SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
JEFF MANGUM TOUR YES!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killzonedout wrote:
Is Avery Island worth listening to, by the way?

Of course. All music is worth listening to at least once.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaMoney wrote:
killzonedout wrote:

Of course. All music is worth listening to at least once.

I somehow doubt that's what he meant

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killzonedout wrote:
I still haven't listened to "On Avery Island," but "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is fantastic. There's not one weak point on the album, and it's arguably one of the best albums of the 90's.

Yes, but Live at Jittery Joe's has (in my opinion) better versions of the songs off On Avery Island.
Chaosxreigns  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:
killzonedout wrote:
I still haven't listened to "On Avery Island," but "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is fantastic. There's not one weak point on the album, and it's arguably one of the best albums of the 90's.

Yes, but Live at Jittery Joe's has (in my opinion) better versions of the songs off On Avery Island.

Gotta agree with stewo. Live at Jittery Joe's is possibly the best recorded set of NMH songs in my opinion. I've got some other live stuff that I just recently downloaded that still has to be listened to, but definitely give On Avery Island and Live at Jittery Joe's a listen or two. You won't be dissapointed.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to ITAOTS all the way through for the first time.

I listen to music first and foremost for the lyrics, and lyrics are often what make or break a song or album for me. I just want to point that out before I pass judgment on this album.

Stylistically and in terms of genre, it's everything I expected. Lyrically, going on reviews here and elsewhere, I expected it to be outstanding, and it lived up to that hype very well. As a full album, I don't think I could name a single one that matches it lyrically. It made me think - a lot, and in uncomfortable detail - how it would feel to watch a loved one die, which I presume was a large part of its intent. And, moreover, it's one of the few albums where I don't feel I personally could add a single thing to the lyrics. Pretty much perfect, and for that reason I'll be listening to the album again.

Musically, however - no, that's wrong. Instrumentally, it was a letdown. As I said, I was expecting it to be pretty much as it is stylistically, and there's nothing wrong with the style. That said, I felt it was quite unoriginal, and I could see where each song was going instrumentally well before I heard it. At times, listening to the album felt like a chore, and the beautiful lyrics were the only thing really that kept me listening. The instrumental parts more or less spoiled it for me, unfortunately.

Oh Comely is the highlight for me, along with Holland, 1945.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
lazor  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Comely is the most beautiful song of the 90s.
CrimsonBlaziken  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in HMV today and I saw In the Aeroplane over the Sea in HMV for £10, remembering this thread and the raving about it, I decided to buy it. Time to see what all the fuss about

I have already heard Holland, 1945 on YouTube and am now just starting King of Carrot Flowers Part 2 & 3. Loving what I'm hearing so far.

P.s: The foldout that comes with the album with the lyrics in the form of a broadsheet was a very nice touch, I thought, certainly justifies trying to get it on CD instead of from iTunes.

Current Goal:
- Post some more on SH!
- Fail less.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: CrimsonSH PSN Name: Phaaze Wii Friend Code: 5402889825468002
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't heard anything 'till you hear the bootlegs.

CrimsonBlaziken wrote:
P.s: The foldout that comes with the album with the lyrics in the form of a broadsheet was a very nice touch, I thought, certainly justifies trying to get it on CD instead of from iTunes.

Oh yes. Mine is currently sitting in my school binder. It's pretty much amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to ITAOTS many times, and I always thought it was pretty great, but eventually I kind of just arrived at this point where I just lie back and think "Damn, why is this album so awesome?"

I don't even know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I tried to like it, honestly. But I just couldn't, no matter how mcuh of a masterpiece I thought it should be.

I understand the lyrics are meaningful, yes, and that definitely plays a part in music for me. However, at the same time, if I wanted to solely focus on the words, I'd much rather just read poetry.

Can't really say I'm the largest indie fan in the world either, but I know of a few albums that transcend genres and I think are great, even though I more or less dislike the genre.

I'm not going to go on a tirade trying to convince everyone that the album is horrible, because that's really only how I think of it. To each his own, I guess. Just throwing my reaction out there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samtheman wrote:
Well, I listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I tried to like it, honestly. But I just couldn't, no matter how mcuh of a masterpiece I thought it should be.

I understand the lyrics are meaningful, yes, and that definitely plays a part in music for me. However, at the same time, if I wanted to solely focus on the words, I'd much rather just read poetry.

I've listened to about 75% of the album and I agree with you totally. Holland is the only song I've really enjoyed so far, the pace is good and I like the lo-fi sound. The biggest issue I have is that Mangum's lyrics are not smooth at all, he would fit much better as like a performing poet or something. Great lyrics do not automatically mean great music, and this is the obvious case here. Oh Comely the song you guys have been calling like the most beautiful song of the 90s I couldn't even finish. It had no hook whatsoever and it was way too long.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I think Mangum's lyrics are.. okay. They're really good but if I were to name drop some bands with amazing lyrics, Neutral Milk Hotel wouldn't be on there.

Oh Comely off the bat has an unusual progression compared to the rest of the album (I-bVI). I think that might have caught me the first time I listened to it, but I'm unsure.
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may interest you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
This may interest you.

$20 says it's fake.
Olinea  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of all of the talk about Neutral Milk Hotel, I'll listen to the first song by them that someone posts in this thread.

What genre are these guys, anyways? (True sign of laziness, not looking it up, but whatever)
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: