ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How to go about getting better at Drums? UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: How to go about getting better at Drums? UPDATE Reply with quote

Im currently about a medium level drummer w GH:WT, GH:M, GH:SH. What would be the best game to play on w my WT kit, and why?

UPDATE: Getting GH5 today, is that better than any of the other games i have already mentioned

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen

Last edited by GuitarGeek08 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mbnasir6  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GH:WT

it has a huge range of songs, easy to hard
Fast to odd tempoed, all different types of beats which you'll find in the latter games

GHM is just easy songs - 2 or 3 songs with fast rhythm and strange rolls - really fast songs, so its best not to learn from that
StormEagle  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the exact opposite. I learned the most by playing GH: Metallica. Especially for the bassdrum.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHWT is good for learning different patterns. After playing around with that a bit move to GHM for more advanced (more bass ) patterns. GHSH is pretty much divided into too easy and too hard songs for it to be a good choice for learning purposes.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 0756262955296727
g0dly  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive got about 200 songs on GH5 so if you have all the imports and a lot of DLC thats your way to go...

but you dont have that game so i would have to say that smash hits has the best range of songs and WT is second.
Olinea  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can only really speak for GH5, since that's how I went from Medium ---> (Sorta) Expert.

GH5 is a bit weird for learning, because its tier system is awkward. Some songs are horribly undertiered (*cough Comedown*) and some are undertiered (Superstition). That being said, it actually has a tier system, as opposed to WT and VH (I don't have GHM or SH), and most of them are appropriately placed. It'll encompass everything you need to know, except maybe fast rolls, but you can get substitutes like Sowing Season.

Van Halen has an awkward timing window, in my opinion.

World Tour, eh, I don't play it often enough. It can be difficult to gauge how difficult a song's going to be just by listening to it.
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
JWideman  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WT doesn't have tiers? That explains a LOT.
mbnasir6  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0dly wrote:
well ive got about 200 songs on GH5 so if you have all the imports and a lot of DLC thats your way to go...

but you dont have that game so i would have to say that smash hits has the best range of songs and WT is second.

What has you having 200 DLC have to do with him? Are you gonna give them to him?
superspaz117  

Location: Pluto, occasionally hiding from Jesus in the centre of the sun

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbnasir6 wrote:
g0dly wrote:

What has you having 200 DLC have to do with him? Are you gonna give them to him?

he is saying that IF he has all of the imports and DLC he should try to learn using GH5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a beginner GHWT will be fine to go with as I have started learning with that only. once you have good pick up on that you can go for other two i.e. GHM and GHSH. When I learned with GHWT , I played GH Metallica, and they worked fine. The next week, after no use from the GHM session, I tried playing GHS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I just got my first drumset for a rhythm game a couple days ago, and it's for GH:WoR. Any general advice? I'm having some real trouble with getting confused between using my feet and hands. I started on medium and passed a couple low-mid tier songs, with 3-4 stars on each one, but I'm not combo'ing anything. I tried bat country but failed pretty miserably near the beginning. It didn't take too long for me to turn on auto-kick and play a few songs on expert, which I passed, including Fury of the Storm which was the 3rd song I played.

For some reason I seem to be very good at pad-work, probably because I drum on tables and counters with my knuckles. Anytime I started falling into the yellow on FotS and a roll came up I would shoot back into the green. But with having to worry about kicks, it ruins my ability to coordinate hand movements too.

So basically my problema are A) using my feet on rhythm and B) keeping my hands from falling off rhythm while using my feet also.

I suppose what would be helpful would be some suggestions on songs that would be good for starting out, or just tips in general. Unfortunately the only rhythm game with drums I have would be GH:WoR since my GH:WT, GH5, GH:M, GH:SH, and RB2 got stolen.
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Hey guys I just got my first drumset for a rhythm game a couple days ago, and it's for GH:WoR. Any general advice? I'm having some real trouble with getting confused between using my feet and hands. I started on medium and passed a couple low-mid tier songs, with 3-4 stars on each one, but I'm not combo'ing anything. I tried bat country but failed pretty miserably near the beginning. It didn't take too long for me to turn on auto-kick and play a few songs on expert, which I passed, including Fury of the Storm which was the 3rd song I played.

For some reason I seem to be very good at pad-work, probably because I drum on tables and counters with my knuckles. Anytime I started falling into the yellow on FotS and a roll came up I would shoot back into the green. But with having to worry about kicks, it ruins my ability to coordinate hand movements too.

So basically my problema are A) using my feet on rhythm and B) keeping my hands from falling off rhythm while using my feet also.

I suppose what would be helpful would be some suggestions on songs that would be good for starting out, or just tips in general. Unfortunately the only rhythm game with drums I have would be GH:WoR since my GH:WT, GH5, GH:M, GH:SH, and RB2 got stolen.

get into the habit of trying to replicate rhythms with your feet throughout your everyday activities. If you can, while finger drumming, focus on a basic 4 on the floor. keep 16ths on right, quarters on left, and then ad lib on your foot. sometimes do eights, throw in two kicks, make it so you can have your hands sort of "autopilot" to the point where you can focus on your feet.

Another good practice is to try and clap and stomp your foot in alternating rhythm. You may look like a retard when first doing it, but a lot of people can't do it, so try it anyway. What this helps to do (clap, stomp, clap, stomp) is solidify your limb independence, which is INTEGRAL to advancing in drumming. if you cant seperate your limbs, complex patterns WILL cause you to fail.

Start the clap and stomp out slow. Seriously. Bust out a metronome and stick it to 60 bpm. Clap when it clicks, stomp halfway in between. when you feel you have a handle on it, slowly move your way up. Before you know it you'll be able to do that at 200 bpm and you wont even be thinking about it. Youll sit down at the drum kit and youll dominate that stuff that was crushing.

It can't be emphasized enough how much limb independence is crucial to drum playing. If you see a beat and then say "oh hey now the kicks are in between the pads, so pad, kick...) by the time you're even thinking "hey now" the notes will have passed you by. It needs to be second nature and you have to treat the kick and pads almost as two seperate entities.

If you want, you can apply what Ive put in this post into some GH Practice Tunes. make a chart thats just RY K RY K RY K RY K for the entire song if you want some sort of feedback on it as well.

Blashyrkh  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Hey guys I just got my first drumset for a rhythm game a couple days ago

You said it all dude. You can't expect to be Dave Haley the second you sit down. Leg independence needs to be worked on. The advice above is great. I'd just add keep practicing, stop when you get frustrated, and come back after a good nights sleep. That makes a world of difference.
n00bpwn3r  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardest problem I have is when there is a bass note then pad notes interchanging i can never stay in rhythm I have gotten better with it lately but for really quick songs I can't combo anything to save my life any advice for improving on that

never mind I read yusuke post maybe I'll try that out.
BlazeDGO  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Yusuke. I'll try that out sometime, since limb independence is one thing I really need to work on. One thing I'm also have trouble with is switching between pads. I guess it's best to explain with an example. In No One Knows there's a part in the verses that goes like this: BK-R-R-RK--R-OK
And a lot of times I have trouble switching from blue to red and keeping my rhythm consistent. There's also a part in the chorus: OK-R-R-RK-R-R-OK-R-R-RK-R-R-OK
I have problems with drum rolls like these where I constantly have to switch pads/cymbals. (BTW I'm not saying I ever attempted NON on Expert, I'm just using that as an example based on what I've played on Hard)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: