ProfileProfile Log inLog in
JEFF MANGUM TOUR YES!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
On topic, are there any other band that are like NMH? I quite like them XD

I listed 3 albums earlier that are the same style music, for the most part. Kind of a folky-indie. I'll list them again so you don't have to dig it up.

The Antlers - Hospice : It's a moving concept album about a woman with bone cancer and her husband/lover who has pretty much known her all his life. It goes through their life, the cancer, and concepts of death. Musically it fits very well, it's my favorite album of all time.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago : another folky indie artist that wrote his concept album after banishing himself to solitude in a cabin in some forest. (Hospice was written when Peter Silberman went into solitude in his NYC apartment for 2 years). I'm not really clear on the concept behind this album, but I've been meaning to look it up for awhile as I really think you can feel the emotion behind the music, and musically it's just great.

Arcade Fire - Funeral : I list this because it just fits into the folky indie. I don't think there's a concept behind it, if there is I'm unaware, and it's less meaningful than the previous two albums, but musically it's about as good as it gets.

All those bands have other albums too, obviously, that I'd strongly recommend listening to if you like the ones I listed.
MetalManiac3021  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE2210 wrote:
On topic, are there any other band that are like NMH? I quite like them XD

Try The Apples in Stereo, Bright Eyes, Dragging an Ox Through Water, John Vanderslice, The Microphones, The Mountain Goats, The Olivia Tremor Control, and Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say they sound like a slower acoustic R.E.M.

machchunk wrote:

Curious; would you say Anne Frank had it coming?
She shouldn't have been killed for her race, but yes, she should have died.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackmetalhead wrote:
machchunk wrote:

Yea that's great, sociopath. Some of us, however, know what teenagers are like and don't have an Old Testament view of women.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
blackmetalhead  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
blackmetalhead wrote:
machchunk wrote:

Yea that's great, sociopath. Some of us, however, know what teenagers are like and don't have an Old Testament view of women.
When did I ever say this had anything to do with her being a women? If it was a boy I would say the same thing. Also, What teenagers are like her? The whole book was her complaining saying that people arn't bad, And that it is her parents fault for the war. Also, how does that make me a sociopath? I believe alot of people should die, doesn't make me crazy or bad, just rational.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackmetalhead, please stop with the offtopic comments. I don't want this thread to be locked, but with controversial statements like Anne Frank should have died is too far (and its offtopic).
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely something that grows on you. I kinda like it though. I'm not into harder music (unless it's something from the 70s and even then it's not hard), so this kind of music fits me pretty good. I'm going to have to start listening to them more often. Thanks for pointing this guy out to me
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back when someone made a "Greatest Songs of All Time" thread a long time ago and for some reason the mods ignored it for about 3 pages. thecaptainof posted In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and ever since then I've been addicted to this album. I agree with Davers that it definitely grows on you. If not, it might just click one day. Fugitive himself was ranting a few years ago about how whiny Jeff Mangum sounded
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Fugitive, I listened to Funeral.

ITS AMAZING. I'm trying to get into The Hospice as well.

If you're a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel, please check it out. Its incredible.

I've been listening to some On Avery Island , and Naomi is the best love song, ever. Song Against Sex is a great song as well. Everything else is just kinda blah.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
I remember back when someone made a "Greatest Songs of All Time" thread a long time ago and for some reason the mods ignored it for about 3 pages. thecaptainof posted In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and ever since then I've been addicted to this album. I agree with Davers that it definitely grows on you. If not, it might just click one day. Fugitive himself was ranting a few years ago about how whiny Jeff Mangum sounded

Oh god, yeah I hated Radiohead and NMH. I always ranted about whiny lyrics and "boring instruments." I was exclusively a metalhead, oh man nostalgia.

Southparkhero wrote:
So Fugitive, I listened to Funeral.

ITS AMAZING. I'm trying to get into The Hospice as well.

If you're a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel, please check it out. Its incredible.

I've been listening to some On Avery Island , and Naomi is the best love song, ever. Song Against Sex is a great song as well. Everything else is just kinda blah.

Glad you liked Funeral. Hospice (notice I omitted the "The" ), is my favorite album of all time. Funeral is great, but Hospice is entirely another thing to me. Look up the lyrics and concept of the album while you listen to it, that makes it a lot deeper if you understand it. I've written multiple "reviews" of why I like it so much in the favorite albums, favorite bands, and favorite whatever threads that are scattered across Music Discussion.

Definitely check out the Bon Iver CD I recommended too. For Emma, Forever Ago quickly because one of my favorite albums after a single listen. And if you like Bon Iver you should definitely go for Volcano Choir next as it was a side project of Justin Vernon's.

As for On Avery Island, I never got super into it. I mean, it's good, and I like it, but it never clicked and meant as much to me as ITAOTS did. So I'm kinda with you on the "blah" feeling. Not saying I dislike it though.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
Oh god, yeah I hated Radiohead and NMH. I always ranted about whiny lyrics and "boring instruments." I was exclusively a metalhead, oh man nostalgia.

It's a bitch
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Fugitive wrote:

It's a bitch

I'm starting to like Radiohead as well. OK Computer is fantastic.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWyIPKV81U

A couple months ago, in NYC, there was a benefit concert for Chris Knox. Mangum covered one of his songs. For some reason, I didn't hear it until someone showed me yesterday, and its awesome. I know some people haven't heard it, so check it out.
SteroidPirate  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come back Jeff.

killzonedout  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't listened to "On Avery Island," but "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is fantastic. There's not one weak point on the album, and it's arguably one of the best albums of the 90's.

Is Avery Island worth listening to, by the way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: