)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: World Tour Vocals (Tutorial-in-progress) Reply with quote

Recently I've had the urge to create vocals for World Tour. Due to RawkTour not supporting the vocals format, I decided to take some research upon it. Here's what I've found so far.

NOTE: The research I've been doing is on About a Girl; the procedure may/will vary for other songs.

NOTE 2: This tutorial is done with the Wii version of Guitar Hero: World Tour. I suspect that the process may also be applicable to World Tour PC, World Tour PS2, and all of the Wii World Tour variants (Metallica, Smash Hits, and Van Halen).

NOTE 3: THIS DOES NOT SUPPORT GUITAR HERO 5. While it may in the future, I haven't bothered looking at the paks for said game yet.

EXTRACTING THE PAK FILES:
(Note: This process may be different on a PC and PlayStation 2.)
(Note 2: This focuses on World Tour.)

1) Download WiiScrubber 1.40. Not too hard to find; I am not going to post links as this tutorial is, as-of-now, incomplete.
2) Open your ISO. You need to generate the key.bin first.
3) Browse to ROOT/songs.
4) Extract aboutagirl.pak.ngc to a location of your choice.

GETTING STARTED:
1) Open QueenBee v1.9 on your PC. Again, find a source elsewhere.
2) Open aboutagirl.pak.ngc. Be sure the setting is "Wii (NGC)" and that "Backup" is checked.
3) Extract "26A2C6B7" to a location on your desktop.
4) Double-click on aboutagirl.mid.qb.ngc. You will now see the contents in QueenBee.

PART ONE: THE LYRICS
1) Open up "26A2C6B7" in Notepad.
2) You will see this:

(Note: Where you see "Test", "TestBeta" and the like, those are lyrics that I replaced.)

Here's how the lyrics work:
Code:
1) Lyrics are contained within the "26A2C6B7" file (at least on About a Girl, I have not tried other QBs yet.)  Neversoft seems to use a different method of lyrics than HMX.
   A) Lyrics:
   - Format appears to run as such:
      (8-Digit Code here) "\L(Lyric/Lyrics)"
      Maybe the Lyrics has to do with specific numbers in the song, I'm not sure.
      The \L symoblizes a lyric, I believe.  I wonder what a talkie looks like.
      The differences between NVRSFT and HMX is that NS seems to use specific lyrics that can be called and re-called to the game.  Easier in some ways, and more difficult in others.

I'll return to the 8-Digit Code idea later. In the meantime, lyrics are easily editable (though I have not tried changing around the bars with multiple lyrics. Should work the same though.)

PART TWO: PITCH AND LOCATION
1)Open the QB Search and search for FD288520. This gives you a SectionArray. Look at the ArrayInteger that is below it; click it, and you will see a window like this (not exactly; recall that I have edited the QB ever-so-slightly).

Here's my research as to how these work.
Code:
Found within the "Section Array" with ID "FD288520" (Again, this is just on About a Girl.  I don't know about other songs yet.)
   Basically, we can divide the ArrayInteger into three parts:
      1) The starting position of the note
      2) The length of the note
      3) The MIDI number of the note.

Take, for example:

This was confirmed by observing the "About a Girl" MIDI created by RawkSD.

So notes are easily modifiable, as you can see. For fun I changed a ton of values around, and they ended up just fine.

If you want to edit starting position values, though, you must follow this:

A) Search for "9FFBF1F5" in QueenBee. You will end up with a SectionArray.
B) Each StructHeader has two parts: a StructItemInteger and a StructItemQBKeyStringQs. The IDs on each of these, as you may note, are the same for each StructHeader found within the SectionArray (mind you, they are different from each other). This is easier seen than told:

Now, as for the Values:
1) The StructItemInteger Value is the starting position of each note. While I haven't tested to see what would happen if there was a mismatch here and within the aforementioned SectionArray, I can pretty much guarantee that something bad would happen.
2) The StructItemQBKeyStringQs Value is actually an 8-digit code... that can be found in the text file that contains the lyrics. As an example, the first StructHeader has Values of 19955 and C5088519. When searching for C5088519 in the lyrics, we find lyric "\LTestBeta" (in mine; you should find "\LI" or something akin to that.). So you'll need to change the starting positions in both areas if you wish to modify existing notes.

PART THREE: PHRASES
This is actually really easy.
Code:
3) Phrases
   A) I think I found where the phrases are. 
      About a Girl: SectionArray ID 26E30021
      It appears to go as follows:
         Starting Position
         Type of Phrase

Examples:

I believe "0" denotes that there are no notes in that phrase.
      "1" and "2" denote phrase changes (think face-off maybe?)

B) Also, check SectionArray ID 757017D7.  That has phrase markers too (curiously, none of the "zeroes").

Very, very self-explanatory; but since I've been giving pictures, I'll give some more.

It appears that phrases can be added immensely easily; they just have to follow the 1-2-1-2 pattern, while 0s can be thrown in anywhere.

KNOWN ISSUES AND LIMITATIONS
-You can add notes plenty easily; it just takes a lot of modifications to the QB. The problem is, I've never gotten a lyric to attach successfully to a note. This needs to be looked into.
-There's no easy "converter" yet. And I'm not talented enough to make one. Considering that GameZelda is more often away from SH than he is actually here, and TheGHOST team is effectively dissolved, I'm not holding my breath.
-We're still limited to finishing the song before the original length runs out.

PROS AND CONS: WORLD TOUR VS. ROCK BAND 2
There shouldn't be an upside to this. But there is.

Neversoft's vocal engine grades strictly upon player input and depends upon no external sources to work correctly. In contrast, Harmonix's engine uses "weights.bin"s that tell the game how strictly to grade the player during each phrase. While HMX's is debatably the winner in the retail game, for homebrew, it's a mess- in the year that RawkSD has been out no member of the team has been able to identify the cause of "broken talkies" and the like. As Neversoft's engine does everything internally, talkies are not an issue and the game can be played almost as if it is normal.

This won't really be applicable unless someone comes up with a tool or the know-how; richt now it's just a very cool proof of concept. But I'd love for somebody to help me, and the community, get the ball rolling on vocal customs.

After all, our singers rock.

CREDITS
-Nanook: QueenBee Parser
-AerialX: RawkTour/RawkSD/Riivolution
-tueidj: RawkSD/Riivolution
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: MIDI notes for World Tour talkies are found on MIDI note #26. I think this falls into the "easier than HMX" camp.
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice finds man. Maybe this will further GHWT customs on all consoles/pc.
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuardianDemon wrote:
Nice finds man. Maybe this will further GHWT customs on all consoles/pc.

Well, on Wii and PC, yes. Possibly PS2 as well.

Like you once said, though, QueenBee still needs to be updated for GHWT+ on Xbox 360.

I'm forgetting a console...

Oh yeah, PS3. BAHAHA.

(No, seriously, I hope Geohotz releases that thing soon.)
AerialX  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComicBookGuru wrote:
Like you once said, though, QueenBee still needs to be updated for GHWT+ on Xbox 360.

Uh, this was done with RawkTour, which would suggest Queen Bee handles it just fine.

FYI: The lyric string filenames are different for each song. As I've mentioned before, the reason RawkTour doesn't support vocals is because we don't yet know how to determine that filename, and I didn't want to use a hacky solution to find it (which would be to check an existing lyric from the original song and find what file it appears in). Maybe I'll come back to it someday after Rawk3.
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and not only that, but i remember in mahoppiangoons original GH3 tutorial, someone said that the WT and upwards all have the same stuff chartwise, even encryption.

Edit : AHHH!! It was you who said that !!

ComicBookGuru wrote:
kylop wrote:
I was able to get custom audio on the Wii GH5 a few weeks ago, but I had the same problem- I couldn't edit the charts. I know this is an Xbox thread and this post is unnecessary, but I just like to brag. ;)

But it's the same as GHWT and Aaron technically figured it out, so I don't know if that really counts :P
AerialX  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuardianDemon wrote:
Yeah, and not only that, but i remember in mahoppiangoons original GH3 tutorial, someone said that the WT and upwards all have the same stuff chartwise, even encryption.

ComicBookGuru wrote:
kylop wrote:
I was able to get custom audio on the Wii GH5 a few weeks ago, but I had the same problem- I couldn't edit the charts. I know this is an Xbox thread and this post is unnecessary, but I just like to brag. ;)

But it's the same as GHWT and Aaron technically figured it out, so I don't know if that really counts :P

Well, that's not really right. Chartwise, only GH4 engine games are the same (WT, VH, SH, and M). GH5 and BH charts are kinda similar in structure to the GH4 engine - RawkSD actually imports from both engines with the same code because of that - but the format is completely different, since the GH5 engine doesn't use the QB format at all for the chart.
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok so. I havent looked at 5/BH game files yet, because cant seem to get to them... And guess even if i could, they'ed be useless without QB.
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerialX wrote:
GuardianDemon wrote:

ComicBookGuru wrote:
kylop wrote:

Well, that's not really right. Chartwise, only GH4 engine games are the same (WT, VH, SH, and M). GH5 and BH charts are kinda similar in structure to the GH4 engine - RawkSD actually imports from both engines with the same code because of that - but the format is completely different, since the GH5 engine doesn't use the QB format at all for the chart.

I was talking about the audio in that post, haha. Never thought it would be dug up.

But yes, I know it's hacky; but if I can figure out how to do it, then surely someont else will do it. The end goal here for me isn't ease of use but seeing how to do it and telling others how.
AerialX  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComicBookGuru wrote:
AerialX wrote:
GuardianDemon wrote:

ComicBookGuru wrote:
kylop wrote:

I was talking about the audio in that post, haha. Never thought it would be dug up.

But yes, I know it's hacky; but if I can figure out how to do it, then surely someont else will do it. The end goal here for me isn't ease of use but seeing how to do it and telling others how.

Hm? I was talking about RawkTour being hacky, and the only method I could've used to determine the lyric file. To figure it out properly means using a QB checksum string generator and trying everything you can... Maybe a dictionary attack. I should make a QB bruteforcer someday, there are still some GH5 string checksums I haven't figured out yet.

btw, can I send you on an unrelated QueenBee mission? >.>
Open up the note charts from GH3 in Queen Bee and map the drum notes to the proper pads. It's an easy enough format, { time, note }, note being a number inbetween 0 to 100ish. Time being the usual milliseconds. They might be standard drum MIDI notes, but I'm not sure about that.
To find the drum note set, use Queen Bee's string search (or is it name search) and look for "SONGID_drums_notes" which should direct you to the right set of notes.
thebestcoder923  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

i found out two things the WT Lyrics Format is for is the same in all games using the same system and 2 the only difference is in a game like GHVH You have it as a different file completely and AX your method of charting drums for GH3 is Hard as Hell
RockBandKing  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any easy way to do it?

Maybe importing rock band vocals?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: