SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
JEFF MANGUM TOUR YES!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomsars wrote:
Ah, well, I can see how that'd be an issue, considering 3/4 of post-rock is instrumental. I establish little connection between the quality of music and the lyrics, so I imagine that's one of the reasons I don't like this album. Most of the music doesn't really get me going, and honestly I find the vocals a tad annoying.

Of course, an opinion.

Just curious, why does liking post-rock detract from this album? ITAOTS isn't really post rock at all. I LOVE this album and I LOVE most post-rock, instrumental or not. Neutral Milk Hotel is indie folk/low-fi with very few post rock elements, and definitely not a post-rock band.

I'm just honestly not seeing how "listening to very much post-rock at all" would make this album less great.
Boomsars  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-rock doesn't make this album worse, by any means. Like I said, this album is pretty much the opposite of what appeals to me, and that's because of my tastes. Not much to argue there.

My first post is a little (a lot) misleading. I wasn't really comparing this album to post-rock or saying "you should listen to post-rock instead," it was more along the lines of "this isn't what I expected from hearing people talking about the 'music' part of it and I don't think it's very good." To be completely honest my first post doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not sure where that came from.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, "the 'music' part" .. Making a distinction between vocal melody and instrumentals while listening might cause you to underappreciate something.
evilpacman18  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just downloaded it yesterday and haven't listened to it yet. I've heard mostly good things and I listened to the first two tracks and really enjoyed them.
POKE-JJ  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
I didn't like it a whole lot.

I tried, I honestly did, to like ITAOTS. I just couldn't get into it after 5+ plays of the whole album. I didn't like it, nor thought it was groundbreaking in any way shape or form. It just sounded generic to me.

/opinion

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POKE-JJ wrote:
Twang wrote:
I didn't like it a whole lot.

I tried, I honestly did, to like ITAOTS. I just couldn't get into it after 5+ plays of the whole album. I didn't like it, nor thought it was groundbreaking in any way shape or form. It just sounded generic to me.

/opinion

It took me longer than that to appreciate it, to be honest. I used to listen to mostly metal. I downloaded it after hearing so many great things about it and could barely finish it.

Over a year later I was introduced to Hospice, which broadened my views on music so much that I can't thank Peter Silberman enough. I listened to ITAOTS again and still didn't like it though. I really wanted to understand what all the hype was about though. So I waited a couple more months and listened to it 2-3 more times and it just clicked. I think I was listening to Holland 1945 at that moment. I don't know what it was, and I've never had that happen with an album before, but it was like reaching enlightenment.

It actually turned out to be nearly the favorite moment I've ever had listening to music, minus maybe my first listen to Hospice.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
So you liked ITAOTS, did you?

Check out other folky indie rock.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
The Antlers - Hospice
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Are 3 fairly similar indie-folk styled bands with albums that have deeply meaningful lyrics and are accompanied by great music to deepen the mood.

All three of these albums are GREAT, especially Hospice.

The first time I heard ITAOTS, I absolutely loathed it. I thought Jeff Magnum was so annoying, the lyrics were crap, and damn. I always had a place for Oh Comely though.

It clicked for me on maybe my 20th listen through, since I just let it loop in the background while playing Batman Arkham Asylum, and I caught myself singing to Oh Comely, and I realized how amazing those lyrics are and I was crying a bit <_< Probably my best musical moment ever.

Really, this album divides a lot of people. You either like it because /mu/, you like it because it's amazing, you hate it because /mu/, or you hate it because you loathe it. At least give it a chance, but don't expect anything. Go into it like I did, ignoring all the hype.

On Avery Island though, man that's a very close 2nd.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:

That's kind of an odd opinion. Generally most people, even those who like ITAOTS, don't like On Avery Island that much. Now, I'm with you on this issue, I think it's almost as good, albeit less deep lyrically and meaningfully.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
TheLonging wrote:

That's kind of an odd opinion. Generally most people, even those who like ITAOTS, don't like On Avery Island that much. Now, I'm with you on this issue, I think it's almost as good, albeit less deep lyrically and meaningfully.

I don't really enjoy On Avery Island...Song Against Sex is a GREAT song however. Pree Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye is 14 minutes of worthless junk, in my opinion...
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:
Fugitive wrote:
TheLonging wrote:

I don't really enjoy On Avery Island...Song Against Sex is a GREAT song however. Pree Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye is 14 minutes of worthless junk, in my opinion...

Well, they are quite different albums, though. Personally, I love both dearly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard him, but isn't he like a jewish R.E.M(no racism attended)?
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackmetalhead wrote:

Uh no...just because In The Aeroplane Over The Sea was based on his affection for Anne Frank and dreams he had about her doesn't mean he's jewish =/.

Also, IIIIII LOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUU JESUSSSSSSS CUH RISSSSSSSSSSSST would probably give away that hes not jewish lol.

(Listen to King of Carrot Flowers Part 2 if you are wondering <_<)

As for the R.E.M part, I don't really listen to REM, however I'm going to guess you're talking about the songwriting and its superiority, and you are CORRECT on that part :p.
blackmetalhead  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:
blackmetalhead wrote:

Uh no...just because In The Aeroplane Over The Sea was based on his affection for Anne Frank and dreams he had about her doesn't mean he's jewish =/.

Also, IIIIII LOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUU JESUSSSSSSS CUH RISSSSSSSSSSSST would probably give away that hes not jewish lol.

(Listen to King of Carrot Flowers Part 2 if you are wondering <_<)
Ohh, I just heard something about anne frank and him somewhere, I didn't know, sorry. I heard he sounded like R.E.M kinnda to, I like R.E.M, I mite give him a shot.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not really like REM at all. I mean, they're both kind of an indie/alternative rock, but that's where the similarities end. I wouldn't necessarily expect you do find them that similar if you listen to NMH after hearing a lot of REM.
blackmetalhead  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
He's not really like REM at all. I mean, they're both kind of an indie/alternative rock, but that's where the similarities end. I wouldn't necessarily expect you do find them that similar if you listen to NMH after hearing a lot of REM.
Ohh, well, I'll give him a shot, although I hate indie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: